Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've already said Cops on campus. We do it here in SD and it works.
Yeah, I have said the same thing on several threads related to this topic, but it is ignored. They are rabid on gun bans again.. This is more or less a routine. Dismiss what would work and demand something that won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM

218 posts, read 214,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Never the less, these people are not the demographic that the FBI reports to be responsible for the bulk of the gun violence stats.
And, is there a point?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
"Barry and the Left"... sounds like a great band name.
It does, and not to mention he is so uber cool.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:39 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've already said Cops on campus. We do it here in SD and it works.
How do you know it works? It's a real stretch to claim it works because there has never been a shooting at one of your schools because I'm pretty sure that you could find a number of states without armed campus cops that have never had a school shooting

Old 10-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The left wants more knee jerk hormonal, hysterical feel good legislation which will in reality do nothing.

What could help is enforcing laws already passed.
No one says that laws are not being enforced where we have them. The complaint is there are two few of them and state by state is difficult without registers and harsher cross state law breaking. There is nothing in the murder of our citizens especially little children (you do remember sandy hook?) that is hysterical, hormonal or feel good. It's insanity that is partially at least, fixable when people stop standing in front of the cowardly acts of the NRA.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How do you know it works? It's a real stretch to claim it works because there has never been a shooting at one of your schools because I'm pretty sure that you could find a number of states without armed campus cops that have never had a school shooting
The logic pencils out much better than:

background checks
gun bans
stupid feel good things like mag locks, cheesy tests and bans on unloaded open carry
other so called "common sense" quackery based on a crystal ball

Cause Cops ARE a deterrent. Shooters want to kill unarmed people. If they wanted to do a suicide by Cop they'd just ambush a Cop.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yeah, I have said the same thing on several threads related to this topic, but it is ignored. They are rabid on gun bans again.. This is more or less a routine. Dismiss what would work and demand something that won't.
At least now we know all their foaming at the mouth will add up to zilch as far as gun bans, etc.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM

572 posts, read 551,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
That would be correct, do you normally speak to strangers when you go to events? Especially if you are uncomfortable? Could just be me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I do, but I don't have a condescending attitude towards people who are different from me.
same here, in fact i go out of my way to reach out to folks that are "different"

Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
No one says that laws are not being enforced where we have them. The complaint is there are two few of them and state by state is difficult without registers and harsher cross state law breaking. There is nothing in the murder of our citizens especially little children (you do remember sandy hook?) that is hysterical, hormonal or feel good. It's insanity that is partially at least, fixable when people stop standing in front of the cowardly acts of the NRA.
The sad thing here is, I honestly believe you are well intentioned, but terribly misinformed. There are many gun laws on the federal books that are not being enforced which would reduce violence, but the fact is, the federal government doesn't enforce them. What good does it do to write new laws, when the ones currently on the books aren't even enforced? There are solutions, but they are being ignored because of cost. What price do you put on the lives of our children? What cost do you put on the life of anyone you care about? Ignoring the debate and demanding your way or no way is always a recipe for failure. If you want to fail, continue on your present coarse....

Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Common sense is a made up term. It used to be common sense to think witches existed but that was never true. Common sense is nonsense, usually just someone trying to get others to agree with them. But **** that.

Yeah, Obama's recent statements about gun control are knee jerk reactions. Much of our political system is just that anymore. What do you think Kate's law was? It was an emotionally driven attempt to feel we did something, while doing absolutely nothing to address the real problem because we don't have the stones to tackle it head on.

I'm neither pro gun nor anti-gun. I get why the founding fathers believed what they did about guns, but the world is a radically different place now, and I'm not just talking about guns that can fire 600 rounds a minute. I'm not saying the second amendment is outdated, but you'd be an idiot to suggest it's not dated. No, I don't think banning guns is going to resolve our problems, but I also don't live in some magical world where everyone having the power to hide a machine gun in the pants is going to keep everyone safe.

I'll say this, if common sense did exist, the usual action taken by either side wouldn't be it. Because they never want to do what needs to be done.
Kates Law will actually make a difference. Had it been in effect, Kate would still be alive and well.

There isn't a single law on the books or proposed that would have prevented the Oregon shootings.

Here's some actual "common sense"...STOP making "gun free zones".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies