Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 AM

659 posts, read 312,821 times

Advertisements

"Don't you all worry. You will be the minority soon..."

Love it! Minorities have been dealing with the issue of being a minority for a long time now, but you can just see from so much written here, how being a minority can be a frightening thing for some. Maybe another observation well worthy of consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Oregon shooting.

As the grim details unfold about this nutcase who decided to go on a shooting rampage at the community college in Oregon, I couldn't help but remember all the comments here about Muslims and what the comments would be today if this guy was a Muslim, from Syria...

Instead it seems he was born in England, a fan of fire arms and interested in the IRA.

So where is the calling for the deportation of all scum from England, and the round up of all fire arms?

Where's the propaganda and mob mentality on this one?

Oh, wait, this terrorist looks more like us...

Last edited by And D; 10-02-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM

History.

I appreciate the compliment about my "polite, thoughtful, and reasonable rebuttals," but I'm not sure I do as well as I would like on all counts. No matter we agree or not as well, since what would this thread be if we all agreed, right? Nonexistent. The back-and-forth about history is also a little encouraging, because at least there is the agreement that history is important. I think it is, though clearly it is easy to be subjective about history as well...

This about whether the Nazis demanded assimilation is perhaps debatable, because there is more than one way to foster assimilation. The Nazis forced everyone to fall in line, aka assimilate, or who knows what would happen to you. Not so much in the case of Jews who they were obviously trying to expunge, but generally anyone considered an "undesirable."

I point to this history and draw this comparison in the context of this thread that is also about "undesirables" as expressed by too many people. Perhaps in this case it is not a question of anyone not knowing this history, but how we may look at the issue of assimilation from different perspectives. I was in no way trying to deflect my point, quite the opposite. Forced, required, preferred, voluntary..., I'm not as intent about assimilation as a lot of people expressing their views here. That's all.

"They weren't interested in assimilating non-Aryans. They were only interested in expelling or killing them." And as such, say for a gay man in Nazi Germany, for example, you made damn sure to take off the make up and assimilate!

Again, I was just in Berlin, and I took some time going through their exhibits, at the Holocaust memorial, along the Berlin Wall, the Checkpoint Charlie museum. No "lecture," just the facts and a bit of semantics perhaps...

Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Terrorism.

Then there is the comment about going to other countries to "start some good old fashioned terrorism on them for a change."

Given a "thumbs up" no less.

That people think this way is perhaps the greatest form of terrorism there is, because clearly the "eye for an eye" mindset just makes everyone blind.

Some can and do argue that the western world has already exacted plenty of terrorism that has lead to more terrorism, but of course we can be very selective about what history we want to know or don't know. We are also very subjective about how we want to interpret these historical facts.

Where does your history start?

BC? AC? Before WWI? After? WWII? Before Zionism? After? When the U.S. belonged to the American Indians, the Mexicans? Before the gas combustion engine? Before the discovery of oil in the Middle East? Before the British Empire? After?

Regardless the when and where, let's go to "other countries and "start some good old fashioned terrorism?"

Really?

So ignorant and sad is this commentary, I think I only reply as some sort of purge. There is no "starting" terrorism anymore you morons. We can only perpetuate it!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 AM

"Christians, Jews and pagans lived in the Middle East long, long before Islam even existed."

Interesting how conservatives, especially religious ones, will put such great emphasis on who was first when it comes to certain history, but when it comes to the people in the United States before the United States was created, well that's another matter.

When it comes to some, the lesson of history is a complete loss, and no doubt I do not have the skills to bring light where the darkness is so profound. Instead I would just suggest we can do better than simply repeat the sad mistakes of history by promoting still more ignorance and violence. Call me progressive if it makes you feel better, but please don't claim to be any sort of historical scholar while you pick your favorite people and preach still more ignorance and intolerance.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 AM

"For somebody who supposedly isn't a Muslim, Obama sure acts like one."

I could go on, but when I get to a comment like this one above, I best excuse myself. Ignorance is a big enough problem as it is. I've often argued it is the biggest problem on our planet, but when coupled with the want to influence others, I suppose we can only hope that better minds will prevail.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:13 PM

35,079 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Prudent security, good idea. Stay alert and aware of the threats and enemies around us, of course. Sensible immigration laws and policies, who would argue otherwise?
Screening hundreds of thousands of people coming in in quick intervals is wildly impractical. Europe does not frown on segregation and discrimination. We do. So the problem is once they come in those numbers they're molding us rather than us molding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
It's the broad-brushed rush to judgement and xenophobia that needs to be checked as well, even though none of us will ever forget 9/11. If it is fair to brand all Muslims with that act of terrorism, for example, then please stay out of politics! We've got enough of those loud mouth right-winging numb skulls running around as it is, just making it worse for everyone as usual...
What is fair is to ask why Muslims' condemnation of 9/11 was wishy washy and equivocal. As in declaiming against "violence in all its forms," which was meant to encompass Zionism.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Wanting to Preserve Your Way of Life Does Not Make You Racist or Fascist
You're right. It makes you xenophobic. With that said, the so-called "Way of Life" is constantly changing. It is not static and it is unrealistic to think that it should be.

[it is what it is]

Old 10-02-2015, 09:35 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
You're right. It makes you xenophobic. With that said, the so-called "Way of Life" is constantly changing. It is not static and it is unrealistic to think that it should be.

[it is what it is]
Another made up word by liberal idiots.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Another made up word by liberal idiots.
Do you have a better word?

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies