Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's pretty obvious that you're not looking at our history with our neighbors in this hemisphere and how we treat them or have treated them in the past.

I only need to give you one present day example: Cuba.
Anti-American? What about Cuba? You mean the place Castro and his commies overthrew then pointed Soviet missiles at us almost setting off war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I forgot to mention on the topic of dictatorships, you can add the Philippines to that list with Ferdinand Marcos. He was propped up by the US and given refuge by Reagan when the SHTF. Just remember, if you're a dictator and you want to hunt people for sport in your country without consequences, kneel and pledge your allegiance to the almighty USA and no one speaks evil of you.

The only difference between good and bad dictators are who they pledge allegiance to.
The Marcoess, Duarte, and the Aquinos all play by essentially the same rules. The Philippines is awash in people, (population recently exceeded 100 million) due more to its strong tradition of connubiality, abetted by a strong Catholic presence. As in all Third World nations with a limited infrastructure, those who control assets like the public utilities don't want any competition -- they just want their own, and their cronies in control of things. There is little sense of national unity when compared to the nation-states of Europe and North America.

In a situation such as this, particularly when the climate is tropical and the basic cost of living small when compared to industrialized societies in temperate climates, the more-foresighted among the population respond by exporting their skills and willingness to work -- for their sons and daughters as well as themselves. This works particularly well with nations seeking immigrants; Canada seems to head the list, in no small part because it assumes most of the responsibility for vetting and policing the applicants; and those who play the game by the rules also qualify for basic social insurance as part of the program.

It works because both parties have something to gain, and only those unable or unwilling to participate, and in the long run, the manipulative few at the top of the anthill back in Manila, will be the ultimate losers.

And make no mistake about it: A substantial portion of the "progressive" element which hijacked the Democratic Party would have no problem with playing by, and imposing "Manila rules" here.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 03:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Just more Yellow Peril BS and how only white people have good intentions and can save the world classic Messiah complex

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whit...rative_in_film
I don't want to save the world. I want other people to go away and stay away.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
You actually think the united states treated them any differently?
Well, yes. Now that you mention it. That really wasn't what is was saying, but since you bring it up. You think the Chinese are going to allow the immigration from the PI the US did, and does? Lol, not hardly. However, that's not the point. The point behind this shift to China, is that Duarte sees himself getting very rich, and being a real world player. The latter ain't gonna happen, but he will get rich. And stay in power for life. The people will benefit but little.

Thus is the way of things. Do you think the PI was better off under Japanese occupation? Well, China doesn't see the PI any differently. So, all in all, I think the Filipinos, as a people, do rather miss the former US presence. They lost a lot when we left.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
You actually think the United States treated them any differently?
Actually, they did.

Once the Moro insurrection had been put down, American volunteers, usually younger people with an educational background and interests, set up schools to teach English, as well as basic skills for advancement in a developing nation, to the local population -- a forerunner, of sorts, of the Peace Corps; they are remembered and honored, in some quarters, to this day.

The cynics like yourself can point your fingers and whine as much as you like, but the replacement of sixteen languages by one. be it English, Spanish, or the predominant Tagalog, was an essential first-step in nation-building. The typical Filipino immigrant is conversant in English, Tagalog, and probably another Philippine dialect (and if they wind up in a place like Montreal, where "those I belong to" live, you can add French to that list.

No one pays much attention to the "foot soldiers" in this process who go to work every day, (and perhaps "sailors" would be a better analogy; Filipinos provide the world with the largest single component of merchant seafarers) but this people, with very little "help" from Big Brother. have assembled one hell of a "tool box", and many of them are going to have a remarkable story to tell.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, yes. Now that you mention it. That really wasn't what is was saying, but since you bring it up. You think the Chinese are going to allow the immigration from the PI the US did, and does? Lol, not hardly. However, that's not the point. The point behind this shift to China, is that Duarte sees himself getting very rich, and being a real world player. The latter ain't gonna happen, but he will get rich. And stay in power for life. The people will benefit but little.

Thus is the way of things. Do you think the PI was better off under Japanese occupation? Well, China doesn't see the PI any differently. So, all in all, I think the Filipinos, as a people, do rather miss the former US presence. They lost a lot when we left.
How do you know how the Chinese are going to operate? Do you have a crystal ball? As the record stands right now, China is doing more for developing nations in the past 10 years than Western nations have the past 200+ years. Being bitter and "butthurt" about a developing nation embracing another power reeks of colonial mentality where the former colonies wanted independence and the empires said fine, you can have your independence, but we're taking everything with us, and left their former colonies in shambles, worse than pre-colonial times. Adding insult to injury, the former colonial powers installed dictators friendly to the former power so the former power retains control over their former colony, and so neo-colonialism was born. When a dictator goes off the reservation, it's time to crank up the media propaganda war machine to "liberate" the country from the big bad dictator. No government in the world is going to be generous out of their kind hearts for foreign people, only convenient interests.

Most of China's neighbors are quite poor and in need of money and infrastructure. What difference does it make if China has an agenda? We don't? Of course we do, and helping poor, destitute people around the world isn't one of them. There are ALWAYS strings attached.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
How do you know how the Chinese are going to operate? Do you have a crystal ball? As the record stands right now, China is doing more for developing nations in the past 10 years than Western nations have the past 200+ years. Being bitter and "butthurt" about a developing nation embracing another power reeks of colonial mentality where the former colonies wanted independence and the empires said fine, you can have your independence, but we're taking everything with us, and left their former colonies in shambles, worse than pre-colonial times. Adding insult to injury, the former colonial powers installed dictators friendly to the former power so the former power retains control over their former colony, and so neo-colonialism was born. When a dictator goes off the reservation, it's time to crank up the media propaganda war machine to "liberate" the country from the big bad dictator. No government in the world is going to be generous out of their kind hearts for foreign people, only convenient interests.

Most of China's neighbors are quite poor and in need of money and infrastructure. What difference does it make if China has an agenda? We don't? Of course we do, and helping poor, destitute people around the world isn't one of them. There are ALWAYS strings attached.
Duterte is that you? You and desertdetroiter are so completely full of it with your anti-US, pro communist, pro China posts I don't have near enough time to even to respond to it all. The US helps lots of countries without an agenda. We gave to the Philippines back when it got hit with Yolanda. The comments about Latin America make no sense at all it's not an analogy that works. Also this is 2016, not 1945.

Stop trying to compare the US to China. We're nothing alike and the US has 100 times better motives, ethics, values, when we deal with other countries and that's why most of the world likes the US better than China.

The US needs money put into its own infrastructure even. I already said in another thread I think the US could do a little more for the Philippines and I'm sick of how much money we waste in the Middle East and some other places.

I'm pretty sure the people in Haiti were very appreciative of the aid they don't need you to speak for them thanks.

Duterte and the whole pathetic, puny, anti-US fringe movement is a mental midget moron maneuver based on a dream that if China thinks the Philippines doesn't like the US...somehow China is going to shower them with gifts and make all of their dreams come true. Pure stupidity.

If the world would let them China would invade the Philippines, rape all of the women with their military, since China doesn't have enough women for it's men.... and steal every ounce of natural resources they could. China is a country with no values or ethics.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-23-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
U.S. companies invest more then 17.6 billion dollars to the Philippine economy. The US was expected to give 66 million per year for the US based military. 2.6 million Filipinos mostly foreign born live in the U.S. Illegal immigration, though small, continues to increase. Obviously life is better here than over there. Perhaps Duterte should keep his mouth shut and focus on raising the poorest of the poor out of poverty.
It's more than 2.6 it's heading towards 4 million I believe. Why? Because anyone with a brain in the Philippines knows the US is better than China. From what I understand a huge percent of the population has ties to someone in the US at some level...it's almost approaching the level of Mexico. Duterte and his commie supporters can't pull off their anti-US nonsense without lying and trying to spread hate because he's messing with peoples friends and families.

China has a vested interest in the Philippines not wanting to deal with the US and not liking the US because China is the bully on the block that no one wants to play with. The less friends the Philippines has, the more China likes it.

Guys like desertdetroiter and unbrainwashed are perfect examples of this. They can't stand it that the people of the Philippines and the US get along so well. They want to break up decades of relationship building.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-23-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 05:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's more than 2.6 it's heading towards 4 million I believe. Why? Because anyone with a brain in the Philippines knows the US is better than China. From what I understand a huge percent of the population has ties to someone in the US at some level...it's almost approaching the level of Mexico. Duterte and his commie supporters can't pull off their anti-US nonsense without lying and trying to spread hate because he's messing with peoples friends and families.

China has a vested interest in the Philippines not wanting to deal with the US and not liking the US because China is the bully on the block that no one wants to play with. The less friends the Philippines has, the more China likes it.

Guys like desertdetroiter and unbrainwashed are perfect examples of this. They can't stand it that the people of the Philippines and the US get along so well. They want to break up decades of relationship building.
The people of the Philippines are two-faced and disloyal as evidenced by their president's sucking up to China. They are money hungry takers and have given zero in return. The severed ties is not a loss for the US and we should make it more difficult for Filipinos to immigrate to the US; let them go to China instead.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Duterte is that you? You and desertdetroiter are so completely full of it with your anti-US, pro communist, pro China posts I don't have near enough time to even to respond to it all. The US helps lots of countries without an agenda. We gave to the Philippines back when it got hit with Yolanda. The comments about Latin America make no sense at all it's not an analogy that works. Also this is 2016, not 1945.

The US needs money put into its own infrastructure even. I already said in another thread I think the US could do a little more for the Philippines and I'm sick of how much money we waste in the Middle East and some other places.

I'm pretty sure the people in Haiti were very appreciative of the aid they don't need you to speak for them thanks.

Duterte and the whole pathetic, puny, anti-US fringe movement is a mental midget moron maneuver based on a dream that if China thinks the Philippines doesn't like the US...somehow China is going to shower them with gifts and make all of their dreams come true. Pure stupidity.

China would invade the Philippines, rape all of their women with their military, since China doesn't have enough women for it's men.... and steal every ounce of natural resources they could if the world let them.
My comments are relevant, since vast majority of Latin American dictatorships arise in the 1970s into the 1980s not 1945

The US could do a lot more, except the US still operates on a colonial resource extraction mentality than anything else.

I'm sure they were too, but the fact is Haiti is STILL destitute and poor BECAUSE of us. Haiti is one gigantic welfare recipient.

Um, yeah, nobody believes that at all. It's only in your mind that one country or another is going to shower another country with gifts and the like. Show me evidence this has EVER happened in history, and tributary states don't count.

Careful, your thinly disguised racially tinged misandry is showing. Why do you hate Chinese males so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies