Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
...So begins a whole host of more important issues that are no doubt well over the head of many people who post about this subject here.

All I can think to add is to thank our lucky stars that better minds are those who decide what is right and/or wrong when it comes to immigration policy!
Condescend much?

Last edited by dechatelet; 10-07-2015 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
...But we certainly have our fair share of people who are native and seem to have this 'culture' of not valuing education and/or work.
How is that relevant to choosing who is allowed to immigrate to this country and who isn't?

It's not relevant at all.

Quote:
We have a very materialistic culture. You may disagree but Exhibit A are all those people waiting in crushing lines on Black Friday for stuff they don't need unless you consider the iPhone 6 Plus necessary.
It sounds like you just don't like Americans.

Can't say I'm surprised.

So you romanticize other cultures -- but still live here.

I guess it's "fun" to imagine "better things" without ever testing your belief in them.

That way, you can never be disappointed.

And you can continue to blame and complain to your heart's content.

Quote:
Exactly.

[glorious American culture!!]
Yeah, Honey Boo Boo is "American culture" to you.

Check.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do immigrants even move here if they don't want to assimilate into our society? That makes no sense at all. Are we just an opportunity cash cow to them? That's not to say they can't practice their native cultures and languages in private. One has to know English in order to become a naturalized citizen anyway.
Probably the same reason a lot of American expats living in Thailand (and such places) never learn the language of their "second home".

Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Probably the same reason a lot of American expats living in Thailand (and such places) never learn the language of their "second home".
Do you they have signs at the Bangkok Walmart in English ?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 AM

659 posts, read 312,731 times
"Condescend much?"

Where it seems appropriate or needed, yes.

Not sure how many other ways there are to address some of the intolerance expressed here, or what some might refer to as red neck intolerance in general, but I am loath to recognize these notions in any respectful manner, that's for sure.

People who refer to refugees as "scum" deserve no respect, should expect the opposite, but unfortunately they don't care either way. They know no respect and they will not change.

Ergo my "Cement Theory."

Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM

"Why do immigrants even move here if they don't want to assimilate into our society? That makes no sense at all."

Oh Jesus, permission to condescend, please!

Talk about not knowing the first thing about immigrants. You have GOT to be kidding!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:30 AM

"To suggest that the Nazis wanted a "melting pot" of different cultures and ethnicities (as in the supposed American ideal) is wrong."

I don't know how I can put it any plainer. I do not suggest this as presented in your statement. The definition of "assimilation" goes well beyond your strict definition as I explained before. Also, again, the more significant issue is what Americans should expect in the way of assimilation. I would argue we should be less adamant about assimilation per the definition I provided before and more tolerant of those here legally regardless how much the look, sound or act like you or me.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Do you they have signs at the Bangkok Walmart in English ?
Yup. And on highway signs and most stores, too.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM

What centuries of British colonialism and decades of Esperanto couldn’t do, a few years of free trade, MTV, and the Internet has. English dominates international business, politics, and culture more than any other language in human history, and new words are melding into English at a frenetic pace.

“English is probably changing faster than any other language,” says Alan Firth, a linguist at the University of Aalborg in Denmark, “because so many people are using it.”

More than 1 billion people are believed to speak some form of English. For every native speaker there are three nonnative speakers. Three-quarters of the world’s mail is in English and four-fifths of electronic information is stored in English.

Do You Speak American . What Lies Ahead? . Global American . Global | PBS

Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Wanting to Preserve Your Way of Life Does Not Make You Racist or Fascist
That is correct, up to and until your actions to perceive your way of life infringes on the freedom, liberties, and rights of others. Once you try to preserve your way of life at another person's (or peoples) expanse, that's when it becomes racist, fascist, and amoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies