Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I do find it interesting no comments on my situation...
I don't know what you want anyone to say here, Stymie. The burden of pregnancy and a child who comes of it is typically the mother's. She has the final say, and your girlfriend decided to abort. Even in my situation, where my husband and I agreed that termination was for the best, he recognizes (we talked about this just the other day) that the decision was ultimately mine, and only mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Medical Standards for Abortion Clinics Are No War on Women | US News

Old 06-27-2016, 01:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't know what you want anyone to say here, Stymie. The burden of pregnancy and a child who comes of it is typically the mother's. She has the final say, and your girlfriend decided to abort. Even in my situation, where my husband and I agreed that termination was for the best, he recognizes (we talked about this just the other day) that the decision was ultimately mine, and only mine.
I agree it's a woman's decision.

But references to zygotes and blastocysts and then saying only the woman can care...

That's why this topic always irks me. Always has, always will.

In my teens and 20s, I was as militant as many of the posters. Anyone that goes through it, on either side, and isn't truly changed by it, well kinda leaves me and the 30-40 I know who have been through it, on the outside of that particular circle.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
The wailing of the Righties is hypocritical. Too bad they care more about the unborn than they do about children who go hungry or who are murdered by gun violence or who die in needless wars started to get rid of dictators Right Wing pols don't like.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:45 PM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Frankly, I think that women in general - this thread notwithstanding - are smart enough to see through the phony "concern" that was the basis of these laws, and see that those backing such laws thought women too stupid to realize what was going on.
Women, including myself, are fully cognizant of what's going on: treating women like 2nd class citizens is perfectly acceptable as long as they have access to subpar medical facilities for abortions.

Why insist on treating women like 2nd class citizens when there's clearly no need to? No one's wailing and hand-wringing about lack of access to surgery centers that must meet the higher standards.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not saying that.....but there has to be some level of risk acceptance.
And the moral acceptance of risk comes with moral acceptance of responsibility.

Intelligent, responsible and moral women accept the responsibility or find ways to reduce the risk before pregnacy occurs.

Do mistakes happen? Sure ....BC fails occasionally.

But the vast majority of abortions are not done because of failed BC.

They are done as a matter of convenience to the "intelligent responsible and moral" women who think that it won't happen to them.
Getting an abortion IS an acceptance of responsibility. Abortions aren't free. Abortions aren't comfortable. No one wakes up in the morning and says, oooooh, I better get pregnant soon, because I've been wanting to get an abortion my whole life.

Mistakes happen. And birth control fails. I've known women who've had tubal ligations who've gotten pregnant, I've known men who've had vasectomies and then ended up fathers. If birth control fails 1% of the time, and that's probably a low number, then consider how many people every day are having sex. If 50 million people engage in sex each day, and 75% of those don't want pregnancy and are using birth control, you're talking about 180,000 potential unwanted pregnancies per day.

Abortions aren't a convenience.

Abortions are a heart-wrenching and difficult choice that women who probably already have children they are struggling to support and nurture, who understand that having a child entails social, economic and physical risks, and who are not selfish for thinking about their own well-being and the well-being of their existing families.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Women, including myself, are fully cognizant of what's going on: treating women like 2nd class citizens is perfectly acceptable as long as they have access to subpar medical facilities for abortions.

Why insist on treating women like 2nd class citizens when there's clearly no need to? No one's wailing and hand-wringing about lack of access to surgery centers that must meet the higher standards.
If you simply avoid having an abortion, you will never ever need to worry about the condition of clinics that offer such services. So that's a good solution for your worry.

Your feigned concern for the well-being of others does very little to hide your obvious contempt of choice.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
I agree it's a woman's decision.

But references to zygotes and blastocysts and then saying only the woman can care...

That's why this topic always irks me. Always has, always will.

In my teens and 20s, I was as militant as many of the posters. Anyone that goes through it, on either side, and isn't truly changed by it, well kinda leaves me and the 30-40 I know who have been through it, on the outside of that particular circle.

I think the point as far as the SCOTUS decision is that the government should be on the outside of that particular circle, not the people involved. The people involved should have options and be free to make their own decision, unaffected by either the government or the beliefs of others.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the point as far as the SCOTUS decision is that the government should be on the outside of that particular circle, not the people involved. The people involved should have options and be free to make their own decision, unaffected by either the government or the beliefs of others.
As a male, I have no say in the matter. I found that out by paying when my other offer was rejected.

The irony was 3 years later when I get the letter and 3 am phone calls full of regret wishing she had let me raise the kid.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
As a male, I have no say in the matter. I found that out by paying when my other offer was rejected.

The irony was 3 years later when I get the letter and 3 am phone calls full of regret wishing she had let me raise the kid.
That would be rough. Sounds like she didn't think things through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies