Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times

Advertisements

I think it would be pretty racially discriminatory to tell a black actor that he can't play JFK or George Washington in a movie because they're white and he's black. So I would have to assume that the inverse is true, especially since we're dealing with a respected historical figure in MLK.

When they make a movie about my life, I hope they choose a 300 pound disabled black lesbian to play the Sharks With Lasers character. It might seem a little odd when all of the straight girls and gay guys start drooling over my six pack abs, but hey - a little juxtaposition never hurts!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
No biggie. Artistic license. Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan in the movie I'm Not There.
Actress Linda Hunt won an Oscar for her portrayal of Billy Kwan in The Year of Living Dangerously.

Don't even get me started on casting for Native American roles.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
You are absolutely right! Anyone complaining about this that had no problem with the list above, is a hypocrite!

A traditioally white role is one thing; a white actor portraying a black historical figure is something else.

As the poster above noted, it's weird.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I agree that it's weird, but why wrong?

I think this is simply exercising the freedom of expression. The color of ones skin shouldn't matter at all, right? The irony is when a black actor is cast in a traditionally white role it's called colorblind and inspirational... yet reverse it and it becomes racist and horrible.

To these very same people, white professors and activists claiming to be black (IN REAL LIFE) seems to be just fine... as long as they represent their beliefs in lockstep of course.
It's actually pretty weird but it's not something that should be news worthy or even warrant too much controversy. In regards to a black person being cast in a traditionally white role, it depends on the role itself if the casting will be considered controversial. A black man playing a Nick Fury (a fictional character), not controversial. but a black man playing George Washington (a historical figure) would be controversial to many people...

Old 11-11-2015, 07:28 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
whites have played other races since the beginning of film... weird how a few Black leads have people's panties in a bunch.

how about a white British Ghandi

a white Mandela?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Black Actors in Traditionally White Roles - The Root

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
You do realize that Thor, Star Wars Stormtroopers, Annie, Nick Fury, Cinderella, Johnny Storm and Red are all fictional characters, right?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:11 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
I agree that it is odd to cast a white man for Martin Luther King, Jr. However, I guess it is 'art'.

I am sure that people would not mind if, for the role of Jesus, a black woman (Oprah!) was cast. After all, skin pigmentation and gender was not important to the message of Jesus, was it?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
From the article, referring to a new part of the contract to perform this play in the future: “Both characters are intended to be played by actors who are African-American or Black. Any other casting choice requires the prior approval of the author.”

I can only imagine the outrage if a white playwright had that put in a contract for a play, that "characters are intended to be played by actors who are Caucasian or White." We would have missed plays like "The Wiz". No one seems "outraged" when entire plays/move are recast with black actors -- i.e., "Steel Magnolias" with Queen Latifa as M'lynn." Or "Annie" with Willow Smith? "The Karate Kid" with Jaden Smith? "Cinderella" wth Brandy and Whitney Houston? "The Nutty Professor" with Edde Murphy? Then there's "Romeo and Juliet" with Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad . . .

We have been told over and over and over again that the color of the skin doesn't matter, and popular entertainment reflects that. OK. Done. Color doesn't matter.

But apparently, it only matters if the person is "supposed" to be "black". So what the people objecting to this casting are saying is that it's only equal as long as blacks can "appropriate" traditionally "white" roles? Reviewers are even smacked down if they dare even NOTICE that one of the actors in a traditionally white role might be black, because that's racist . . .

Can't have your cake and eat it, too. I think the director/producer using a white actor was an interesting juxtaposition of King's words against the tempo of the times.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
This is art...art at a university no less. Art, especially art in an academic environment, needs room to do whatever it wants to do.

Anyone who is offended by this who hasn't seen the play, or who thinks this isn't offensive, who hasn't seen the play, is behaving foolishly. People worked very hard on this, with the goal of making something of beauty. If you've watched the play, then feel free to explain why it's the most disgusting piece of filth since Mein Kampf or how it's quite entertaining and a good thing to see. It's stupid to view a play, or a book or an opera, as offensive based on just this one silly little aspect.

Now...stuff like "The Prince of Persia" who was played by a Caucasian...that was just sheer laziness. Insult that all you want. That movie was made more to make cash than to make a thing of beauty though. Plays are generally different I think.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 PM

64 posts, read 32,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Why? We have had a Black Thor,Black stormtrooper in Star Wars,Black Annie,Black actor was Nick Fury the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,Black cinderella,Black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four,Red in the shawshank redemption MOVIE was black in the book he is white,

There are more here

Black Actors in Traditionally White Roles - The Root

Ya get the drift...blacks have taken over white roles,so its equal when whites take over black roles. A white Shaft would be cool!
Are you comparing the portrayal of fictional characters to historical, 20 century icon? You gotta do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies