Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:18 PM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This article claims she was married to a US citizen.
She wasn't in 2015 when she was investigated for voter fraud. She told the officer she "was going to marry her husband in the near future." The officer testified to that at her trial.

Ortega was neither married to a US citizen nor was she a legal resident of the US at the time she voted illegally, she was still an illegal alien.

No wonder the sentence was so harsh. Deport her.

Quote:
"Ortega, who has been identified as a legal resident of Mexico, allegedly voted in person during the November 2012 general election and the May 2014 Republican primary runoff in Dallas County “when she knew she was not a United States citizen,” according to a Tarrant County grand jury indictment and other records."
North Texas woman arrested for voter fraud | The Star-Telegram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ms Ortega is a permanent resident, not a citizen and she clearly checked the boxes as a citizen. She has a 6th grade education and indicated she was confused by the form. A sentence of 8 years seems rather severe since it appears that she just wanted to vote, not some form of steering an election. The Texas Attorney General Paxton is trying to make a case for massive voter fraud but he was even willing to a plea deal that would result in probation, the Tarrant County DA Sharen Wilson refused as she wanted a public trial.

Even more interesting was the fact that she voted for Romney in 2012 and the Texas DA Paxton in 2014 and she was a registered republican.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/u...tion.html?_r=0
I mean she didn't even vote in this election, so if you're trying to use this as proof that Trump's claim is true, it's rather weak especially when it comes from NYT which Trump and his supporters have repeatedly called fake news or is it only fake when they report things that you all don't agree with?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I mean she didn't even vote in this election, so if you're trying to use this as proof that Trump's claim is true, it's rather weak especially when it comes from NYT which Trump and his supporters have repeatedly called fake news or is it only fake when they report things that you all don't agree with?
Trump claimed there was voter fraud even before the election and he appointed Pence to a commission more recently. Maybe you are unaware of Texas efforts to reduce so called fraud.

She voted in past elections, what does this election have to do with anything, there has been a focus on voter fraud in the last 8 years for some unknown reason. I guess we have to throw out all those Pulitzer prizes for reporting now that Trump claims they are a fake news organization, what papers do you read.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,507 times
Quote:
Trump claimed there was voter fraud even before the election and he appointed Pence to a commission more recently. Maybe you are unaware of Texas efforts to reduce so called fraud.

She voted in past elections, what does this election have to do with anything, there has been a focus on voter fraud in the last 8 years for some unknown reason. I guess we have to throw out all those Pulitzer prizes for reporting now that Trump claims they are a fake news organization, what papers do you read.
He only made the claim because he lost popular vote, showing 1 woman voted illegally for his party no less doesn't prove that 3-5 million poeple voted illegally against him in this election.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She wasn't in 2015 when she was investigated for voter fraud. She told the officer she "was going to marry her husband in the near future." The officer testified to that at her trial.

Ortega was neither married to a US citizen nor was she a legal resident of the US at the time she voted illegally, she was still an illegal alien.

Always a green card holder. Widely reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1f39a46b34fa

Last edited by lvmensch; 02-12-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

I remember a story of a woman who became a citizen and years later lost her citizenship due to voter fraud she had committed while being a legal resident and this woman run for office when the story unfolded.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:21 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Always a green card holder. Widely reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1f39a46b34fa
That seems to be misinformation. Testimony from the police investigation that came out during the trial contradicts that.

It may have been assumed she was a US resident because that's the justification she used for thinking she was eligible to vote when she turned in the voter registration forms. Similarly, she wasn't married to her husband in October 2015, despite already having 4 children. She told the police she would be "marrying her husband in the near future."

As an unmarried illegal alien who has been in the US since childhood, how would she qualify for a Green Card? She wouldn't.

There seems to be much more to this story than is being reported. She's an illegal alien who bore 4 children in the US. As a single mother she would qualify for much more in public assistance benefits for her children than if there were a husband in the picture. She seems to have been caught in a predicament where she thought that since she lived in the US and if she said she was going to be marrying her US citizen husband soon, it would be OK that she voted.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:

I agree with you, misunderstood your comments. There has been a large effort by Texas to address voter fraud up to this point and I do believe that this woman is being made an example.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's the whole point. You have absolutely no way to back up your claims, other than to say you have not seen any "articles" written about her career. It means nothing.

Unless you are the founder of Google or some other significant person, no one will ever write articles about you. How many articles have been written about you? I have had a pretty good career, but no one has written articles about me.

You admitted there are over 100 work related entries for that name in THAT AREA alone, and you dismiss them all without a shread of proof.

Let her pay the price for the voter thing, but I just wonder what motivates you to go to such extremes to invent these claims about her history.
LOL I actually looked at the Rosa Garcia profiles in Texas - none of them appear to be this particular Rosa Garcia.

You have proven NOTHING.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This article claims she was married to a US citizen.

Woman Jailed on Charge of Illegal Voting

This article quotes her as saying she worked all of her life.

Grand Prairie Woman Gets Eight Years for Illegally Voting in Dallas County Elections

However with only a 6th grade education I can only imagine the types of jobs she was able to work.

I don't agree with allowing immigrants into our country who are not qualified to work a high skilled job. Look at Australia's immigration policies...you can't get in without having a high skill to contribute.

When I meet an immigrant who has been in the US for 10 plus years and does not speak our language or is not working on a higher degree or skill set...it tells me they have nothing to contribute to our country nor do they have any interest in doing so.
OK - as I said, she's not married. I don't know if she's ever been married, but she's not married.

As for "working," - well, that's a broad term - and as you pointed out, with a sixth grade education and very poor English skills, I doubt she has ever qualified for many actual jobs.

I agree with your assessment of folks who have been in this country for years and don't speak English or are working in a high skilled job or training for one.

Legal immigration is not a RIGHT of just anyone - it is a privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies