Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahaha love it
LOL a couple of years ago, my husband and I were talking in the front seat of the (gasp) GAS GUZZLING PICK UP TRUCK and one of us mentioned Madonna in passing. My step son and his best friend were in the back seat and one of them piped up and said, "Madonna - is she still alive?"

He was totally serious. We said, "Well, sort of. In a Madonna-like fashion."

So the other day when we were watching the news and saw her in her ridiculous clothes (and black ***** hat) screaming profanities - to thunderous applause by the crowd I might add - my husband turned to me and said, "My gosh - she IS still alive!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dizzy - you're a woman. You're allowed in both our countries to say exactly what you feel and believe. My gosh, if other women can scream F you and rant about bombing the White House and wear ***** hats, you can surely voice your opinion on this forum.

Carry on. And just for the record, I prefer your style over Madonna's any day.
As a guy, I agree with this post. I like that you have your own voice and don't let the collective speak for you. Refreshing to see.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL a couple of years ago, my husband and I were talking in the front seat of the (gasp) GAS GUZZLING PICK UP TRUCK and one of us mentioned Madonna in passing. My step son and his best friend were in the back seat and one of them piped up and said, "Madonna - is she still alive?"

He was totally serious. We said, "Well, sort of. In a Madonna-like fashion."
oh jeez.... no wonder,

Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
It is really hard to remember which lame protest is which.
Right, blame them all, it doesn't matter does it? As long as you can demonize others, guilty or not.

You should have been arrested for shooting those poor kids at Kent State. You weren't even there? What difference does that make?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:40 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Without being present, it would be difficult for you to characterize the marchers. Here's who I am:

* An educated woman with two degrees
* A happily-married wife of thirty years
* A volunteer for a variety of causes: education, food relief, & civic organizations mostly
* An unaffiliated voter in a conservative district
* Not particularly political in my day-to-day life, but a conscientious and consistent voter
* Both a SAHM and a working mom at different points in my life
* A suburban homeowner
* A former military dependent from a family with a long history of service
* Not someone who wears silly hats or carries signs (and I still don't)

I have never been to a rally or protest in my life, but as I have watched this administration come together and listened to our now president's own words, I've realized that he is worse than I even imagined. A year ago, I was confident that this country would recognize that Donald Trump was a thoroughly repugnant human being and, more importantly, supremely unqualified to lead our nation. I was wrong! Tragically wrong.

Once the wheels were set in motion, I embraced the Women's March as a rally against political apathy, a launching pad for fighting complacency, and an opportunity to be inspired and to inspire others to shape the future through political engagement. Similar to the Tea Party movement that immediately followed Barack Obama's inauguration, the Women's March was an outpouring of pent-up frustration. Some of it, like Madonna's speech, wasn't particularly pretty, but that alone cannot undermine the gathering storm of resistance that unapologetically demands better from our politicians.

When I came home on Saturday afternoon, I was walking on air. I felt empowered, because I realized that my voice does matter, and I am not alone. I understood how important it is to write letters to my Congressmen (I started today with a letter to my Senators about Betsy DeVos, who I think will be a disaster as SecEd), show up for the candidates I believe in, advocate for change in the state house, and talk to my friends, family and neighbors about supporting better candidates . Who knows? Maybe the day will come when I'll run myself for public office.

In summary, I am a woman who showed up on Saturday morning, and I refuse to be dismissed.
Sorry to state the obvious, but you already have been dismissed. The temper tantrum march changed nothing, but did in fact earn criticism for being both sexist and bigoted:

Women's March 'Dangerous Space' With 'Oppressive Message'

White Women Marched For Themselves At Women's March On Washington | Essence.com

Enjoy your new (?) status as a sexist and bigot.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:40 PM

16,096 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The men and women who marched were secure enough in themselves to speak out on issues that are important to them. They didn't march in order to appreciate their lives and opportunities. They marched to ensure that the opportunities for their children will be even greater. They didn't need Madonna to speak for them, they allowed Madonna to speak. The marches across our country were a demonstration of power.

And the people who are criticizing them, who are trying to belittle those who marched, seem to be threatened by that power.
With few exceptions, none of the speakers and marchers spoke or appeared anonymously...unlike the pansy-a$$ed and privileged whiners on this thread.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
No one "appeared anonymously"?

LOL.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
No one "appeared anonymously"?

LOL.
Right - if they'd been asked to "appear anonymously" I doubt seriously that they would have done so.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
With few exceptions, none of the speakers and marchers spoke or appeared anonymously...unlike the pansy-a$$ed and privileged whiners on this thread.
Pansy arsed you say.... well Id rather be a pansy as a pussyhat... oh I feel a song coming on..oh I love it, youve really made me laugh... pansy arsed, I must keep that one..The speakers being anonymous, are you joking, they must have broke their necks getting in there first to grab a platform.. no shrinking violets amongst them...

Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry to state the obvious, but you already have been dismissed. The temper tantrum march changed nothing, but did in fact earn criticism for being both sexist and bigoted:

Women's March 'Dangerous Space' With 'Oppressive Message'

White Women Marched For Themselves At Women's March On Washington | Essence.com

Enjoy your new (?) status as a sexist and bigot.

Wait, I thought you were saving children? No, you're still ranting and raving about a march that happened three days ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies