Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:13 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, I wasn't precise. Demanding to see I.D. in many cases is not a request that one has to lawfully comply to.

“The citizen who has given no good cause for believing he is engaged in [criminal] activity is entitled to proceed on his way without interference” (Page 338 U. S. 177)

Brinegar v. United States – 338 U.S. 160
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-5554.ZO.html

Not exactly

A detention just becomes an arrest or substantial detention where you aren't free to leave

You are required to id yourself if you have committed a crime..or are suspected of committing a crime

A mere fishing expedition ..no.. I can't just stop you absent any other reason and demand your I'd... but see my friend life rarely works that way...if you drew my attention to you I will have probable cause to detain you..that's how real life works..not internet lawyer advice

I never fish

Fish are friends not food

But hey. Try it and report back

Kudos to some very astute people in this thread... Some of you I repped and city data won't allow me to rep you again

People get it

Agendas dont

Old 10-21-2016, 06:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-5554.ZO.html

Not exactly

A detention just becomes an arrest or substantial detention where you aren't free to leave

You are required to id yourself if you have committed a crime..or are suspected of committing a crime
Yes exactly. You didn't dispute anything I said.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:06 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
DISTRAUGHT PEOPLE, DEADLY RESULTS

Officers often lack the training to approach the mentally unstable, experts say

More than half the killings involved police agencies that have not provided their officers with state-of-the-art training to deal with the mentally ill. And in many cases, officers responded with tactics that quickly made a volatile situation even more dangerous.

Police shootings: Distraught people, deadly results | The Washington Post

“This a national crisis,” said Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, an independent research organization devoted to improving policing. “We have to get American police to rethink how they handle encounters with the mentally ill. Training has to change.”

More than training has to change.

In January, for instance, Jonathan Guillory, a white 32-year-old father of two who had worked as a military contractor in Afghanistan, was having what his widow called a mental health emergency. He sought help at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Arizona, his wife, Maria Garcia, told local reporters, but the busy hospital turned him away. Jean Schaefer, a spokeswoman for the Veterans Health Administration in Phoenix, said the hospital had no record of Guillory’s visit. [/i]
Idiotic. The violently mentally ill belong in secure institutions, not free in public. Ever since liberals have demanded that the mentally ill be released on the general public in the 60s we have had this issue. The police have a responsibility to the safety and security of the general public, INCLUDING to protect them from the violently mentally ill. Police MUST do what they can to protect the public and themselves. They can't spend their entire careers babysitting the mentally ill. If a nutjob pulls a weapon on them and assumes ambient temperature as a result-so be it.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't precise. Demanding to see I.D. in many cases is not a request that one has to lawfully comply to.

“The citizen who has given no good cause for believing he is engaged in [criminal] activity is entitled to proceed on his way without interference” (Page 338 U. S. 177)

Brinegar v. United States – 338 U.S. 160

Right, so asking for ID is not unlawful.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Idiotic. The violently mentally ill belong in secure institutions, not free in public.
Maybe so.

Quote:
Ever since liberals have demanded that the mentally ill be released on the general public in the 60s we have had this issue. The police have a responsibility to the safety and security of the general public, INCLUDING to protect them from the violently mentally ill. Police MUST do what they can to protect the public and themselves. They can't spend their entire careers babysitting the mentally ill. If a nutjob pulls a weapon on them and assumes ambient temperature as a result-so be it.
Sounds like how it is in third world countries.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:30 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Maybe so.

Sounds like how it is in third world countries.
Actually no it isnt

We have 5150 WIC.. and that is being expanded to community paramedics who can commit,,,tsking the task away form a patrol officer.. and if they arent violent this is a good step

Police in third world countries are unrestrained in what they can do up to including murder on a regular basis.. there is no law that protects your rights.. you get stopped you answer their questions you pay them some money.. maybe you get beaten and robbed..maybe you get killed

If your mentally ill you are abandoned and victimized.. there is no patient bills of rights.. no hippa.. no mandatory reporters.. no soft green rooms no jello no food no treatment

There is no review process at the end of an ak47

Ive been on the third world on many occasions... we still arent that way..

Vote for Hillary and maybe we will head down that path sooner than later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies