Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 AM

11,227 posts, read 8,317,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, because she gets pregnant by immaculate conception, right? I note there is not a shred of responsibility put on the men in your little fantasy world. Only the women are "idiots" for not "keeping their legs closed" and getting pregnant. That pretty much tells us all we need to know about you.

Sorry that you don't get to tell women what they get to do with their bodies. That really ticks you off, doesn't it?

Good.
I am a STAUNCH Pro-Choicer, and I agree with 50% of your comment. I agree that we (I am a man) don't get to tell women what to do with their bodies. Unfortunately, the other half of the equation is women who think they have more right to tell the man how his child will (or won't) be raised. It takes two to get pregnant, and ideally it should take two to decide what to do next. If they can't agree, I can see where the woman has more authority, but 100%, once that child is born, there should be equal parenting, and there is not in our current law.

As a divorced father, I know what it's like to be shut out, and to watch one bad decision after another be made on behalf of my daugter, knowing it will impact the rest of her life, and knowing the law is not on my side. My choices are either to go along and watch the destructive behavior, or to pull away after my legal obligation ends. Neither is a fair choice.

So while I agree with your comment, it's not as one-sided as you paint it to be. Men get the crap-end of the stick, especially true after the child is born.

Again, I applaud the SCOTUS decision. I'm for government out of my personal life. Funny how so-called conservatives are not in practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You are the one who doesn't seem to notice her jumping up and down with joy because of the decision. I think abortion "rights" is part of the Democratic platform. One of the reasons I left the Democratic party. I didn't leave the Democratic party; it left me with its unChristian values.

A death happens every time a baby is aborted. I think some of you need to be reminded of that because of a statement I just saw in another post. Every abortion results in at least one death.

"Very few died; deaths due to legal abortion are very rare." I cannot believe anyone would make such a stupid statement.
The quote was in reference to the WOMAN not the fetus. I truly hope you were aware of that as it was quite obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's irrelevant.

Conservatives have been saying (and teaching kids!) that abstinence is the ONLY way to avoid pregnancy.

If you don't want to be a father; if you don't want to get a woman pregnant, ABSTAIN FROM HAVING SEX!

Now, who, exactly wants to have their cake and eat it, too???

Bristol Palin.

Quote:
You would pay for a liberal's abortion but leave a conservative woman seeking an abortion in the dust?

OK

They operate under the misguided impression that Republican/Conservative women do not have abortions. We know how false that is.

Quote:
Well, I just looked at the list of members for New Jersey and Texas.

None of them are doctors. One member of the Texas House has the nickname "Doc", but no MD after his name. One had the title 'Esq.' after his name, so they do include titles, if applicable.

If you believe MDs are serving in state legislatures, please provide proof.
Well. Once elected - a Republican man is automatically awarded his MD degree in order that he be qualified to legislate a woman's uterus and discuss things like 'the body just shuts that down' and also their legal degree so that they might discuss things like 'legitimate rape' and what qualifies.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Weird how the left wants to regulate everything except abortion clinics.
Weird how the right wants to get the government out of everything except people's personal lives.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Doesn't it bother you to see women congratulating themselves that it will now be easier for them to murder their offspring? You get the feeling this is the ONLY thing that matters to them. I find it disgusting. Congratulations Hillary Clinton. Women you represent will get to continue their barbaric practice. Aren't you proud of yourselves?

Should we put this great accomplishment on your tombstone some day. She worked hard to make sure women could continue to abort their babies instead of doing the logical thing and use birth control.
Women DO use birth control. Birth control fails. And women aren't "murdering their offspring". They are ending an unwanted pregnancy. And your opinion is duly noted. It's irrelevant, as well. It's not your body, it's not your life, it's not your future. It's just you being all holier-than-thou and judgmental. You don't know anything about these women, but you feel entitled to pass judgment on them. Bless your heart!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Some really damaging testimony

Quote:
  • Expert testimony stating that in respect to surgicalabortion patients who do suffer complications requiringhospitalization, most of these complications occur in thedays after the abortion, not on the spot. See id., at 382; see also.id, at 267.
  • Expert testimony stating that a delay before the onset of complications is also expected for medical abortions, as"abortifacient drugs take time to exert their effects, andthus the abortion itself almost always occurs after the patient has left the abortion facility." Id., at 278.
  • Some experts added that, if a patient needs a hospital inthe day or week following her abortion, she will likely seek medical attention at the hospital nearest her home. See,e.g., id., at 153.
We have found nothing in Texas’ record evidence thatshows that, compared to prior law (which required a "working arrangement" with a doctor with admitting privileges), the new law advanced Texas’ legitimate interest in protecting women’s health.

We add that, when directly asked at oral argument whether Texas knew of a single instance in which the new requirement would have helped even one woman obtainbetter treatment, Texas admitted that there was no evidence in the record of such a case. See Tr. of Oral Arg. 47.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...5-274_p8k0.pdf

Interesting exchange on page 47 of oral arguments

Quote:
JUSTICE BREYER: Judge Posner then seems to be correct where he says he could find in the entire nation, in his opinion, only one arguable example of such a thing, and he's not certain that even that one is correct. So what is the benefit to the woman of a procedure that is going to cure a problem of which there is not one single instance in the nation, though perhaps there is one, but not in Texas. (laughter)

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arg...5-274_l53m.pdf

Old 06-28-2016, 08:14 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
The best defense against violence is to make the penalty for killing someone death to the person who did it. Abortion ends a life too.
That is only if you consider a non-viable embryo a human life however many of us don't. And it shouldn't be a problem for you if you would be so kind as to avoid trying to impose your religious beliefs on everyone else. Simply mind your own business and don't have an abortion -problem solved.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-28-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
As a woman who aborted for severe fetal anomaly and has never shied away from the abortion debate, I've encountered a lot of criticism, but I think this very well may be the first time someone has advocated my execution for terminating a pregnancy affected by anencephaly.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 AM

89,095 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
As a woman who aborted for severe fetal anomaly and has never shied away from the abortion debate, I've encountered a lot of criticism, but I think this very well may be the first time someone has advocated my execution for terminating a pregnancy affected by anencephaly.
I don't think you should be criticized for your decision. But I do think every woman should have the same standard of medical care you did. Unfortunately, you're good with allowing providers to maintain substandard facilities.

With this decision, SCOTUS has ruled that women and their health care needs are 2nd class... It's a start... The precedent has been set. In what other areas will women be forced to accept being treated as 2nd class and not worthy of the same high standards others are provided by law?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
To be fair, I've heard liberals say that they would abolish gun-ownership if it even saved a single life.

When you ask, "Is it enough to warrant the law?", you're asking people to make a judgement, based not on facts, but on feelings.

For instance, there have been something like 60 million abortions since Roe v. Wade. Even if you're talking about a quarter or a half of one-percent, that means between 150,000 to 300,000 women have had to go to the emergency room after having an abortion. And I'm sure many of them died.

If you went by the liberal logic on gun-control, then if you can save even one life, you should do it.

Of course, we're talking about abortion, not gun-control, so they don't care.

You realize that more women died from childbirth than from abortions?
Why the U.S. maternal mortality rate is up - CNN.com

The rate of medical complications during pregnancy and childbirth is much higher than that of abortion complications. Birth Complications On The Rise In The U.S., Study Finds

If the radical right wing Christians want an excuse to close abortion clinics, they need to find something better than the "complication rate of abortion."

Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,298,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Some of them, yes. Take a look at any state's legislature. You'll find MDs.
And just how many of them offered their support for the standards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies