Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 01:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How, then, did solid Democratic states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina go Republican?
They had to.. all those dixiecrats had to change their tune .they lost their voice... they no longer had a grip on the people of the south.. they didn't preach segregation anymore.. it was defeated and the people responded. George Wallace is a good example. Democrat that changed his tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Mute??!!! LOL
Are you afraid you can't debate 1-8 for looking silly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
All that proves is that you can't answer the question.
Neither can DC at the Ridge....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Total nonsense.
The more out in space they get the more ridiculous the comments get! DNA in America, that would be laughable if it wasn't so shameful of a comment.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They had to.. all those dixiecrats had to change their tune .they lost their voice... they no longer had a grip on the people of the south.. they didn't preach segregation anymore.. it was defeated and the people responded. George Wallace is a good example. Democrat that changed his tune.
They had to switch from Democratic to Republicans in the national election? Johnson didn't change his tune. All those Democrats switched to the more conservative candidate. Sorry, that's just history. After the Civil War, racist white Southerners supported the Democratic Party. And the Republican Party courted America's liberals. Over the next decades, this shifted. Democrats became increasingly liberal, Republicans became more conservative.And the racist white Southerners became increasingly frustrated with the growing liberalism of the Democratic Party. When the National Democratic Party in 1948 refused to support segregation, the Dixiecrats walked out and decided to stage a coup. They had their own convention and ran their own candidate, not because they expected to win, but because they thought they could throw the election into the House of Representatives, and then bargain for segregation. They didn't care which party would end up taking their bargain, they only wanted to get the federal government to support segregation. The Dixiecrats lost. But the racist white Southerners didn't go away. By 1964 they were so disillusioned by the Democrats and Johnson that they went for the conservative Republican Goldwater. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Went for conservative Republican Goldwater. There wasn't an influx of Republicans to those states. They were the same voters who'd voted Dixiecrat in 1948. In 1964 they voted Republican. In 1968 they went Republican or they went George Wallace. In 1972 they went Republican.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Are you afraid you can't debate 1-8 for looking silly?

Neither can DC at the Ridge....

The more out in space they get the more ridiculous the comments get! DNA in America, that would be laughable if it wasn't so shameful of a comment.
What is 1-8?

I can debate anything. But what you don't seem to understand is that I don't have to let you frame the discussion. I'll decide what's worth responding to. And frankly, you haven't proffered much more than Stormfront blather.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Obama cannot fix the devaluing of black neighborhoods or the legacy of housing discrimination. It is just something that has to occur gradually as our country becomes less discriminatory based on race.

FWIW, I do feel that black people on a family by family basis can increase our net worth and especially so in regards to real estate by buying more than one home in inner cities (if they choose to live in inner cities) or by purchasing homes in majority white neighborhoods that will better hold their value.

I personally always live in majority black neighborhoods that are poor to middle class. I like to live beneath my means (WAY beneath my means) and I have bought homes for cash and so I don't have a mortgage. Due to not having a mortgage on multiple properties, I also have a lot of equity in my homes even though individually they aren't worth that much (about $30-$60k each). Together though, I have nearly $200k in net worth which is the value of my assets minus my liabilities. Too many black families don't have enough valuable assets and IMO the best way to increase the one's wealth is to invest in valuable assets. If you are going to invest in real estate, and you have $200k to buy a home, you can buy a $200k home in a majority black, nice suburban subdivision that may fall prey to the housing market and devaluation in another housing crisis or you can buy in an inner city neighborhood (especially in cities that are seeing high amounts of gentrification of inner city neighborhoods) and buy more than one home in areas where values are more stable and in demand.

IMO inner city areas are very good areas for investing. Contrary to what many people believe, most black Americans now live in the suburbs and the mindset to leave the inner city for greener pastures per se in the burbs is still very popular amongst black Americans. As a result, they are leaving for the burbs while other groups, especially higher income earners, are moving back to the core of urban areas and those cores are increasing in value in many areas. Many times our grandmother's old houses that are owned outright are a much better investment than a suburban home that is 3 times as large in a subdivision because grandma's house is full equity (wealth) and even if you don't live in it you can use it as an income property.
If you would read your own advice......it has nothing to do with blacks not qualifying for a loan. It has to do with accessible cash on hand, job income or qualify for a loan.

Most people don't have these means. For you to talk and act like this is some easy thing to do, all one needs is cash, makes me wonder if you understand renting, buying in low income areas versus buying in a clean neighborhood. Most people are not contractors or construction workers for fixer upper homes.

I rented a house out that I owed and the renters destroyed it beyond my finances to fix it. The insurance company only paid so much out. This was reported and made me a high risk homeowner. The insurance companies put a high tag on home insurance and they would not allow me to carry renters insurance, in the end I lost the house, you can't rent out without insurance. The home was for sale and I could not sell the house with all the damage and I lived out of state.

Plus, you seem to not be addressing the upkeep on the house, property taxes, homeowners insurance and renters insurance......its a lot more than just a mortgage payment. Most fixer uppers are not what poor people can afford, they need to be able to do the repairs.

Kind of false information.......like your Atlantic article.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What is 1-8?
Here it is, as if you will have any answers.

So tell me what the difference is between the KKK tactics and current Democrats? I provide the following -
1. mobs in Ferguson who burn down mini marts
2. those who make threats against pizza parlors
3. pseudo union members who throw tantrums in Wisconsin
4. Dem governors who announce boycotts of travel to states where the citizen's "minds aren't right"
5. Supporting groups like BLM and Occupy Wall Street
6. Failing to win the war against ISIS
7. Attacking GOP convention and the supporters
8 Hammer & Sickle flags on display at the DNC and burning/stomping of the American flag

Did you see any GOP/Republicans outside of the DNC protesting?
Quote:
I can debate anything. But what you don't seem to understand is that I don't have to let you frame the discussion. I'll decide what's worth responding to. And frankly, you haven't proffered much more than Stormfront blather.

You brought in David Duke, like a childish person, so don't pass your immaturity off on me. You claimed he supported Trump, I showed you he supported Hillary.....I have never visited a Stormfront site, but appears you have been to their site.......nice deflection, can't debate throw some crap and see if you can be repped.......childish!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
The Southern Democratic Party was the racist party that spawned the KKK. Segregation, not so much, since that was a phenomena that was present in the North and the South.

That Southern Democratic Party no longer exists.
Actually, they do. Welcome to the NINBY racism of the blue cities/states:

The most segregated schools are in blue states:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...youd-expect-2/

Chicago: America's most segregated city - Jan. 5, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...057_story.html

Etc.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Here it is, as if you will have any answers.

So tell me what the difference is between the KKK tactics and current Democrats? I provide the following -
1. mobs in Ferguson who burn down mini marts
2. those who make threats against pizza parlors
3. pseudo union members who throw tantrums in Wisconsin
4. Dem governors who announce boycotts of travel to states where the citizen's "minds aren't right"
5. Supporting groups like BLM and Occupy Wall Street
6. Failing to win the war against ISIS
7. Attacking GOP convention and the supporters
8 Hammer & Sickle flags on display at the DNC and burning/stomping of the American flag

Did you see any GOP/Republicans outside of the DNC protesting?

You brought in David Duke, like a childish person, so don't pass your immaturity off on me. You claimed he supported Trump, I showed you he supported Hillary.....I have never visited a Stormfront site, but appears you have been to their site.......nice deflection, can't debate throw some crap and see if you can be repped.......childish!
Never saw your 1-8 before.

1. Current Democrats do not support mobs in Ferguson burning down mini marts.
2. Current Democrats do not support threats against pizza parlors.
3. Current Democrats don't support adults throwing tantrums in Wisconsin.
4. I have no idea what this is about.
5. I think Democrats and Republicans support some of the goals that BLM and Occupy Wall Street advocated. Since both groups are very de-centralized, there will always be actions of some that will offend or even horrify others.
6. I don't think Republicans won the war against ISIS either. They didn't win it against Al Qaeda. And when Al Qaeda and ISIS have faded into memory, there will be another terrorist group. There is always another terrorist group.
7. I was shocked, shocked I tell ya, about how the GOP convention had to be stopped because of all the violence, and all the supporters who died and had to be hospitalized. Shocking!
8. I support 100% freedom of speech. If Sanders supporters want to wave Soviet flags as a way of protesting how the primaries went, they are entitled to do so. If someone wants to stomp or burn an American flag, they are entitled to do so. Because its an exercise of free speech.

And 9. I'm sure there were some Republicans outside the DNC. But they didn't have to do much in the way of protesting, since Sanders' supporters were so vocal. But I support 100% such protests, at any political event. There is no excuse for violence. But peaceful protest shouldn't just be tolerated, it should be applauded, because it is patriotic and American to exercise our right of free speech and to fight for our rights to be part of the process.

David Duke wasn't a childish remark. Duke recently asserted Trump support of his Senate campaign. Trump has 100% denied it. But the fact that Duke tries to ally himself with Trump speaks volumes. And you never showed that Duke supported Hillary.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
If you would read your own advice......it has nothing to do with blacks not qualifying for a loan. It has to do with accessible cash on hand, job income or qualify for a loan.

Most people don't have these means. For you to talk and act like this is some easy thing to do, all one needs is cash, makes me wonder if you understand renting, buying in low income areas versus buying in a clean neighborhood. Most people are not contractors or construction workers for fixer upper homes.

I rented a house out that I owed and the renters destroyed it beyond my finances to fix it. The insurance company only paid so much out. This was reported and made me a high risk homeowner. The insurance companies put a high tag on home insurance and they would not allow me to carry renters insurance, in the end I lost the house, you can't rent out without insurance. The home was for sale and I could not sell the house with all the damage and I lived out of state.

Plus, you seem to not be addressing the upkeep on the house, property taxes, homeowners insurance and renters insurance......its a lot more than just a mortgage payment. Most fixer uppers are not what poor people can afford, they need to be able to do the repairs.

Kind of false information.......like your Atlantic article.
In regards to the black, I think that is the difference between your view of black people and mine.

I feel that a majority of black people have jobs and they have a decent enough of an income to be able to buy a home. I also feel that they, like me can qualify for a loan and if they don't at the moment they can take steps to qualify for a loan within 2 years.

The homes that I bought for cash were all for less than $10k cash. I live in a house I bought for $7k that is now worth $60K. I have total equity in this house and when I bought it I only had to put about $3K into it for repairs (someone had vandalized the HVAC system and some electrical wires). I am not a contractor either but I know some contractors via family and friends and they give me a good deal when I need some work done. Most black people know someone who is a contractor or someone who knows a contractor.

There are houses in my area still that are selling for less than $10k in inner city black neighborhoods that need very little work beyond cosmetic repairs. Recently one was for sale for $2k that needed little work beyond cosmetic repairs. Many black people have $2k. That is not a huge sum of money.

I rent out multiple homes. I hire a company to manage them for me for about $50-$100 a month. They perform regular housekeeping and maintenance inspections and I have never had an issue with a tenant destroying any of my properties. Also, due to not having any payments on these homes, I have all the rents deposited into an account so if there is a huge expense then I have the money to cover it without utilizing my insurance (which I would only do in the case of fire or flood, etc.).

On the upkeep portion you mentioned, I have worked in property management as well and I pay all of those things from the rental income automatically. Taxes aren't that high and neither is insurance. You also can write off property taxes and any repairs you make on rental properties on your tax returns. Last year I actually got a refund on my taxes because a tree fell at one of my houses and I had to make some repairs and get the fallen tree removed. I always get a tax credit based on the property taxes I pay along with the fees I pay the property management company.

You should read the article I posted before you say it is false. It is a long article and some people don't like to read long pieces. It is specifically about the history of housing discrimination and how that has caused black people to have less wealth than other demographics. Too many people are unaware of this history that only recently was righted in the 1980s.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Total nonsense.
Slavery never happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Why are people talking about this? Why does Mrs. O continually bring this up too? Quit peeling off the scab and let it heal already.
Heal doesn't mean forget. We aren't gonna forget. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies