Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If immigrants continue to refuse to assimilate, we'll be left with the United Silos of America, a disparate group of cultures with only their own interests at heart.
Exactly! Just a fractured, divided country with people who can't communicate or relate to each other. What's great about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
It's all rubbish anyway.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You might want to read that article again. It's a thinly veiled way of still calling you a racist if you don't accept all of the refugees.
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Well; if you're right, it blew up in the Huff Post's face.
Quote:
Clearly, the world of Herder's enclosed volksgeist, which still lives on in the reticent souls of those Europeans uneasy with the "plastic" reality of globalization, must give way to the world of Žižek.
Zizek argues that since Europeans created globalization, and since globalization is the free movement of money, goods and services, then people should be free to move as well, and Europeans should accept the refugees.

Note that Zizek wants to punish xenophobes as well as militant Muslims.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That's the billion-dollar question. And I wouldn't wait underwater for the answer.
More food trucks and votes for the Dems ?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
More food trucks and votes for the Dems ?
Doing the jobs that Americans won't do. Like vote for Democrats.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:49 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Why don't you address me directly, instead of in these little speeches of yours?

Are you afraid?

Some people prefer to address issues, rather than individuals...particularly individuals who think it's all about them. And frankly, you add little of substance to the discussion because all you do is try to pit liberal against conservative; that's in almost every single post you make.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Oh well. We're xenophobic then. So what?
I think what you probably really meant to say was "Oh well. We're xenophobic then. Who cares."

But, taken at face value, your "So what" question is very interesting.

If you think about the list of foreign nations in which we intervene military or in other ways, it goes on forever. And we often get stuck in quagmires (such as Vietnam and Afghanistan) because we are intervening in countries about whose cultures we have no understanding. And I do think that is related to us being a xenophobic country.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think what you probably really meant to say was "Oh well. We're xenophobic then. Who cares."

But, taken at face value, your "So what" question is very interesting.

If you think about the list of foreign nations in which we intervene military or in other ways, it goes on forever. And we often get stuck in quagmires (such as Vietnam and Afghanistan) because we are intervening in countries about whose cultures we have no understanding. And I do think that is related to us being a xenophobic country.
No, I mean "So what?" And I'd be interested in an answer. If a German says that he doesn't think that his country should take in a million or whatever refugees from Syria, and you shout "xenophobic!" at him, what's the point? I mean, is that an argument?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
No, it is what we make it.

That's the whole point of being a democracy and having national self-determination.

Surrendering before the battle even starts (by denying that there even is a battle) is the liberal way -- to perdition.
For you.

[you'll live...]

Old 10-03-2015, 03:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There are things that should be constant though. One of the main ones is work ethic since we cannot afford to subsidize those whose culture does not encourage education or work.
Then America needs to look itself in the mirror.

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies