Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:26 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times

Advertisements

I remember vividly the first sketchy reports of the first crash on NPR …

I went to watch CNN and saw -- live -- the second crash …

*shudder*

Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I will remember the policemen and firemen running up the tower stairs as citizens were escaping. I will remember the people jumping to their deaths. I will acknowledge many more will die a horrible deaths from strange cancers and respiratory diseases because of the "dust"

I know that what we saw that day will pale compared to Obama giving Iran the bomb and increasing terrorism exponentially...and how that will affect all of us in our country in the future. Every politician has blood on their hands
Oh be quiet. Pathetic that you can pull Obama into a thread about 9/11.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Sadly, there are many people who think that only events which they personally remember are of any significance.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times
The days after -- clear blue sky with no airplanes … none at all …

Eerie ...

Old 09-11-2015, 07:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post

Eerie ...

Yes. That was eerie. My company's main HQ was in downtown Cleveland, and my office was in a suburb. When the attacks were going on, our phone system, and everything was shut down. The company (a bank) decided to shut operations down and we were sent home at noon. I was scheduled to work from 10AM to 7PM that day. Prior to all planes being grounded I remember standing in our employee parking lot and kept hearing fighter jets. I couldn't see them, but you could tell that they were military. When I got home, I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and not hearing any planes in the sky was definitely up there in terms of eerieness. Later that night, like around 1 in the morning I was awaken to the sound of a low flying helicopter! I was like "WTF?" But it was only a life flight copter.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:55 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post

Eerie ...
Yeah, that was one of the spooky things. Not seeing vapor trails, of hearing the fly-overs.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Seems like most have moved on....not much memory of the day.

Me? I worked for many years in the Cantor space.... more than 100 of my friends, colleagues and competitors met with death that day.

Forever, I will remember them, the horror of the moment, and shape of life since.

Old expression: "Lest we forget......." Somehow I think we mostly have.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
The first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was that it was 9/11. We lost a longtime friend who worked in north tower. Friends lost family members. My spouse and I had been in those buildings dozens and dozens of times for work related meetings, but not that day. I saw the smoke billowing for miles off the tip of Manhattan from my house in Connecticut for days and days afterward. Jets zoomed overhead flying low. 9/11 was a horrible attack by horrible people against innocent men and women just doing their job that day like all of us do our jobs each day.

I think of my friend fondly today and all the survivor families who lost a much loved a father, wife, mother, sister, brother, husband, child, grandparent, or friend.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I remember the day clearly. I was sitting on my bed talking to my friend watching the news. I saw the first tower on fire and hearing how a plane how crashed into it. Then the other plane was flying right towards the second tower and the screen went blank. We both sat silently for a moment and she said "I have to go and call my husband" (he worked in NYC). My husband was getting ready to head to CT and I told him to stay put. The skies were clear, not one cloud. We lived ten miles due south of NYC, right near an airport. It was very silent for the rest of the day. The neighborhood all went out into the street. We decided to turn off the televisions and walk into town with the kids.

I was pregnant with my second child at the time and just numb. I had to go to work later that day to help those who needed a place to go and be with others. So many sad stories I heard that day. Never forget.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
I can tell you exactly where I was on 9/11.

I was a little late getting to work. On the radio, the DJ's were talking about a plane that hit one of the towers. I figured it was probably a bad weather day and a small sightseeing or private plane hit the tower. I pulled into the parking lot and was about to turn off my car, and the DJs said a second plane hitt the other tower. At first, I thought they were trying to make a horrible joke, then I could tell by their tone, they were serious. Once they said it was a commercial jet, I knew we were being attacked.

I went into work, moved a tv into the conference room and turned on to see the smoking towers. A lot of us spent most of the day watching the coverage. I thought it was very odd that others just continued working without as much as peeking their heads in for updates.

Every now and then rumors of planes circling cities like LA, Chicago or Dallas would crop up, and the immediate thought was "where is this going to end."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies