Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:00 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Y

As a Middle Eastern Jew, I trust Muslims more than I trust Christians. I feel safer in most of the Middle East than I feel when I'm in Europe.
First of all, I am not trying to argue with you. But I am really curious. I can understand that you trust Muslims, to each his own. But to say that you trust Muslims MORE than you trust Christians, I found the statement to be baseless. what did Christians do to make them not trustworthy. By the way, Hitler was not a Christian. :O

You said your two sons are U.S. Marines and you were a Marine in the 80s, My brother served in the early 90s, he liked Turkey, but not Yemen. Most of my combat Marine friends have trust issues towards Muslims, which is understandable because they have been in the war zone. NONE of them said Muslims are bad people, but they don't trust them. Justified? I don't know but it certainly is understandable because of war.

Most liberal Jews view the Christian right as wanting to impose a Christian America on them. Maybe this is just their perception. I sometimes feel evangelicals’ love for Jews is a case of unrequited love. lol

wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
First of all, I am not trying to argue with you. But I am really curious. I can understand that you trust Muslims, to each his own. But to say that you trust Muslims MORE than you trust Christians, I found the statement to be baseless. what did Christians do to make them not trustworthy. By the way, Hitler was not a Christian. :O

You said your two sons are U.S. Marines and you were a Marine in the 80s, My brother served in the early 90s, he liked Turkey, but not Yemen. Most of my combat Marine friends have trust issues towards Muslims, which is understandable because they have been in the war zone. NONE of them said Muslims are bad people, but they don't trust them. Justified? I don't know but it certainly is understandable because of war.

Most liberal Jews view the Christian right as wanting to impose a Christian America on them. Maybe this is just their perception. I sometimes feel evangelicals’ love for Jews is a case of unrequited love. lol

wow.
Sorry but this tangent has taken the thread too far off topic. If you want to discuss this further, copy and paste it into a DM and we'll discuss it privately. This thread needs to return to its original topic and not this not connected tangent of my views.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry but this tangent has taken the thread too far off topic. If you want to discuss this further, copy and paste it into a DM and we'll discuss it privately. This thread needs to return to its original topic and not this not connected tangent of my views.
Never mind then. I don't pm anybody. I don't take this forum seriously.

It is all good. Thank you anyway.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:42 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:

wow.
I agree and there are a number of Jews that have expressed similar views which baffles me so I'm curious about it. I think many blame Christianity for the Holocaust which in my view is an incorrect direction of blame. There were probably Christians that were Nazis but certainly the Nazis programs diverged greatly from Christian beliefs. There were many Arabs that were supportive of the Nazis and what they did to the Jews (not surprisingly) and Jews are being run out of many Arab Muslim countries today so the viewpoint is just odd especially when you see to what levels Jews have attained in the USA where they have been welcomed and their beloved Israel protected from the Muslims. So again, just baffling to me how they have this view so it's confusing.

I had a couple of Jewish friends growing up and still they are Facebook friends but often posts views opposite of what I see here.

There's no doubt the USA support of Israel costs us greatly in our relations with all of the Muslim ME nations but we still do it because we think it's right....not that we gain anything from it.

Forgot to address the unrequited love comment from lilyflower. Yeah American Christians, especially Evangelicals, are incredibly supportive of Israel and Jews and in response the Jews hold them in utter disdain....just an observation that baffles me.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 11-01-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree and there are a number of Jews that have expressed similar views which baffles me so I'm curious about it. I think many blame Christianity for the Holocaust which in my view is an incorrect direction of blame. There were probably Christians that were Nazis but certainly the Nazis programs diverged greatly from Christian beliefs. There were many Arabs that were supportive of the Nazis and what they did to the Jews (not surprisingly) and Jews are being run out of many Arab Muslim countries today so the viewpoint is just odd especially when you see to what levels Jews have attained in the USA where they have been welcomed and their beloved Israel protected from the Muslims. So again, just baffling to me how they have this view so it's confusing.

I had a couple of Jewish friends growing up and still they are Facebook friends but often posts views opposite of what I see here.

There's no doubt the USA support of Israel costs us greatly in our relations with all of the Muslim ME nations but we still do it because we think it's right....not that we gain anything from it.
wish I can rep this post. Thanks

Old 11-03-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:

wow.
I'll answer two points which I bolded. The group of Christians I don't trust are primarily the ones in Europe and not the US. The only places I've had issues with Christians in the US were when I was at military boot camp and the Northern part of the San Francisco metro area. As to your combat Marine friends the Muslims in the Middle East that they dealt with were the uneducated Imam taught Muslims who are taught to hate whomever is not them and yes those Muslims are not trustable.

If I look at all the friends (or business dealings with) I've had over the past 50 years all over the world the most trustable segment has been a X generation of a Muslim or Jew from the Middle East. With the Christians I have as friends here in the South, the one topic we don't discuss is religion. That being said, I do teach a class nearly every year at a nearby Baptist Church that covers conversational Hebrew for those going to visit Israel and Middle Eastern etiquette who will be traveling to parts of the Middle East.

Hope that answers your query.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Forgot to address the unrequited love comment from lilyflower. Yeah American Christians, especially Evangelicals, are incredibly supportive of Israel and Jews and in response the Jews hold them in utter disdain....just an observation that baffles me.

Now as to your comments. I'm not a Ashkenazi Jew and I am pretty well educated to not blame Christianity for the Holocaust. With Nazism it was follow or die. Historically the Christians I would have an issue with are the Christians who gained the property of the Jews when the Jews were taken away. As to your Arab comment, they weren't Arabs. They were Africans who spread Jewish hate. If you look at the Israeli wars they all (except one - Lebanon - PLO) had their foundations for starting in Egypt. Jews of the Middle East were evicted a few years after the creation of Israel due to Arabism. They didn't have to follow that process and could have simply executed them, instead they evicted them and created the largest influx of Jews into Israel as it exceeded the Million mark which was 10 times the amount that came from Europe (around 100,000). The next wave of Jews came to Israel were from Eastern Europe in the mid 50's. As to the Jews who you state were welcomed with open arms, it was an election year and the immigration level was raised to gain the Jewish vote in the US. For this you need to research what you are typing instead of typing what you think happened.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I'll answer two points which I bolded. The group of Christians I don't trust are primarily the ones in Europe and not the US. The only places I've had issues with Christians in the US were when I was at military boot camp and the Northern part of the San Francisco metro area. As to your combat Marine friends the Muslims in the Middle East that they dealt with were the uneducated Imam taught Muslims who are taught to hate whomever is not them and yes those Muslims are not trustable.

If I look at all the friends (or business dealings with) I've had over the past 50 years all over the world the most trustable segment has been a X generation of a Muslim or Jew from the Middle East. With the Christians I have as friends here in the South, the one topic we don't discuss is religion. That being said, I do teach a class nearly every year at a nearby Baptist Church that covers conversational Hebrew for those going to visit Israel and Middle Eastern etiquette who will be traveling to parts of the Middle East.

Hope that answers your query.
Yes, thank you for answering.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Since this thread is about "influenced by oil interest."

i would also like to add that

The good news for Americans is that the principal foreign suppliers of U.S. oil today are more reliable and better allies than the Persian Gulf nations. Even more important, American reserves have increased significantly, oil prices plunged from more than $100/barrel in June 2014 to less than $45/barrel the following winter, and the cost of U.S. oil production has fallen. Today, the United States is close to replacing Saudi Arabia as the swing producer in determining the price of oil.

So, I don't think it is all black and white. Oil has a lot to do with it, but it certainly not the center of the story.

It is also about GAS

Syria’s central role in the Arab gas pipeline is also a key to why it is now being targeted. The wars are also be about forcing the world into dollars and private central banking. Although I don't support U.S. Involvement with middle east, things are not black and white.

“Great Game” being played right now by the world powers largely boils down to the United States and Russia fighting for control over Eurasian oil and gas resources, The rising power China is also getting into this Great Game. Russia, China Join Hands Against America’s Global “Missile Defense” Plan.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Now as to your comments. I'm not a Ashkenazi Jew and I am pretty well educated to not blame Christianity for the Holocaust. With Nazism it was follow or die. Historically the Christians I would have an issue with are the Christians who gained the property of the Jews when the Jews were taken away. As to your Arab comment, they weren't Arabs. They were Africans who spread Jewish hate. If you look at the Israeli wars they all (except one - Lebanon - PLO) had their foundations for starting in Egypt. Jews of the Middle East were evicted a few years after the creation of Israel due to Arabism. They didn't have to follow that process and could have simply executed them, instead they evicted them and created the largest influx of Jews into Israel as it exceeded the Million mark which was 10 times the amount that came from Europe (around 100,000). The next wave of Jews came to Israel were from Eastern Europe in the mid 50's. As to the Jews who you state were welcomed with open arms, it was an election year and the immigration level was raised to gain the Jewish vote in the US. For this you need to research what you are typing instead of typing what you think happened.
Thanks for your responses. What I'm referring to is what Lilly mentioned about how Christians, especially evangelicals, are very supportive of Israel and Jews today and are almost universally supportive of Israel but the response I see overwhelmingly from Jews is utter disdain of Christians and particularly Evangelical Christians...this baffles me in both cases as to why Evangelicals are so pro Israel and why Jews or so anti Evangelical in response.

I worked several years in the Middle East, last time in Saudi, and I know Jews (including Americans) were not allowed to work on those projects nor were Iranians. I know UAE is more welcoming but I'm actually still surprised they allow you to work in some of the areas you're allowed to work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies