Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Haiti doesn't need aid, they need INFRASTRUCTURE, not freebies! NGOs and USAID giving poor countries freebies is precisely holding them back. The Chinese are in other countries developing infrastructure for their own ends, and leaving the locals to their own devices to make use of it. In other words, China treats its clients as businesses, not welfare recipients. In fact, I would say we should apply the Chinese model to our own welfare system, too but that's a topic for another thread

You're still being paranoid about the intentions of the Chinese. We only use foreign land for military bases, and that's about it. China, of course, wants military bases too, but at least they pump money into the larger economy. Who cares if they don't do it for altruistic reasons, we NEVER did anything for altruistic reasons, either. Yes, even the Marshal Plan wasn't a giveaway. They had to pay us back.

You are spinning what I''m saying 180 degrees out..I'm hardly paranoid as to Chinas intentions. On the contrary, I completely understand them. Same with Duarte. My view on this is not American centric, at all. I'm looking at this from an Asian standpoint. From there, it all makes perfect sense. Altruistic reasons? Asian countries don't do anything for such reasons. Everything they do has a purpose and a goal. And, they are VERY systematic as to how they go about things.

I think you're confusing what I'm saying about how the Chinese, and the Japanese, see the Filipinos, and thinking that I'm saying there is "evil" intent. Ummm, no, not so much. All Asian countries see themselves as the "true" people. That makes for a lot of what we Americans might view as "institutional racism". The Chinese, and to an even greater extent, the Japanese, are very hung up on purity. Its always been that way. The Filipinos, looking at the government mostly now, are quite aware of this. They may not hold so firmly to those ideals, but they understand them, from the inside.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the negotiations twixt the Chinese and the PI. It will be quite entertaining. The Chinese may ...underestimate..the Filipinos, going in. The latter are shrewd in business, and more than capable of making sure they don't get hosed. The Chinese will have to quickly put aside any feelings of superiority, based merely on who they are. Though they will still have those feelings, they will bury them, and at least put on the appearance of an equal footing. The Japanese work much the same way. Masters of masking. At least publically, and for the sake of business. Ahhh, yes. Much fragrant grease will be sown. As I said, I'd love to actually see the negotiations happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Germans condoned summary executions too after electing Hitler through democratic elections, but it didn't make it right. EU and US are right in condemning the murders, and Duterte doesn't like it. Too bad, but it may end up being good for US, because many of the 1M+ call center jobs we outsourced to the Philippines might come back to US because of this thug.
Only if PI tosses out the jobs or they become more expensive than the same service in the U.S.. As long as it's cheaper in PI and the PI government doesn't care those jobs will stay right where they are.
Money has no conscience.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:23 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Only if PI tosses out the jobs or they become more expensive than the same service in the U.S.. As long as it's cheaper in PI and the PI government doesn't care those jobs will stay right where they are.
Money has no conscience.
You mean the companies with US customers who call to talk to a live person with a problem don't care. This is not a Filipino government saying we don't want our middle class working the graveyard shift to help Company X's customers in America

Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Money has no conscience.
It sure sounds like Duterte wants to toss them out. As a matter of fact theses companies have called for an emergency meeting with Duterte to discuss the situation.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It sure sounds like Duterte wants to toss them out. As a matter of fact theses companies have called for an emergency meeting with Duterte to discuss the situation.
And $$$$$$$$$$ or some other "consideration" will be exchanged and life will go on as usual.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Germans condoned summary executions too after electing Hitler through democratic elections, but it didn't make it right. EU and US are right in condemning the murders, and Duterte doesn't like it. Too bad, but it may end up being good for US, because many of the 1M+ call center jobs we outsourced to the Philippines might come back to US because of this thug.
There you go. Maybe your mind your own business attitude will catch on and the US might get something good out of it. Why should you be telling the Filipinos what to do with their criminals. You might think he's a thug for executing drug warlords, but it doesn't matter. His people think he is a hero. But I'm afraid the CIA will take him out, like it always does with unruly neo-colonial satraps of the US who suddenly no longer listen to Washington.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You are spinning what I''m saying 180 degrees out..I'm hardly paranoid as to Chinas intentions. On the contrary, I completely understand them. Same with Duarte. My view on this is not American centric, at all. I'm looking at this from an Asian standpoint. From there, it all makes perfect sense. Altruistic reasons? Asian countries don't do anything for such reasons. Everything they do has a purpose and a goal. And, they are VERY systematic as to how they go about things.

I think you're confusing what I'm saying about how the Chinese, and the Japanese, see the Filipinos, and thinking that I'm saying there is "evil" intent. Ummm, no, not so much. All Asian countries see themselves as the "true" people. That makes for a lot of what we Americans might view as "institutional racism". The Chinese, and to an even greater extent, the Japanese, are very hung up on purity. Its always been that way. The Filipinos, looking at the government mostly now, are quite aware of this. They may not hold so firmly to those ideals, but they understand them, from the inside.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the negotiations twixt the Chinese and the PI. It will be quite entertaining. The Chinese may ...underestimate..the Filipinos, going in. The latter are shrewd in business, and more than capable of making sure they don't get hosed. The Chinese will have to quickly put aside any feelings of superiority, based merely on who they are. Though they will still have those feelings, they will bury them, and at least put on the appearance of an equal footing. The Japanese work much the same way. Masters of masking. At least publically, and for the sake of business. Ahhh, yes. Much fragrant grease will be sown. As I said, I'd love to actually see the negotiations happen.
The Chinese have 56 ethnic groups in their country. Sure the Han is dominant, but I hardly think the Chinese are hung up on purity. They are incredibly pragmatic, that's all. The Japanese on the other hand.....

Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
The problem with the USA in the eyes of just about everyone else is this notion that we some how own the moral high ground and have been given the right to impose our beliefs upon everyone else. This truly is the root cause of so many hating Americans.
We have lost Thailand as an ally, now we have lost the Philippines, both have been staunch allies of the USA. This thug as you call him appears to be quite popular with his people. You also seem to forget the many very corrupt regimes that the USA has supported. You know, like the Shah of Iran, The South Vietnamese Government, the Cuban Government before Castro (not saying Castro was a win for Cuba) how many South American governments? The US has a nasty habit of supporting brutal and corrupt governments simply because we are able to buy them.
Obama's foreign policy decisions have hurt us far more than helped us. He isn't alone because just about every President in modern history has played the same game.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The problem with the USA in the eyes of just about everyone else is this notion that we some how own the moral high ground and have been given the right to impose our beliefs upon everyone else. This truly is the root cause of so many hating Americans.
We have lost Thailand as an ally, now we have lost the Philippines, both have been staunch allies of the USA. This thug as you call him appears to be quite popular with his people. You also seem to forget the many very corrupt regimes that the USA has supported. You know, like the Shah of Iran, The South Vietnamese Government, the Cuban Government before Castro (not saying Castro was a win for Cuba) how many South American governments? The US has a nasty habit of supporting brutal and corrupt governments simply because we are able to buy them.
Obama's foreign policy decisions have hurt us far more than helped us. He isn't alone because just about every President in modern history has played the same game.
Very true! <BOLD>

Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
We cheered it also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies