Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

I was alone in my company's office in Jersey that day at first - I didn't even know what was going on until my mother called to tell me to find a television. My coworkers, who came in later, all knew people in the towers, but I was too young to have formed many connections in World Trade Center. But I remember realizing that our offices could also potentially be considered a target, something I pointed out before leaving for the day at around 11 am after the second tower collapsed. I was later told pretty much everyone followed me out.

I later spent the entire day fielding phone calls and trying to reach friends in the city. My family knew I sometimes went to NYC for work and were all frantically calling me. We didn't know where my boyfriend's ex-wife and son were - she worked in the city and sometimes took the kid with her to work. The grid went down at around 8 pm and we went to bed with a lot of questions.

I didn't lose anyone that day, but I knew a lot of people who lost friends and family.

My best friend lived in a north Jersey commuter town and worked in the city - she was out of the country at the time. But when she came back she saw the parked cars of the people who hadn't made it out in the local commuter train station. She says that hit her pretty hard.

I later worked with people who were in World Trade Center building 7 and basically had front seat tickets to the whole awful thing. They were pretty hypervigilant.

I don't know how I feel about all this memorial stuff. I think i find most of the facebook posts kind of annoying. Basically, if I see one more eagle and flag superimposed over the NYC skyline, I'm gonna puke. A few thousand people died that day - tell me their individual stories. I read as many as I can, but ... that's a lot of deaths. But yeah, tell me who they were. Don't give me symbols.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
I'll never forget the suffering of the victims that day and how our government allowed it.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:29 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
[snip]I don't know how I feel about all this memorial stuff. I think i find most of the facebook posts kind of annoying. Basically, if I see one more eagle and flag superimposed over the NYC skyline, I'm gonna puke. A few thousand people died that day - tell me their individual stories. I read as many as I can, but ... that's a lot of deaths. But yeah, tell me who they were. Don't give me symbols.
9/11 was an attack on America. After that day and for months and months afterward, people flew American flags on their cars, their homes, their businesses, their bikes. People thanked police and firefighters if they saw them, even those who had not been downtown that day, understanding the danger these people face in their jobs. The aftermath of 9/11 drew people together in solidarity against enemies of this country and support for other Americans. I assume it was the same feeling people felt after Pearl Harbor. Yes, the people who died and their loved ones paid the ultimate price for this terrorist attack, but America was the target.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 AM

464 posts, read 451,994 times
9/11 was a tragic event I still recall vividly to this day. I remember getting out of school early, and watching the attacks unfold peaking into a bar that had CNN on full volume. In a way, the events of 9/11 transpired into a very meaningful day in Detroit. I talked to people of various races and ethnicities. I talked to cops. People hugged and met in the streets. Homeless people were invited into bars and given free drinks. Being a liberal or being a conservative didn't matter. For one day, we were one people, American. Racism and prejudice took a brief pause. I was amazed and happy we could truly get together and be one people in a time of need. For everyone who lost relatives that day, may you have a peaceful day of remembrance. For everyone else, may God bless America and make sure we never get a tragedy like this again.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times
I went to my parish office very briefly and as I got out of my car, I was thinking, "This is my generation's Pearl Harbor …"

Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Seems like most have moved on....not much memory of the day.

Me? I worked for many years in the Cantor space.... more than 100 of my friends, colleagues and competitors met with death that day.

Forever, I will remember them, the horror of the moment, and shape of life since.

Old expression: "Lest we forget......." Somehow I think we mostly have.
Sadly this true.

Americans for the most part are clueless.

Sorry for your losses.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
Yes we should always remember this date. I was fourteen at just started high school. Fourteen years later I am 28 and those born at the time are now fourteen. The age I was at the time, and I doubled my age.

Sept 11, 2001 is date America will never forget.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
9/11 was an attack on America. After that day and for months and months afterward, people flew American flags on their cars, their homes, their businesses, their bikes. People thanked police and firefighters if they saw them, even those who had not been downtown that day, understanding the danger these people face in their jobs. The aftermath of 9/11 drew people together in solidarity against enemies of this country and support for other Americans. I assume it was the same feeling people felt after Pearl Harbor. Yes, the people who died and their loved ones paid the ultimate price for this terrorist attack, but America was the target.
I'm objecting to the kitsch that has built up around the attack, not to people honestly coming together. The whole symbolism thing got taken a little too far. A year after the attack, a coworker went to a job interview and was grilled during it as to why she didn't have a flag pin somewhere on her suit. And right now, my FB feed is full of tearful eagles.

It seems like that kind of thing trivializes it.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
I'm objecting to the kitsch that has built up around the attack, not to people honestly coming together. The whole symbolism thing got taken a little too far. A year after the attack, a coworker went to a job interview and was grilled during it as to why she didn't have a flag pin somewhere on her suit. And right now, my FB feed is full of tearful eagles.

It seems like that kind of thing trivializes it.
Yeah, it definitely went too far with all the symbolism. The company that produced all those magnet flags for our cars made a killing.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM

53 posts, read 42,399 times
Quote:
My best friend lived in a north Jersey commuter town and worked in the city - she was out of the country at the time. But when she came back she saw the parked cars of the people who hadn't made it out in the local commuter train station. She says that hit her pretty hard.

I too lived in Northern NJ at the time and remember several train stations with cars that were there for a week or two. It still hits me hard to this day.

I was in 8th grade and remember a low flying jet but didn't think anything of it. About a half hour later kids were getting pulled out one by one by their parents, which seemed very odd. My mom got me at lunch and brought me home. Seeing the videos on the news was surreal, and being so close to NYC the smoke of where the WTC stood was just...difficult to put into words. For the next few weeks having constant military choppers and jets fly over made me realize that our country and the world HAD changed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies