Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
rem we recruited---and still do for cheap labor
Who's "we"? It's only some greedy employers that want cheap labor. The rest of us want our immigration laws respected and enforced and we are paying through the nose because they are not. Illegal immigration, too much legal immigration and taking in too many so-called refugees is transforming our country culturally and linguistically and it's a race to the bottom to third world status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I noticed dechatelet couldn't provide a source...
The source you cite is over a month old.

According to an LA Times article dated seven days ago (as of October 7), the Obama Administration is planning to accept 85,000 refugees this year, and up to 100,000 next year.

Maybe they'll be escaping from the civil war in Canada.

Oh, wait. There isn't a civil war in Canada.

So my guess is that they'll be from the Middle East and North Africa -- with almost all of them being Muslims.

The State Department -- as is its usual practice -- will let the anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, pro-Muslim UN pick the refugees.

But let's not be ungenerous.

Let's heartily welcome these supporters of slavery, misogyny, homophobia and religious intolerance into our country!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM

659 posts, read 312,731 times
Default Is this what you call a good argument???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You could try coming up with good arguments.

Try that for a change.

What if the "refugees" are scum? Or terrorists? Or simple frauds?

No one is supposed to point that out?
I have devoted a fair amount of effort to justify my position and/or comments, sometimes even criticized for my "speech" or too many words. Just can't please all the people all the time, but your first comment about "trying that for a change" is just more evidence that some people wouldn't know a good argument if it won a Pulitzer Prize. Then what follows is rather ironic given the suggestion to try a good argument.

Appreciate the laugh though!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Immigrants are supposed to want to assimilate.

You didn't know that?

Amazing.
Is this also written in the Constitution? Or from what source does this "truth" come that I have yet to come across?

I will be "amazed" to learn even more here than I have already! Can't wait!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You just can't admit that you were wrong about the Nazis demanding that people "assimilate."

Wow.

This isn't rocket science.

Nazi Germany was not an open, immigration-based society in which different cultures were urged to "melt" into a multi-cultural "melting pot."

Why don't you just admit that, and move on?

You can criticize demands for assimilation in America all you want.

Just leave the Nazis out of it.

You're barking up the wrong tree.
I have provided all I can about assimilation and made the point that our perspectives are different.

Who is it that can't seem to move on? And why?

This isn't rocket science, nor is it important as compared to the issue of what you now expect in the way of assimilation here in the United States today. According to you, no doubt I wrong about that too, and you will likely go on a good deal longer insisting I admit I am wrong. I guess that's your thing.

Sorry to disappoint -- you.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM

I will ignore all that some of the more vocal conservatives love to suggest they know about liberals in general, certainly would not want to pop that bubble that only conservatives respect the Constitution, but again I get a good chuckle from the posturing...

This too caught my eye, "Second, that those sovereign and independent nation-states reserve the right to determine their own cultural and ethnic makeup, religion, governing institutions, laws, immigration policies, etc."

Now, I'm no Constitutional scholar like others posting in this thread, but this about preserving one's own culture and ethnic makeup, religion, etc., as "independent nation-states," would this perhaps suggest that there need not be assimilation of these people as one country, one culture, one religion or even one language?

Just asking...

Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 AM

"Let's heartily welcome these supporters of slavery, misogyny, homophobia and religious intolerance into our country"

Again, who -- exactly -- are we referring to here? All Syrians? All Muslims? I would really like to better understand this way of thinking and/or perspective that seems Hell bent on perpetuating the intolerance that has this world all the more at odds today.

My best guess is that perhaps we are referring to people of Muslim faith, but are all Muslims as described above? Let's consider the evidence, shall we. Perhaps try that thing called "making a good argument" we've been asked to try...

Let's look around, maybe starting with the people of Indonesia. You know of Indonesia, right? I hope this isn't too many words for anyone to consider at this point...

Indonesia, officially the Republic of Indonesia, is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia. Indonesia has an estimated population of over 255 million people and is the world's fourth-most-populous country and the most-populous Muslim-majority country. Indonesia's republican form of government includes an elected legislature and president. Indonesia has 34 provinces, of which five have Special Administrative status. Indonesia is a founding member of ASEAN and a member of the G-20 major economies. The Indonesian economy is the world's 16th largest by nominal GDP and the 8thlargest by GDP at PPP.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Or maybe we are referring to Muslims who are from other countries, not to be confused with the millions of American Muslims?

Would that be right?

Islam is the fourth-largest faith in the United States, after Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism. It was followed by 0.9% of the population in 2010, compared to 78.3% who follow Christianity, 16.4% unaffiliated, 1.8% Judaism and 1.2% Buddhism.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A country has the right to retain it's identifying culture and language. To deny that right infringes on the freedom, liberties and rights of their own citizens. There is nothing racist, etc. about it either.
America is not, nor has it ever been, a static culture. It has changed constantly over time. The agrarian culture of the early settlers would find the culture of the industrial revolution to be completely alien. Likewise the post and pre civil war culture would not recognize the post WW II culture. I agree that immigrants who come here should have to conform in many ways to American mainstream culture in order to be successful, and traditionally that usually occurs in the first or second generations born here. And I do agree, they need to abide by the laws established here, or else they should leave. But its also true that immigrant cultures can and do effect that American mainstream culture over time. We see it in the foods we eat, the music we listen to, the entertainment we watch. I for one would not want to live in a cultural bubble that is completely isolated from other cultures, I think each culture has worthy aspects that we can at least appreciate, if not learn from.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
America is not, nor has it ever been, a static culture. It has changed constantly over time. The agrarian culture of the early settlers would find the culture of the industrial revolution to be completely alien. Likewise the post and pre civil war culture would not recognize the post WW II culture. I agree that immigrants who come here should have to conform in many ways to American mainstream culture in order to be successful, and traditionally that usually occurs in the first or second generations born here. And I do agree, they need to abide by the laws established here, or else they should leave. But its also true that immigrant cultures can and do effect that American mainstream culture over time. We see it in the foods we eat, the music we listen to, the entertainment we watch. I for one would not want to live in a cultural bubble that is completely isolated from other cultures, I think each culture has worthy aspects that we can at least appreciate, if not learn from.
Thanks for the 8th grade civics essay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies