Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Why not just answer the question with a yes? I would say if she's leading this March her core beliefs are relevant. Why the need to hide it and not answer the question. Could it be that it doesn't make her or what shes trying to do look good?
I have no idea, because it's not why people marched. Take your gotcha questions elsewhere.

I find it odd you're just bringing this up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have no idea, because it's not why people marched. Take your gotcha questions elsewhere.

If you ask 20 different people why they marched you get 20 different answers. It's a disorganized mess that makes women look like stupid pigs that leave a mess behind when they're done.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, that's how I feel. What is the point of ignoring all those regular women, some of whom these posters surely know--I do--and focusing on the ones who acted more distastefully? I'm not a Madonna fan, although I have enjoyed a few of her songs, but I've never loved her. I am exactly 15 days older than she is, and I know that when she coughs hard, she pees in her pants.

But Madonna has always made a noise by trying to be outrageous and say shocking things. That's her whole schtick. So we're going to swoon and need smelling salts because she acted like herself at a public event?

That's not who I paid attention to. I loved the young guy who said he was walking for his mother and sister and aunt. I love my friends who marched in DC and actually WORK in the federal government who know better than we do what things are like inside those walls. I love the gay woman in my theological study group who was raised pagan and converted to Christianity who marched in Asbury Park, because she represents the fact that you can't just stick women in a box and say THIS is what a woman should be.
Agreed. I find it difficult to comprehend that some people on this thread, many of whom do really good things in the community themselves, want hold themselves apart from other people who are just like them and have as many different reasons for wanting their voices heard.

I don't really get it, it's like some reverse superiority complex.

And lol re Madonna and her likely bladder control issues. The old girl has life in her yet.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If you ask 20 different people why they marched you get 20 different answers. It's a disorganized mess that makes women look like stupid pigs that leave a mess behind when they're done.
Well, at least you bothered to ask.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
I said the very same earlier on, that most people marching dont even know why or dont care, they just want in amongst the melee to say they were there on that day, saying that the wool industry got a turn with those embarrasing hats.. maybe they ll burn them in a large bonfire at the end to protest about some other thing they think up, and Trump effigys.. hes become the biggest whipping boy in history, the cause of all their maladies.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:

There's a Muslim woman, Linda Sarsour, an activist who was one of the organizers of the March, not THE organizer, although the right-wing websites are scrambling to try to make it look that way (you know what the game is when they all say exactly the same thing, the same wording, lol). She grew up in Brooklyn of Palestinian parents but went to an almost-all-black high school, and when the BLM protests started, she got involved.

Our friend Boots here is trying to imply that by being part of the march, you embrace Linda Sarsour's religion--oh and it's by default GOT to be the version of Islam that wants to cut off heads and whatnot, of course--and other views. I wish I could stretch like that, coulda been a gymnast.

Other than the interview with her about BLM and the manufactured RW websites, there's not much about her out there.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I find it difficult to comprehend that some people on this thread, many of whom do really good things in the community themselves, want hold themselves apart from other people who are just like them and have as many different reasons for wanting their voices heard.

I don't really get it, it's like some reverse superiority complex.

And lol re Madonna and her likely bladder control issues. The old girl has life in her yet.
Hahahaha, as do I!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I said the very same earlier on, that most people marching dont even know why or dont care, they just want in amongst the melee to say they were there on that day, saying that the wool industry got a turn with those embarrasing hats.. maybe they ll burn them in a large bonfire at the end to protest about some other thing they think up, and Trump effigys.. hes become the biggest whipping boy in history, the cause of all their maladies.
Oh, Dizzy. I thought our discussion the other day had helped us find common ground. You continue to disappoint me.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Without being present, it would be difficult for you to characterize the marchers. Here's who I am:

* An educated woman with two degrees
* A happily-married wife of thirty years
* A volunteer for a variety of causes: education, food relief, & civic organizations mostly
* An unaffiliated voter in a conservative district
* Not particularly political in my day-to-day life, but a conscientious and consistent voter
* Both a SAHM and a working mom at different points in my life
* A suburban homeowner
* A former military dependent from a family with a long history of service
* Not someone who wears silly hats or carries signs (and I still don't)

I have never been to a rally or protest in my life, but as I have watched this administration come together and listened to our now president's own words, I've realized that he is worse than I even imagined. A year ago, I was confident that this country would recognize that Donald Trump was a thoroughly repugnant human being and, more importantly, supremely unqualified to lead our nation. I was wrong! Tragically wrong.

Once the wheels were set in motion, I embraced the Women's March as a rally against political apathy, a launching pad for fighting complacency, and an opportunity to be inspired and to inspire others to shape the future through political engagement. Similar to the Tea Party movement that immediately followed Barack Obama's inauguration, the Women's March was an outpouring of pent-up frustration. Some of it, like Madonna's speech, wasn't particularly pretty, but that alone cannot undermine the gathering storm of resistance that unapologetically demands better from our politicians.

When I came home on Saturday afternoon, I was walking on air. I felt empowered, because I realized that my voice does matter, and I am not alone. I understood how important it is to write letters to my Congressmen (I started today with a letter to my Senators about Betsy DeVos, who I think will be a disaster as SecEd), show up for the candidates I believe in, advocate for change in the state house, and talk to my friends, family and neighbors about supporting better candidates . Who knows? Maybe the day will come when I'll run myself for public office.

In summary, I am a woman who showed up on Saturday morning, and I refuse to be dismissed.
Great post, randomparent, thank you for sharing this and for all this food for thought.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a Muslim woman, Linda Sarsour, an activist who was one of the organizers of the March, not THE organizer, although the right-wing websites are scrambling to try to make it look that way (you know what the game is when they all say exactly the same thing, the same wording, lol). She grew up in Brooklyn of Palestinian parents but went to an almost-all-black high school, and when the BLM protests started, she got involved.

Our friend Boots here is trying to imply that by being part of the march, you embrace Linda Sarsour's religion--oh and it's by default GOT to be the version of Islam that wants to cut off heads and whatnot, of course--and other views. I wish I could stretch like that, coulda been a gymnast.

Other than the interview with her about BLM and the manufactured RW websites, there's not much about her out there.
Ah, cheers. I figured it was some kind of evil plot.

I think this whole thing's backlash can be filed under the "no good deeds go unpunished" banner.

It's a shame. I think it's great when we get involved in our own destiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies