Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 PM

368 posts, read 413,388 times

Advertisements

Exactly this Living in Los Angeles, I can tell you first hand that, no immigrants are in any hurry to learn & practice the English language. Its just disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
For what?

Maybe the countries that so many want to emigrate from need to look themselves in the mirror. And fix their ****.

We need to fix our shxt.

[we cannot afford to subsidize those whose culture does not encourage education or work]

Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
We need to fix our shxt.

[we cannot afford to subsidize those whose culture does not encourage education or work]
Agreed and HOW!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I have been trying to find the language to express my discomfort with the presumption that anyone who does not welcome very large numbers of refugees into Europe with widely opened arms is somehow resurrecting the ghost of Hitler. Or the right language to express the proscribed thought that those in Eastern Europe who want to settle only Christian refugees might have appropriate reservations about the very real difficulties of integrating very different cultural and religious practices into their distinct way of life.

Wanting to Preserve Your Way of Life Does Not Make You Racist or Fascist*|*Nathan Gardels

Wow, just wow.

When the "lib" Huff Post starts going AGAINST multiculturalism; things MUST be getting bad in Europe with its illegal alien problem.
Most posters on this board do not live in the European Union so I don't see how Europe's immigration policies should be important to us Americans..

Old 10-04-2015, 09:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Most posters on this board do not live in the European Union so I don't see how Europe's immigration policies should be important to us Americans..
I'd agree but the world's a small place in 2015 and many of the CDF posters DO live in Europe and Asia.

Too; what happens in 1 place CAN affect things in other places. Like what happens in Mexico or Russia can worry us.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Please show me how Hispanics have not assimilated into the US as you slam down your Margeritas and Taco Bell food on Cinco de Mayo while booking your vacations to Cancun again?

"Sneaking" into the US and being "Assimilated" into the US, is two different things. One is an act of "integration," and the other is a "Criminal" Act.

The rest of that is all ludicrous crap. Just because they eat "Cheeseburgers" in Cancun, doesn't mean they are assimilating Americans, no more that Vacationing in Mexico, legally, and paying for it, is the same as an Invitation for them to sneak into America illegally.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:06 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
We need to fix our shxt.

I agree with the fact that we can't afford to subsidize cultures that don't encourage education or work.

But we don't need to fix our **** SO we can take care of those from other cultures that don't encourage education or work….and think their religious laws should over-ride the laws already in place.

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-04-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 11:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
EU immigration/refugee "policies" are an up-to-date example of what can and does happen.

And it ain't looking so good - which is why some EU countries have shut their borders to both.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...frankly, you add little of substance to the discussion because all you do is try to pit liberal against conservative; that's in almost every single post you make.
Boy, talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Quote:
The reason you can't help me is because the defining characteristics of American culture vary and these characteristics have changed, are changing, and will continue to change.
They will change only if we allow them to.

That's what it means to be a democracy and an independent, self-determining country.

"Change is inevitable" is only true if we continue to tolerate illegal immigration -- and massive legal immigration from the Third World.

Quote:
Home Depot posts signs in English and Spanish because in business the only language that matters is money. Looks like a just found one of the defining characteristics of American culture. [money]
And how is money not the defining characteristic of every culture in the world?

Or do they all barter in order to eat?

That would be news to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the defining characteristics of American culture don't vary. There are minority cultures living among us but I am talking about mainstream America. If our cultures changes dramatically it will be via illegal immigration and that is neither lawful nor natural or allowing too many in legally from mostly one ethnic group. Diversity will encourage assimilation the latter produces colonization.
Something tells me that you aren't a part of mainstream American culture and that you detest what it is.
Well said!

Quote:
Well you can "think" what you want but we do have an identifying culture and language. The basics of our culture are still intact. Not saying that there hasn't been some subtle changes over the years aka the melting pot. Today, the melting pot is being discouraged in favor of a salad bowl instead. I blame it on the so-called progressives who encourage this or ethnocentrics that want American culture to reflect theirs instead.
Again, well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...And all because Americans are too self-absorbed to learn anything much about the rest of the world.
But other peoples around the world are SO interested in knowing everything about America.

Sure they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Anyway, to puncture your illusions, today's immigrants acquire English at the same rate or faster as the mythical Europeans of yesteryear. And that includes Latinos.
You have no way of knowing that.

But just throw it out there, anyway. Why not?

Quote:
And they are. And they're changing what it means to be American - a culture doesn't stay static, it evolves.
American culture would evolve even if there were only white people here. We don't need foreigners and non-whites to make make it evolve.

Quote:
Sorry but you don't have a monopoly on what "American" is defined as, or you no longer do. Deal with it.
Sorry, but not all of us are going to surrender to your reverse-colonialism and Kumbaya multiculturalism that will only result in Balkanization and eventual civil war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not really true. MOST Asians who get here at 12 years old or younger usually speak proper English by 18, even the ones born in Vietnam and so on. Way too many US born Hispanics speak poor English with worse grammar than me AND with a heavy accent by 18.

You just need to accept the fact that MOST "Asian" cultures seem to mesh real well with our Anglo Saxon 1 here in the US. Period. Another "non white" group who usually do real well in the US are Black people from Nigeria, Kenya and so on.
Well said.

Quote:
I know you've lost the ESL argument with me when you try to "whitesplain" cultures to me, an Asian American.
"Whitesplain"?

An Asian playing the victim in a country in which Asians thrive and even do better economically than whites.

Thanks for the "gratitude."

Quote:
That's funny, as an Asian American - back about 100 years ago, we were thought to be incompatible with so-called Anglo Saxon culture and only good to wash laundry and operate restaurants.
Oh, you poor thing!

The red carpet wasn't rolled out for you, but it was for everyone else.

Quote:
You're just tying yourself in knots and using the tired old model minority myth to hate on Latinos.
An Asian actually being "offended" by the fact that he/she has succeeded here, and who still wants to play the victim.

Nice job of having it both ways.

Quote:
If one learns English but will never use it as their primary language of usage in this country or will only speak it when they have to what's the point?
Well said.

I've had to deal with people who I know understand English but pretend they don't when they don't want us "dumb Americans" to think they understand us.

It's a game played by those who would take advantage of others.

Quote:
Yeah - and the minute they became "white," the Irish turned on the blacks.
Your evidence for that?

The Irish typically became cops....and we know from "White Lives Don't Matter" how that works out when dealing with ghetto blacks.

Quote:
In California, however, there were plenty of real estate covenants that were racially restrictive that included Asians.
Get over yourself.

Those covenants also excluded Jews.

What makes you think you're so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How many of these immigrating Jews, Irish and Italians lived among us for years, attended our schools and collected welfare benefits before blowing up children with homemade bombs?
The answer is "none."

Good point.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
We need to fix our shxt.

Oh you mean like the family from Honey Boo Boo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies