Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Casting of white actor as Martin Luther King prompts outrage from playwright | US news | The Guardian

So its OK to have black actors in traditionally white roles but not OK to use a white actor in a black role? Yeah......get over it. Plus MLK said to judge people by content of their character not color of their skin. Remember that? Jeez talk about doing the man a disservice by going against the very thing he was for.
It's just dumb. Martin Luther King WAS BLACK!!!!

Just like I think it's just as dumb to consider a black actor to play a white, Scottish James Bond. Bond IS WHITE!!

In any event, I think someone like Harriet Tubman, who risked her life to fight REAL racism, would be either amused or outraged over the silly little posers and what they argue over in the racial arena these days

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Black Actors in Traditionally White Roles - The Root

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
You realize those are all fictional characters, right? Not real people.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Maybe the position was affected by affirmative action. Too many blacks and not enough whites were getting black roles. Gotta spread the love.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's just dumb. Martin Luther King WAS BLACK!!!!

Just like I think it's just as dumb to consider a black actor to play a white, Scottish James Bond. Bond IS WHITE!!

In any event, I think someone like Harriet Tubman, who risked her life to fight REAL racism, would be either amused or outraged over the silly little posers and what they argue over in the racial arena these days
Also to you, you realize James Bond is a fictional character, right?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The director who cast that role to a White guy is Black himself.
What does that have to do with my post ?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
You are bringing up fictional characters...

Old 11-11-2015, 04:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:

There are more here

Um--aren't your examples all fictional characters? You know MLK was a real person right?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Black 'Thor' Actor Blasts Debate Over His Casting - Hollywood Reporter

Yes he was. Doesn't matter WHEN or WHAT the movie is about or the character. They were ALL played by whites and are now being redone to make the diversity crowd happy....what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
The name of the movie is Thor. the actor being talked about in your article does not play the title character, he is simply one of 15 in the main cast.

Thor has appeared in 5 Marvel films , in 4 years grossing 3.6 billion dollars. Are you telling me, you have never seen a single one, or at least a commercial ???

even so, it proves you didnt read your own source material or have any idea what you are talking about.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,611 times
I read the article and only see one person who has a problem with this.

Worst...firestorm....ever.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:58 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A white MLK is weird and wrong.
I agree that it's weird, but why wrong?

I think this is simply exercising the freedom of expression. The color of ones skin shouldn't matter at all, right? The irony is when a black actor is cast in a traditionally white role it's called colorblind and inspirational... yet reverse it and it becomes racist and horrible.

To these very same people, white professors and activists claiming to be black (IN REAL LIFE) seems to be just fine... as long as they represent their beliefs in lockstep of course.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-15-2015 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies