Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I agree. The GOP had 7 years to draft, and perfect a plan. It should have been ready to present on day one of the new administration.

That being said, why in the past 10 years has health care become such a huge issue ? I'm 48 and growing up I don't remember my parents worrying about health care, if we needed something we went to the doctor or hospital. As a young adult starting the work force I never had to worry about it, my jobs always offered it, even one of my first jobs in fast food. Then later even as a contract designer , my contract house always offered it. And paying for it was never that much of a deal, such a small amount would be deducted from my pay. Only when I was laid off for a year in '07 did I worry. And even then we paid for office visits out of pocket. A surgery would have been a big deal though.
Now my wife and I pay out of pocket, neither of our work places offer it and it is costing us $700 a month.
What has changed so drastically from our parents times to now ?
Cost of services for one. Medical technology has not improved drastically enough to account for the massive increase in prices. As a matter of fact you don't even get to see a doctor half the time but an assistant. Services have declined, doctors are only allowed a certain amount of time wit each patient per the insurance company rules dictating to providers what they can do.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I agree. The GOP had 7 years to draft, and perfect a plan. It should have been ready to present on day one of the new administration.

That being said, why in the past 10 years has health care become such a huge issue ? I'm 48 and growing up I don't remember my parents worrying about health care, if we needed something we went to the doctor or hospital. As a young adult starting the work force I never had to worry about it, my jobs always offered it, even one of my first jobs in fast food. Then later even as a contract designer , my contract house always offered it. And paying for it was never that much of a deal, such a small amount would be deducted from my pay. Only when I was laid off for a year in '07 did I worry. And even then we paid for office visits out of pocket. A surgery would have been a big deal though.
Now my wife and I pay out of pocket, neither of our work places offer it and it is costing us $700 a month.
What has changed so drastically from our parents times to now ?
Several major things. The cost has drastically increased. We have better and more expensive medical technologies. We have Boomers retiring on Medicare.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
no part of health care should be for profit----that's is the problem with all of it-

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
This is it in a nutshell. We had the crazy, uncompromising progressive faction that has made inexpensive, efficient in heathcare insurance impossible. And this same type of progressive faction from the GOP will do the same thing the progressive left has done unless the Tea Party and other conservatives stop the total and complete destruction of the free market which lowers costs and increases efficiency. It's easy to see where the progressives go from here. Repeal it completely or get voted out of office.
These "free marketers" voted down the ability of people to buy less expensive drugs elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
doctors are only allowed a certain amount of time wit each patient per the insurance company rules
Not true. Employed docs might be required by their employer to see X numbers of patients in Y amount of time.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
no part of health care should be for profit----that's is the problem with all of it-
Then you lose access, service and/or convenience. As a doc I should not make a profit?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Then you lose access, service and/or convenience. As a doc I should not make a profit?
You should make a wage for your work.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
For a "so-called" business executive who claims to negotiate great deals, Trump is a failure. Trump is not doing his due diligence for any of his presidential responsibilities. Heard he will be golfing this weekend at Ma a Logo again.
Trump doesn't like to read or study. He calls his cronies all day from the Oval Office and takes their advice. He doesn't consult with knowledgeable experts, only friends, who probably don't know anymore than he does.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Let me just say this, this seems like a step closer to universal healthcare when this plan proves to be an economic disaster to most Americans due to the lack of a safety net provided through Obamacare.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
More government intervention. We know when they get involved costs go up and efficiency goes down. Progressive policies are known failures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Cost of services for one. Medical technology has not improved drastically enough to account for the massive increase in prices. As a matter of fact you don't even get to see a doctor half the time but an assistant. Services have declined, doctors are only allowed a certain amount of time wit each patient per the insurance company rules dictating to providers what they can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Several major things. The cost has drastically increased. We have better and more expensive medical technologies. We have Boomers retiring on Medicare.

Somewhere in all this lies the problem. Band aids like the ACA and whatever the GOP is proposing is not going to come up with a solution. Someone , either young people or older people are going to get left out. The root cause, whatever that may be needs to be addressed or all this will just be a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies