Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What are you talking about? There was zero chance for survival for the people above the floors where the planes crashed. Why don't you understand that?

In the sharpness of 20/20 hindsight is it not clear that a half a dozen large helicopters could have rescued virtually everyone? Why is that not a standard tactic in a high rise NY fire?

I would think there are 6 or 8 big birds around NYC.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I will remember the policemen and firemen running up the tower stairs as citizens were escaping. I will remember the people jumping to their deaths. I will acknowledge many more will die a horrible deaths from strange cancers and respiratory diseases because of the "dust"

I know that what we saw that day will pale compared to Obama giving Iran the bomb and increasing terrorism exponentially...and how that will affect all of us in our country in the future. Every politician has blood on their hands
I have the same memories as you. Seeing people jump to their death, knowing this was the only way, tore out a piece of my heart. I also experienced more due to my work. Each day, throughout the day, I had to look for names of the dead/missing and match them against our database as we were planning communications to notify our constituents about the loss. When I saw a match, and then another, and more, it was all I could do to compose myself. When I read our records of the dead, learning about their lives, some with young children, it broke my heart. I said a prayer for each and their families as I learned their fate. One was on the plane that went down in Shanksville, the others in the towers. I had doc friends who were in NYC and set up sidewalk triage units. When they told me story after story of what the area was like, and how they waited for patients - but none came, some choking up as they shared this, I'll never forget the pain I saw and felt those days afterwards.

As to your comments about the Iran deal, your post is sadly, eerily, very true. I know more about the radical Iranian psyche than I care to - firsthand experience unfortunately. They CANNOT be trusted - I wouldn't give them one centimeter of wiggle room! Most, if not all, Muslim Iranians were raised with an extreme hatred for Israel - and some for America. Their goal is to wipe Israel off the map, and then if they could, they'd do the same to us.

Our politicians are the biggest bunch of pushovers I've ever seen! It's like they are stepford politicians

Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
In the sharpness of 20/20 hindsight is it not clear that a half a dozen large helicopters could have rescued virtually everyone? Why is that not a standard tactic in a high rise NY fire?

The wires and the makeup of the rooftops of the buildings. It was impossible for them to land among the antennas.

I give up.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
The wires and the makeup of the rooftops of the buildings. It was impossible for them to land among the antennas.

I give up.
Sorry that is an easily solvable problem. You have areas on the building set up without wires and antennae. How is that for clever? Build them into the fire code. If you have the possibility of people being trapped without being able to go down you at least attempt to leave an escape path.

This is not rocket science. And you could lift off a lesser number on long tethers even if the roof was difficult.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:56 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Stupidity reigns ...

I will yell from every mountaintop about not repeating the mistakes that led us to 9/11... those mistakes are being grossly repeated by Obama
Next time it might be 30 million Americans

So as politely as I can say ... you be quiet ...
Pathetic is some Americans who live in a bubble

We honor our fellow Americans by NOT allowing politicians to fail at keeping our homeland safe.
Perhaps you need to be reminded of the nationalities of the hijackers on 9/11.
They were Saudi nationals and Dubya whisked the Bin Laden family out of the US after the attacks. I suggest you check out who our "frenimies" are instead.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I was at the WTC on 9/11. I was there in 1993, too.

Lost many, many neighbors, friends and colleagues, too.

Like anything, those who were in NY or DC and/or lost people they cared about are going to react differently than those who watched the day unfold on TV or were too young to comprehend.
Same here.

It's different for us. I call my "escape mate" every year at 8:46, or she calls me. We were coworkers who didn't really know each other that well--she was new and a lot younger than me. We decided to go get coffee together that morning at our cafeteria, and we were walking out carrying our coffee and breakfast when AA11 slammed into us. We are the closest of friends now.

Lost coworkers and friends are thought of every year and always will be.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I really need to ask, if anyone was above the 85th floor or so of the towers, was there anything they should have done differently to survive?

Is it ever possible to jump 75+ floors and survive? What if you land on your feet?
No. The jumpers were unidentifiable splatters. One of my coworkers said, "Ketchup stains with clothing". Four floors is considered survivable. Some people have survived a few higher. Certainly not 75.

In Tower One, the dividing line was this: Everyone on 91 is alive. Everyone on 92 and above is dead. People below 91 died, of course. People in elevators died because the jet fuel was on fire and shot down the shafts and in some cases dropped the elevators full of burning victims down to the B-3 level at the bottom of the shaft. I know people who were on B-3 when those elevators hit and burst out the contents. As you can imagine, they have nightmare memories.

People outside smoking or waiting for cabs on West Street were killed because the high glass windows shattered and shredded them. Other people could have gotten out but waited too long to leave.

Tower Two was hit differently, at an angle, so the dividing lines were not quite as clear.

Much of what happens in such a disaster is a matter of being in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time, which is not in your control, and then deferring your panic until later and making the right decisions, which is. My advice as a survivor: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS know where the exits are, wherever you go. And wear shoes you can run in.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 PM

137 posts, read 125,872 times
How can we forget the day the Government pulled one of the biggest hoax ever on the American people?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I give up.
It was also not feasible or safe for the helicopters to get too close in the thick black smoke that was pouring out of the buildings.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Copters would have burned and crashed. There was no escape past the impact zone..short of an absolute miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies