Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM

371 posts, read 258,136 times

Advertisements

Casting of white actor as Martin Luther King prompts outrage from playwright | US news | The Guardian

So its OK to have black actors in traditionally white roles but not OK to use a white actor in a black role? Yeah......get over it. Plus MLK said to judge people by content of their character not color of their skin. Remember that? Jeez talk about doing the man a disservice by going against the very thing he was for.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:44 PM

“I didn’t want this to be a stunt, but a true exploration of King’s wish that we all be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin,” Oatman said. “I wanted the contrast … I wanted to see how the words rang differently or indeed the same, coming from two different actors, with two different racial backgrounds.”

Oh they rang differently,that's quite obvious isn't it?

Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
A white MLK is weird and wrong.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A white MLK is weird and wrong.
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Black Actors in Traditionally White Roles - The Root

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 PM

756 posts, read 425,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
You are absolutely right! Anyone complaining about this that had no problem with the list above, is a hypocrite!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

There are more here

Shut your mouth

Old 11-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Casting of white actor as Martin Luther King prompts outrage from playwright | US news | The Guardian

So its OK to have black actors in traditionally white roles but not OK to use a white actor in a black role? Yeah......get over it. Plus MLK said to judge people by content of their character not color of their skin. Remember that? Jeez talk about doing the man a disservice by going against the very thing he was for.
What black actor is playing a traditionally white role , and if so, does the race of the individual actually impact the story ?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,341,276 times
Quote:

There are more here

Are you serious? None of those people are REAL!! You would have a point if there was a black guy cast as JFK...

Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:

There are more here

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
You are absolutely right! Anyone complaining about this that had no problem with the list above, is a hypocrite!
While I personally don't care one way or the other, it needs to be pointed out that all of those roles are fictional characters. MLK was a real person, so I can somewhat see the issue people have.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:

There are more here

Thor is not black, at best you mean the gatekeeper.

Storm trooper is an occupation, not a race, and when did their color become a problem ?

Annie isnt a white supremisist nor is the story about her being white and growing up in New york, so her color makes no difference to the story.

Nick Fury has been black since 2002, and him being black or white had nothing to do with his story. sam goes for Johnny Storm.

The Only black Cinderella I know of is Brandy, and that movie came out 20 years ago and again, the color of the actress has nothing to do with the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies