Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,573 times

Advertisements

Wow. I looked in the History forum and the New York City forum, thinking SURELY there must be a place on City-Data to say:

"I remember that day.

"Let us never forget how many innocent victims were murdered that day. And especially let us remember and salute the first responders who gave their lives trying to save people they didn't know."

It's been 14 years. I didn't know anyone who died in New York or DC or in the field in PA, but I still can't think about this day without overwhelming sadness and horror and anger. And I think about it much more often than just the anniversary.

So what about you? Do you even acknowledge this anniversary any more? Or is it too long ago to matter? If you were under 10 at the time, does 9/11 resonate at all for you?

And please, if I've just missed the right place to reply with a tribute, head me in the right direction.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Having had terrorism in my life, as in friends attacked, military missions to do, and alerts, I do not take this day easily. I do not take it easily because it seems to me that the American public act like terrorism started on that day, that they still fail to acknowledge that there were so many attacks, so many hurt, in the many years before. To me, that hurts the most, to see this or that reminded of then, but no rememberance of before.

And with that, I'll let it be here.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Wow. I looked in the History forum and the New York City forum, thinking SURELY there must be a place on City-Data to say:

"I remember that day.

"Let us never forget how many innocent victims were murdered that day. And especially let us remember and salute the first responders who gave their lives trying to save people they didn't know."

It's been 14 years. I didn't know anyone who died in New York or DC or in the field in PA, but I still can't think about this day without overwhelming sadness and horror and anger. And I think about it much more often than just the anniversary.

So what about you? Do you even acknowledge this anniversary any more? Or is it too long ago to matter? If you were under 10 at the time, does 9/11 resonate at all for you?

And please, if I've just missed the right place to reply with a tribute, head me in the right direction.
Anyone under age 20 can't remember it, even if they want to. In 50 years from now, most everyone will have forgotten about it. Even those who were effected by it.

Before 9/11, Pearl Harbor was the day to remember. Now it's 9/11, until the next big disaster comes along. Thats just the way history is.

It was just a bad day in America. But people die unjustly every day of the year. I don't really see any reason to acknowledge it more then the anniversaries of other disasters.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:00 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

"I remember that day.

I don't live anywhere near the part of America that was attacked, and I know no one who was killed. However as an American I still get angry when I think about those people attacking our nation and killing our own citizens on our own soil. The image of those towers collapsing and New York burning will be forever etched in my mind. The scenes on our TV that day looked like a disaster movie, but thanks to the enemy they were our new reality. I don't think about memorials or rememberance events, I think about the fact that the enemy got off easy. We should have nuked them, that would have sent a forever message. The two nations we invaded are still cesspools of violence and terrorism today, while the threat there was diminished it is still there. Today instead our government is about to take in 10000 Syrian refugees. How many ISIS will be among them??? Why are we taking this chance??? What makes anyone think people from that part of the world have had a change of heart toward us?? This is an unacceptable risk, I say no Syrian refugees in the US. Now I agree we need to deal with ISIS, I say send in the troops and wipe them out before they pull off a second 9-11. We need to learn from history and not let it repeat itself.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:53 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Anyone under age 20 can't remember it, even if they want to. In 50 years from now, most everyone will have forgotten about it. Even those who were effected by it.

Before 9/11, Pearl Harbor was the day to remember. Now it's 9/11, until the next big disaster comes along. Thats just the way history is.

It was just a bad day in America. But people die unjustly every day of the year. I don't really see any reason to acknowledge it more then the anniversaries of other disasters.
True.

People have amnesia when it comes to these things.

I bet if you ask some random people on the street what significant event happened on this day, many won't even know.

Just the way it is.

I still remember. RIP to all of them.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times
I was a 12 y/o in school, so probably one of the youngest age groups to truly experience the attacks and their impact on society. What a terrible time.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Believe me! I will never forget that day! It is one of those events that is just forever burned in my memory! May God forever bless the victims and their families for what occured on that horrible day 14 years ago!

Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
It's becoming another page in history as time goes on.
But that is what all events turn into..a page in history after a while.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I remember that day very well and it still seems like a horror movie. The loss of innocent life for nothing but to strike fear.
Terrorism didn't start on that day but it sure brought it to the forefront of our thoughts and changed the way we live.

People will never forget but some may choose to.

Politics and conspiracy theories aside the events of that day are still shockingly sad for the folks who lost their lives and the repercussions that followed.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
I will remember the policemen and firemen running up the tower stairs as citizens were escaping. I will remember the people jumping to their deaths. I will acknowledge many more will die a horrible deaths from strange cancers and respiratory diseases because of the "dust"

I know that what we saw that day will pale compared to Obama giving Iran the bomb and increasing terrorism exponentially...and how that will affect all of us in our country in the future. Every politician has blood on their hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies