Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:08 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times

Advertisements

Politics. The art of the possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
She should serve every day of that sentence before being deported.
The OP title is wrong, of course: Texas Woman convicted of voter fraud. She is not, & never has been a Texas woman. She had a US green card, & was thereby a permanent resident in the US. However, she was still a Mexican citizen, & thus could not vote in US elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 06:33 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How did she have a Green Card before she married her husband? At her trial, a witness for the prosecution testified that Ortega confirmed she was not a citizen but said she would be "marrying her husband" in the near future. Did she lie about being married to get a green card prior to her actual marriage?

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/A2en.pdf

We're not getting the whole story.
The article wasn't clear other than she was a legal resident, came here as a child, she could join the military, own a home, pay taxes, get a job but not vote. Sounds like a Green Card Holder.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Everyone that votes does so in hopes of steering the election to their candidates.

I would add that someone who came to the US as a young child and somehow only has a 6th grade education is not exactly the kind of immigrant we need.
If you read through that article it certainly seems that she just wanted to vote, particularly since she voted republican and the DA that is prosecuting her. The DA that is prosecuting her wanted to make a name for herself and make an example, this sentence rivals some very serious crimes. I wouldn't want to pay to have her incarcerated for 8 years and destroy her life, maybe community service but that sentence is absurd.

By the way she voted Republican and she was Mexican.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The article wasn't clear other than she was a legal resident, came here as a child, she could join the military, own a home, pay taxes, get a job but not vote. Sounds like a Green Card Holder.
Had to go back to when she was arrested (Nov. 2015), but now the prosecution witness's testimony that she said she "would be marrying her husband in the near future" makes sense. Ortega was neither married to a US citizen nor a legal resident of the US at the time she voted illegally, she was still an illegal alien.

No wonder the sentence was so harsh. Deport her.

Quote:
"Ortega, who has been identified as a legal resident of Mexico, allegedly voted in person during the November 2012 general election and the May 2014 Republican primary runoff in Dallas County “when she knew she was not a United States citizen,†according to a Tarrant County grand jury indictment and other records."
North Texas woman arrested for voter fraud | The Star-Telegram

Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Had to go back to when she was arrested (Nov. 2015), but now the prosecution witness's testimony that she said she "would be marrying her husband in the near future" makes sense. Ortega was neither married to a US citizen nor a legal resident of the US at the time she voted illegally, she was still an illegal alien.

No wonder the sentence was so harsh. Deport her.

North Texas woman arrested for voter fraud | The Star-Telegram
I'm not arguing that what she did was illegal just the severity of the sentence for a very bad mistake, seems they wanted to make an example of her but considering the circumstances this was excessive.

Here's a man that killed an infant, also 8 years.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...s-10051571.php

Last edited by Goodnight; 02-12-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 07:06 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Here's a man that killed an infant, also 8 years.
Newton man gets 8 years in prison for infant's death - Beaumont Enterprise
One could also argue America has enough of our own criminals. We don't need to import them.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Sixth grade education. Not a citizen. No mention in any article I can find of a job. Not married. Four kids.

Can someone find anything on her work history? I can't find a thing.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:
If you read through that article it certainly seems that she just wanted to vote, particularly since she voted republican and the DA that is prosecuting her. The DA that is prosecuting her wanted to make a name for herself and make an example, this sentence rivals some very serious crimes. I wouldn't want to pay to have her incarcerated for 8 years and destroy her life, maybe community service but that sentence is absurd.

By the way she voted Republican and she was Mexican.
I don't understand this "just wanted to vote" stuff. There is only one reason people vote. They want a particular candidate to win.

My guess is her sentence will ultimately be shortened and then she'll be deported. I'm OK with that. Meanwhile others seeing her 8 year sentence might think twice before voting.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Ms Ortega is a permanent resident, not a citizen and she clearly checked the boxes as a citizen. She has a 6th grade education and indicated she was confused by the form. A sentence of 8 years seems rather severe since it appears that she just wanted to vote, not some form of steering an election. The Texas Attorney General Paxton is trying to make a case for massive voter fraud but he was even willing to a plea deal that would result in probation, the Tarrant County DA Sharen Wilson refused as she wanted a public trial.

Even more interesting was the fact that she voted for Romney in 2012 and the Texas DA Paxton in 2014 and she was a registered republican.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/u...tion.html?_r=0
I find it interesting GOP is registering illegal aliens in Texas.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Can someone find anything on her work history? I can't find a thing.
I couldn't find any on you either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies