Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, we'll be fine when we turn it all over to millennials who are scared of chalk and need a safe-space.

/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:21 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
we created it- what ever the next generation is- good- bad or ugly the previous generation (and before) created it- stop blaming the kid next door- you had part-

Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
These "blame the boomer" threads are silly. People believe what their culture tells them to believe... they can't possibly, in theory, believe any differently than the information the media/government spoon feeds them... so what's the point in assigning blame?

People are supposed to theoretically act differently than they did? The human brain is a complex system that gets programmed in a remarkably similar way. Barring genetics that create a "gifted" person who has the ability to see through the BS, we are very susceptible to our cultural programming.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
The 1880's are calling!

The 1880's we were on our way to mending relations with all people.

Probably one of the freest times in the nation. Where you made it based upon your character and merits.

Then the federal government had a better idea. They needed the control.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
May your wish be granted. For you and yours.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,935 times
I am gen X. My sister is a millenial. We are both jealous of of our Baby Boomer parents. Their pension and social security money is MORE than what most of my peers MAKE on full time GOOD jobs. Some got hurt on the job and have been collecting since 55 years old. I know they worked hard for it and are entitled to it and I sure wish I had that deal. Lol. 30 plus years of that kind of money coming in along with homes worth half a million bucks. Also adult children paying rent ... What are they doing with all that money? Lol... Kudos to them. They got the win.....

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The 1880's are calling!

The 1880's we were on our way to mending relations with all people.

Probably one of the freest times in the nation. Where you made it based upon your character and merits.

Then the federal government had a better idea. They needed the control.
An occupied South ("reconstruction")

Black people being lynched and not being allowed to vote.

Native Americans being slaughtered wholesale (which doesn't appear to bother you... wonder why that is)

Financial panics, epidemics of cholera, yellow fever, smallpox, etc. Oh yeah it was a glorious time

Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I am gen X. My sister is a millenial. We are both jealous of of our Baby Boomer parents. Their pension and social security money is MORE than what most of my peers MAKE on full time GOOD jobs. Some got hurt on the job and have been collecting since 55 years old. I know they worked hard for it and are entitled to it and I sure wish I had that deal. Lol. 30 plus years of that kind of money coming in along with homes worth half a million bucks. Also adult children paying rent ... What are they doing with all that money? Lol... Kudos to them. They got the win.....

I don't know if you intended it or not but your post comes off badly. The part I bolded is what is important here. It just kind of strikes me the wrong way that someone begrudges someone else because they worked hard to get what they want/have.

Isn't that like the literal definition of entitlement? People who want what others have but they don't want to put in the work to get it?

That half a million dollar house doesn't pay for itself. Someone paid the mortgage. And I'll bet the house wasn't worth that when it was purchased. Hell, in many places today, a half-mil house isn't all that much.

You mention adult children paying rent like it's a bad thing? Obviously they don't understand the money involved in being independent or they wouldn't be paying rent to mommy and daddy.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And I can reply with my opinion on a public forum. Get over it.
Your opinion is nothing but a whine, period.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:36 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
You will. Once you're gotten to YOUR retirement. Ask yourself not what they have now, but what they had at your age. I'm pretty sure it was pretty close.

You've actually illustrated quite nicely many people's problem with Gen X and Millenials - they want what their parents have NOW. Not after a lifetime of sacrifice and hard work. Not after a lifetime of risk. NOW.

A good friend has a college educated son. He went on interview after interview, but never accepted a job. He would constantly bemoan the fact that he wasn't given "what he'd been taught he could have all his life." Namely, if he got a good education, he could get a job like his dad's, a high exec in a major corporation. He never grasped that his father worked his way up slowly, moving constantly for promotions, working late hours, travelling all over the world. He only saw the fruits of that sacrifice - a nice home, car and money for some fun. The son works at a Kinkos now, still whining that he has a crappy job, and that his parents lied to him. He feels he's so brilliant (because his ego was stroked during his childhood, to raise his self esteem) that anything less than a top level position is beneath him, so he'll just do what he "loves". Which is working the minimum job, hanging out with friends, going out to bars.

You can bet he's jealous of his parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies