Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While I personally don't care one way or the other, it needs to be pointed out that all of those roles are fictional characters. MLK was a real person, so I can somewhat see the issue people have.
Like when blacks have played Julius Caesar? At times with an all black cast no less.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:26 PM

371 posts, read 258,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Are you serious? None of those people are REAL!! You would have a point if there was a black guy cast as JFK...
I am serious. Plus MLK was the one that said we should judge someone on their character not their race,obviously blacks today don't believe that,at least not the person whining about it in the article.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,410,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Are you serious? None of those people are REAL!! You would have a point if there was a black guy cast as JFK...

Thor not real, you have insulted my religious beliefs I am calling the FBI.

A Black cast as JFK.............Bubba Ho-Tep..........duh

Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
So its OK to have black actors in traditionally white roles but not OK to use a white actor in a black role?
If the issue is "traditional" white roles, then the only roles that actors of color would be allowed to play would be maids, butlers, and cooks.

The issue here as the article points out is between an African American playwright's non-fictional depiction of a historical figure and an African American playwrights intent to cast dual roles one, white and one black to explore how the actors race affects the words spoken. It is a controversy between the vision of two artist, the playwright and the plays director.

Let's not attempt to explode this into an issue that it isn't.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
So when a Black is cast in a traditionally White role we're supposed to be color blind.
But when the opposite happens we're supposed to be outraged ???

Oh the hypocrisy of it all.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,738 times
Quote:
I am serious. Plus MLK was the one that said we should judge someone on their character not their race,obviously blacks today don't believe that,at least not the person whining about it in the article.
LOL! By the way, how do you know stormtroopers are traditionally white? They are always in uniform! Thor, stormtroopers...How old are you? 8?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So when a Black is cast in a traditionally White role we're supposed to be color blind.
But when the opposite happens we're supposed to be outraged ???

Oh the hypocrisy of it all.
when Samual L Jackson was cast as Nick Fury, Fury had been black in the comics for some 10 years

Storm trooper is an occupation, and they can be of any colors.

neither Annie or Cinderalla are white in their books/films because of it mattered to the story.

MLK however, was a black civil rights leader, and the color of his skin did matter. Do I personally care if a white person plays MLK, no, but it is foolish to try and compare this to what others are trying to do with fictional characters who's color had nothing to do with their stories.

At worst, this is fake outrage that can easily be uncovered and forced into the light, at best, this is a horrific misunderstanding that shows just how high racial tensions are in this country and that is sad.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Black Actors in Traditionally White Roles - The Root

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
Oh dear. You do know that the characters you listed are just that, fictional characters, right? Not actual people who lived & breathed in real life, right? Tell me you are just being funny.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Dumb. Why would you cast a white actor for MLK?

I think whenever possible, if the race or ethnicity of the character is integral to the character or historically correct, efforts should be made to find an appropriate character. Like, no Queen Latifah playing the Queen of England.

Unless it's one of those theaters that do radically color-blind casting. Then it's ok.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM

553 posts, read 617,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh dear. You do know that the characters you listed are just that, fictional characters, right? Not actual people who lived & breathed in real life, right? Tell me you are just being funny.
A better example would be the cast of the musical Hamilton that's currently on Broadway.

(Personally, I don't care either way.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies