Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
No, it wasn't a bad speech, but I am going to reach for the PC card here and say bringing up slavery every time you give a speech is becoming offensive to white folks, it has been crammed down our throats for the last 60 yrs and to be honest it has gotten really old and reminiscent of blaming whitey for every misfortune in the black community.
I don't think she was blaming whitey. I think you assigned that blame, and it may be to some guilt you harbor internally. She gave a speech, and stated facts. You took offense based on something going on with you. It falls under your problem; not hers.

Regardless, with Trump's new lineage test you are most likely not an American. If your ancestors came here from somewhere else, you cannot be American. Just like that Mexican judge, born in Indiana, you have no say in this argument. It is just for Americans.

Do you see the relevance? Conservatives will whine like a two year about how racism isn't relevant. That all of this happened in the past, and it should be forgotten. Then, Trump happens. The republican candidate for president is being endorsed by David Duke. He makes anti-Muslim and Mexican statements to the cheers of the multitudes of ignorant supporters. He challenges the capability of a Hispanic judge, born in Indiana, because of his true allegiance to Mexico. All the while, Trump supporters clap louder.

No, the first lady wasn't saying blame whitey. I am white, and I didn't make that conclusion; however, we most likely view the world differently. She was giving us a reminder that the largess you enjoy was forcibly born on the backs of others. Others that many want to marginalize today. You can't decry it is all in the past and wave your Trump flag at the rally while he talks about the Mexican judge born in Indiana. The emperor has no clothes, and the topic is immensely relevant to current events.

This, my friend, is why you hate the topic of slavery. It hits too close to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't a bad speech, but I am going to reach for the PC card here and say bringing up slavery every time you give a speech is becoming offensive to white folks, it has been crammed down our throats for the last 60 yrs and to be honest it has gotten really old and reminiscent of blaming whitey for every misfortune in the black community.
That's exactly what it is Ghosty, I grew up in the 70's and 80's, it was supposed to be the post civil rights era but you wouldn't know it listening to the First Lady and the rest of the race baiting left. They need to keep the past alive so that they can keep soaking "whitey" for his guilt.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 06-06-2016 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 06:49 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
I don't think she was blaming whitey. I think you assigned that blame, and it may be to some guilt you harbor internally. She gave a speech, and stated facts. You took offense based on something going on with you. It falls under your problem; not hers.

Regardless, with Trump's new lineage test you are most likely not an American. If your ancestors came here from somewhere else, you cannot be American. Just like that Mexican judge, born in Indiana, you have no say in this argument. It is just for Americans.

Do you see the relevance? Conservatives will whine like a two year about how racism isn't relevant. That all of this happened in the past, and it should be forgotten. Then, Trump happens. The republican candidate for president is being endorsed by David Duke. He makes anti-Muslim and Mexican statements to the cheers of the multitudes of ignorant supporters. He challenges the capability of a Hispanic judge, born in Indiana, because of his true allegiance to Mexico. All the while, Trump supporters clap louder.

No, the first lady wasn't saying blame whitey. I am white, and I didn't make that conclusion; however, we most likely view the world differently. She was giving us a reminder that the largess you enjoy was forcibly born on the backs of others. Others that many want to marginalize today. You can't decry it is all in the past and wave your Trump flag at the rally while he talks about the Mexican judge born in Indiana. The emperor has no clothes, and the topic is immensely relevant to current events.

This, my friend, is why you hate the topic of slavery. It hits too close to home.
No, it does not hit close to home. My fathers family has been here since before the revolution and I have descendants that fought in the revolution and my ggg grandfather and grandmother were scalped by a Seneca Indian raiding party in Pa. My gg grandfather fought at Gettysburg for the north and was wounded and discharged. None of us has ever lived south of the mason Dixon line nor owned one slave, so no, I have absolutely no guilt feelings what so ever. And you thought all white folks had it easy during this time period. Hell, we were lucky to survive. You should walk in another mans shoes before judging or making frivolous statements.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post

"This, my friend, is why you hate the topic of slavery. It hits too close to home"

WOW! Project much?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Loved it. She's right...while the Founding Fathers may have never imagined or intended for a First Family like theirs or country like ours today, we are the fruits of their vision and their legacy is ours.

Brains, beauty, class...love her.
You just love it because she's black and you can rub whitey's nose in it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Were they also slaves. Were they forced to build. What's with the lol after your comment...poor slaves
You do know it takes many years to become a skilled craftsman. The people below the skilled craftsman, are they consider slaves today?

The word is WRIGHT, as much as SMITH, which are common English names, but they meant highly skilled craftsmen. There were not power tools, and nails were made one at a time. Tools were something an apprentice required years to acquire the skills to be a master.

If one looks at the actual work history, one finds that the rough work in the quarries was carried out by slaves, as that is all they were good for. Using common sense in this, if you had slaves who could be masons, carpenters, wrights and smiths, you would have them in shops making you a fortune. Most likely the reason no slaves ever were entered into such businesses, is because their skills were of the lowest level and only reached that when a White master craftsman had taught them to swing a hammer and hold a stone drill bit.........this still happens today! A lot of young people out of high school can not read a tape measure.

There was a labor shortage. According to the White House Historical Association, the commissioners planning the building of the new District of Columbia originally planned to import workers from Europe. But when recruitment failed to meet their needs, they turned to slave owners, who would hire out small groups of slaves to earn money. The slaves were involved not only in cutting logs and removing stumps for construction of the new buildings and streets in D.C... Black quarrymen, sawyers, brick makers, and carpenters fashioned raw materials into the products used to erect the White House" reports the Historical Association..."
Who built the White House

Common understanding..... RAW MATERIALS were trees, mud and rock, roughed out to materials which Caucasian experienced craftsmen and apprentices would then build the White House with.

Do you think Betsy Ross used slaves to create the American flag?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Michelle Obama went to City College of New York and told the graduating students that she is living in a house built by slaves. This speech happened on June 4, 2016. Here is video of that speach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2CVQ5jmn0
That's not all she said. Interesting you folks got stuck on one line of a very good speech.

http://time.com/4357063/michelle-oba...cement-speech/

Typical.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
IMO it is very strange how so many of you take offense to any mention of slavery.

A majority of the laborers on the White House itself and a large amount of the actual house servants prior the Civil War were indeed slaves.

I don't see how you get offended by that when the construction was hundreds of years ago.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You do know it takes many years to become a skilled craftsman. The people below the skilled craftsman, are they consider slaves today?

The word is WRIGHT, as much as SMITH, which are common English names, but they meant highly skilled craftsmen. There were not power tools, and nails were made one at a time. Tools were something an apprentice required years to acquire the skills to be a master.

If one looks at the actual work history, one finds that the rough work in the quarries was carried out by slaves, as that is all they were good for. Using common sense in this, if you had slaves who could be masons, carpenters, wrights and smiths, you would have them in shops making you a fortune. Most likely the reason no slaves ever were entered into such businesses, is because their skills were of the lowest level and only reached that when a White master craftsman had taught them to swing a hammer and hold a stone drill bit.........this still happens today! A lot of young people out of high school can not read a tape measure.

There was a labor shortage. According to the White House Historical Association, the commissioners planning the building of the new District of Columbia originally planned to import workers from Europe. But when recruitment failed to meet their needs, they turned to slave owners, who would hire out small groups of slaves to earn money. The slaves were involved not only in cutting logs and removing stumps for construction of the new buildings and streets in D.C... Black quarrymen, sawyers, brick makers, and carpenters fashioned raw materials into the products used to erect the White House" reports the Historical Association..."
Who built the White House

Common understanding..... RAW MATERIALS were trees, mud and rock, roughed out to materials which Caucasian experienced craftsmen and apprentices would then build the White House with.

Do you think Betsy Ross used slaves to create the American flag?
You completely missed the fact, or are avoiding it altogether that for a long time this country, and indeed the entire "civilized" world bought and sold human beings like cattle.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
No, it does not hit close to home. My fathers family has been here since before the revolution and I have descendants that fought in the revolution and my ggg grandfather and grandmother were scalped by a Seneca Indian raiding party in Pa. My gg grandfather fought at Gettysburg for the north and was wounded and discharged. None of us has ever lived south of the mason Dixon line nor owned one slave, so no, I have absolutely no guilt feelings what so ever. And you thought all white folks had it easy during this time period. Hell, we were lucky to survive. You should walk in another mans shoes before judging or making frivolous statements.
As a genealogist, I am astonished when any person can make such a claim with a straight face. I am also descended from Colonials, dating back to 1636. In nearly twenty-five years of consistent research, I still cannot fill in some branches of my family tree. There is no way that you can make such a statement with any degree of certainty. A twelve-generation ancestor chart, and that's what I takes to get back to pre-Revolutionary America, includes 4095 individuals! But even with what I do have documented, I have found evidence of ancestors who both supported and opposed slavery. Believe me, if your tree also goes as deep as mine, it's the same for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies