Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 06:16 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
CEO's get more wealth and workers get the shaft. Get to hire new workers who will be worked like slaves with no benefits,low wages and long hours. Thanks for giving me another store I WON'T be using to furnish our new home in October!

“We cannot let companies like Ashley bleed the American dream,” Naja said. “It’s not only the employees, but the families, the kids, the wives. They’ve got wives with medical situations and things like that. There’s no way a huge company like Ashley’s can shut down the doors.”

Another former employee, Juan Zuniga, 36, said he is the only breadwinner for his family, with three kids.

“I feel sorry for every single one of our family,” Zuniga said. “This is my family. I’ve been here more than in my home. I’ve spent 10 to 12 hours working in there.”

Roselia Serrano, 40, of Colton, also is the sole income provider for her family with two teenagers. She said Friday was the first time the workers were informed of the layoffs.

“Right now, I’m in shock. My head is spinning and I don’t know what’s going to be my next step,” Serrano said. “I know we have to look for another job.”

Zuniga said he and other workers are organizing a Labor Day protest in front of the store.

“We’re going to be here making a protest and we’re calling everybody that can come to please support us and find out what they did to us,” Zuniga said. “Come and support all the hard-working employees and parents that take income to their house. I’m the only one supporting my family. I’m the only one paying a mortgage.”
" Get to hire new workers who will be worked like slaves with no benefits,low wages and long hours.'

YOU should NOT be running your company like that.

Oh wait, you DON'T own this company.

What IS your company ownership experience?

Instead of lambasting the company and its owners why don't you blast CA and its high cost of living, taxes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Jeez. I thought Snopes and Wiki were bad. Now we've sunken to quoting BLOGS? God Bless America. She needs all the help she can get!
Not quite sure what got your knickers in a bunch but how about this, read the articles and then come back here and we can discuss it..you know, like adults do.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Wow! Your post demonstrates just how far America has gone downhill! You actually believe that someone who works an honest job full time, should not receive a wage enough to live on.

Pay is related to skills required, not your lifestyle. We all live differently, some frugally, some lavishly, and that does not change the Fair Market Value of a job. Nor is there a magic number of hours to work. If you spend too much to make enough in 40 hours a week, we provide you with the freedom to work more if you wish.

Freedom rocks.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$15 an hour to build furniture doesn't seem all that much.
I work in a factory. Not all employees are of equal skill and responsibility. I agree $15.00 an hour for a skilled tradesman is cheap.
$15.00 for the person sweeping office floors? A bit high.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They're moving to cheaper states. The workers should follow their jobs. If they sell their California homes they will find they can live much more cheaply in other states, can get homes for probably half the price and will do the happy dance when they see what their property taxes will be.

There you go again, talking about things you don't know about. Property taxes are quite low in CA considering the home values. You have people paying lower taxes in homes valued close to a million, where people in other states are paying higher property taxes(TX is a good example) for a home valued at 300K.

And again, there is more to CA than just LA, San Francisco, and San Diego.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Obama's fault.
GW Bush's fault.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:27 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
I'm not surprised this company is leaving California with a minimum wage of $15 an hour and moving operations to states, NC/Miss/WI, all with a minimum wages less than half that amount.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm not surprised this company is leaving California with a minimum wage of $15 an hour and moving operations to states, NC/Miss/WI, all with a minimum wages less than half that amount.
Actually the current minimum wage in California is NOT $15 an hour, it is $10 an hour. It is not slated to be $15 an hour until 2023.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why? I live in CA and wouldn't live in some of those humid southern states if you paid me.

There is no guarantee that if they relocate to say Mississippi, leaving family and long time friends and everything they know that Ashley won't turn around a year from now and move the operation out of the country. Now they're living in a strange state they only moved to follow the job but never wanted to live in.

Now you're out of a job and located some place you really don't want to be, and don't know anyone. Not good.

Better to look for something local first.

You live in TN, I have seen your other posts about CA, you have never lived in CA, don't assume the whole state is expensive. You watch "reality TV"(sigh) showing expensive homes in CA on some real estate show and get all your information from that.

That would like saying everyone in TN only likes country music and can only dance the two step.
It comes down to would you rather have a job or not. Haven't you ever moved for work?

Would you rather be out of work in an expensive state or in a place you can afford? Where in California is it cheap to live?

The only reality TV show I watch is Project Runway (and sometimes Top Chef) and they are in NYC (also expensive). I'm from NY and I've lived in MD when I moved for a job. I've been to Los Angeles a few times. It's expensive to live there, there's too much traffic and regular people don't have much property.

And I can't dance.

Tennessee State Quarter

The Tennessee quarter, the first quarter of 2002 and sixteenth in the 50 State Quarters Program, celebrates the state's contributions to our nation's musical heritage. The design incorporates musical instruments and a score with the inscription "Musical Heritage." Three stars represent Tennessee's three regions and the instruments symbolize each region's distinct musical style.

The fiddle represents the Appalachian music of east Tennessee, the trumpet stands for the blues of west Tennessee for which Memphis is famous, and the guitar is for central Tennessee, home to Nashville, the capital of country music.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well yes for a union nut not necessarily a right to work state, good wages, no exploitation?
Why do you think that every company that is not unionized exploits their workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies