Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:01 PM

401 posts, read 287,674 times

Advertisements

Jesus would be judged a black man were he to appear at the local mall today. Europeans of King James time would of course not entertain that thought, they thought that all important people in the world were white.
Is Christianity the oldest and most pervasive white power organization?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:04 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
I don't know whether I'm offended by it or not because I haven't seen it. If I've learned one thing from plays and books and the more artistic movies, it's never to judge them before I've seen them.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:04 PM

371 posts, read 258,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thor is not black, at best you mean the gatekeeper.

Storm trooper is an occupation, not a race, and when did their color become a problem ?

Annie isnt a white supremisist nor is the story about her being white and growing up in New york, so her color makes no difference to the story.

Nick Fury has been black since 2002, and him being black or white had nothing to do with his story. sam goes for Johnny Storm.

The Only black Cinderella I know of is Brandy, and that movie came out 20 years ago and again, the color of the actress has nothing to do with the story.
Black 'Thor' Actor Blasts Debate Over His Casting - Hollywood Reporter

Yes he was. Doesn't matter WHEN or WHAT the movie is about or the character. They were ALL played by whites and are now being redone to make the diversity crowd happy....what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post

Yes he was. Doesn't matter WHEN or WHAT the movie is about or the character. They were ALL played by whites and are now being redone to make the diversity crowd happy....what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Maybe they did it to please black people. Maybe black people aren't interested in films that have all white casts or leads. I bet you never watch films featuring an all black cast or leads, do you? I bet you're not interested, right? So, a studio remakes a film or casts a black person in a FICTIONAL story to who knows, gain the money of a black audience. Has nothing to do with keeping a diversity crowd happy.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
when Samual L Jackson was cast as Nick Fury, Fury had been black in the comics for some 10 years

Storm trooper is an occupation, and they can be of any colors.

neither Annie or Cinderalla are white in their books/films because of it mattered to the story.

MLK however, was a black civil rights leader, and the color of his skin did matter. Do I personally care if a white person plays MLK, no, but it is foolish to try and compare this to what others are trying to do with fictional characters who's color had nothing to do with their stories.

At worst, this is fake outrage that can easily be uncovered and forced into the light, at best, this is a horrific misunderstanding that shows just how high racial tensions are in this country and that is sad.
The director who cast that role to a White guy is Black himself.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM

371 posts, read 258,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe they did it to please black people. Maybe black people aren't interested in films that have all white casts or leads. I bet you never watch films featuring an all black cast or leads, do you? I bet you're not interested, right? So, a studio remakes a film or casts a black person in a FICTIONAL story to who knows, gain the money of a black audience. Has nothing to do with keeping a diversity crowd happy.
Watched Shaft I enjoyed it. Thought it was interesting. I thought the Friday series with Ice Cube were funny,Don't be a menace,Training Day,etc etc....if its a movie I am INTERESTED in I give it more thought to watch it or not,if its not historically correct then I don't even dare. Haven't seen Thor and I won't either. Its a bastardization of what is correct.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post

What movie was remade? I looked up Idris Elba's character in Thor, but didn't see any other movies where a white actor played the same character.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
This is about as outrageous as white Emma Stone playing a half Asian character in one of the movies released recently. I would chalk this up as indicative of White America's prejudice of not seeing a movie that stars "one of them" in it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-15-2015 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-11-2015, 04:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
It's a play. Whatever.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:27 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
meh. It's a commonly used tactic to cast somebody in a role that's controversial in order to gain attention for an otherwise forgettable production. In 20 years MLK will be a lesbian, James Bond will be Asian, Abe Lincoln will be a little person, Mr. Spock will be 300 pounds, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies