Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 03:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
They were trying to clear the bridge of burned out vehicles that DAPL set on fire to block traffic. All of the violence was initiated by the police, not the protesters.
BS. Protesters are setting vehicles on fire. In fact it's getting so out of control that the Standing Rock tribal council voted and agreed that they want the Red Warior camp to leave.

Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council votes unanimously to ask Red Warrior Camp to leave

Another protester has realized that this isn't what the msm is saying it is...

DAPL protester says things aren't what they seem at the protest camps

There are those who are purposely inviting police and trying to get arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,920 times
Just shameful. Have the police learned nothing from hosing protesters going back to the 60's? This land was taken from the Native America at the barrel of a gun and now they can't even protect their reservation water and burial grounds.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Just shameful. Have the police learned nothing from hosing protesters going back to the 60's? This land was taken from the Native America at the barrel of a gun and now they can't even protect their reservation water and burial grounds.
There are no burial grounds and the federal government funded a project moving their water source to South Dakota which will be completed by the end of the year.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. Flanges? Again, the only flanges I've ever seen on ductile were mechanical, the stuff is made to press together with a friction seal, with valves and any other appurtenences bolted up with mech joints, which use rubber or other composite glands to make a swage seal. Not something any fitter I have ever known would use for petroleum or chemicals. Plus the stuff is awkward , heavy and just a ***** to work with.

I'm calling BS.

This pipe in downhill welded.... and if I remember correctly some sections of DAPL that I saw were 625 wall. Now this wall strength can and does change depending on terrain and obstacles... as well as every last inch is covered in a coating after each and every weld is x-ray'd and passes inspection. (Hubby's workers are coating pipe today in concrete.. different location not ND thankfully.) Is that to say that they never leak... absolutely I'm not saying that... But the ones you hear of leaking are usually old lines well past their life expectancy, but we're seeing here a prime example of why we are not allowed to take up and replace them at a pace that would keep up. The line that leaked last month in Alabama was put in service in 1964 running pure refined gasoline. Just another part of our failing infrastructure. And we saw what one line going out of service did to the whole southeast for three weeks. Astronomical price increases, shortages, and downright panic.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's going under their water supply.
Wrong

Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,888,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I was born here...
Ive never immigrated anywhere

oh but my ancestors immigrated here so hence I am an immigrant??
maybe if you trace my ancestory back far enough, you might find cave men or Neanderthals or some sub human species...perhaps bacteria that was on this continent...hence you don't know for sure I am an immigrant...how far back do you liberal "were all immigrants" touters want to take it

lets go back far enough, when all the land on the earth was one super continent, before tutonic shifts broke it up into the continents we have today...hence NONE of us are immigrants...sigh
Many Americans have much British isles ancestry. Their ancestors were subjects of the crown and never immigrants and were here before the US. Or they were pioneers of various NW European and other European ancestry who share much culture and kinship and earned their place. That's not to say an American has to be a certain ancestry, but there is not an equivalence between past immigration and immigration today.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-22-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 03:33 PM

78,502 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Any hearts and minds the anti-pipe people are trying to win are rapidly turning the other way as we read through the thread and lie after lie about the pipeline, water, amputated arms, peaceful protest and so forth unravel.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:36 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,689,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's certainly what the mouth breathing morons who designed the pipeline thought. Where is the containment liner in the trench? Where are the leak sensors? Why did they think they could get away with using ductile iron pipe which erodes easily and springs leaks?

Oil companies are sucking vast fortunes out of the Bakken, but want to build the cheapest, shoddiest pipeline possible.
It's not a possibility that the pipeline will leak, it's a certainty. They need to redesign the whole mess and bring it up to a reasonable safety standard. Every service station in America dug up its tanks to install leak containment and sensors. The oil companies can do the same with their pipelines.
Source?

My hub has worked for oil companies his whole life, including high level Environmental & Safety positions. His current company is not affiliated with the ND pipeline, but he has a pretty good understanding of what's going on there. He tells a completely different version of the story than you do.

If nothing else, the $20 BILLION settlement that BP paid out after Deepwater Horizon put the fear of God into every oil company who ever entertained the thought of cutting corners.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:48 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Source?

My hub has worked for oil companies his whole life, including high level Environmental & Safety positions. His current company is not affiliated with the ND pipeline, but he has a pretty good understanding of what's going on there. He tells a completely different version of the story than you do.

If nothing else, the $20 BILLION settlement that BP paid out after Deepwater Horizon put the fear of God into every oil company who ever entertained the thought of cutting corners.

There you go! And anyone who has ever worked pipeline knows the truth about the rules, regulations, governmental permitting (federal, state and local) and the oversight. They don't realize that there are tons of different people that have input and responsibilities for one of these things. The gas company just doesn't say "We're putting in a line, now do it." It takes years and includes 1000's of people from the gas company, the engineering firms, law firms, third-party inspection firms, the contractors (in this case union contractors so the unions were involved), survey, x-ray, real estate people, archeological firms, governmental agencies too numerous to mention, and yes even environmental firms. This isn't a big old we're going to ********* from the oil/gas companies. They couldn't do it even if they wanted to........

Old 11-22-2016, 03:53 PM

30,280 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
http://static2.businessinsider.com/i...00/rtssksf.jpg

Police spray North Dakota Access Pipeline protesters with water cannon - Business InsiderAfter months of protest against the proposed North Dakota Access Pipeline, the clash between police and activists heated up Sunday night as temperatures cooled to dangerous levels.
Protesters, many of whom are from the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, have been demonstrating against the oil pipeline that would pass through North Dakota's Lake Oahe, a sacred burial site and major source of drinking water for the Standing Rock Sioux.

Really??
Why are they touching a sacred burial site? I thought that those were off limits?

And I agree that using a water hose on them in frigid temperatures is unacceptable use of force. Surely they have other ways to disperse people.

Like we haven't screwed the NDNs enough? Just fricken go around the damn lake, ffs.

Edit: I just went through all of those links, and the photos disgust me beyond belief. There's something grotesque about militarized police attacking NDNs. GD that pisses me off. Leave them the F alone, reroute the stupid pipeline. Who cares if it costs more, enough of this crap with f-en with the NDNs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies