Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Nobody is "white." Hopefully genetic testing will free you all. lol

It's really more about culture and not color.

Latinos are set to be the new majority shortly, and this will change (get ready for it) our advertising. Ta Da!!

The only big change will be who companies advertise to so that they sell a bunch of crap. Woo hoo! Who cares, unless you're in advertising.

Whites can look forward to being pandered to for votes and getting special programs so that they feel equal. Have fun!
IMHO I don't agree.

Cause the Hispanic birthrate's crashing and, for "PC" reasons, a kid with 1 Hispanic parent and 1 anglo white parent's tagged as "Hispanic" even tho many of those kids DO look like a typical anglo. Look at Italian history here in the US and, that's what's gonna happen with Latinos. Many will go back home; both legal and well as illegal alien and, the Latinos staying here will just fade into "white" culture" in about 30 years.

Last edited by Packard fan; 03-12-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
1. To clear the air about this: .I dont know about the past and why this racial/ethnic minority group was created out of thin air. But it is common knowledge, that Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race, most are mixed race, but they are smaller numbers of Hispanics who are mostly or purely white, black, or native american, it largely depends on the country they come from, and the history and geography of that country. Spain is a common thread between Hispanics/Latinos, the white ancestry in Latin America mostly comes from Spain, in the Spanish Caribbean most of the ancestry is derived from Spain and West Africa, while most of the rest of Latin America is derived from Spain and Native American tribes. At this point, in the US Hispanic/Latino just means you are from or have ancestry from a Spanish speaking country in North or South America. Mexican Americans (who are over 60% of Hispanics in the US) are mostly Mestizo (mixed race native american and white). Hispanics from Central American countries like El Salvador and Guatemala, also tend to be mixed mestizo or straight up native american. Hispanics from the Caribbean islands of Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic tend to be Mulatto (mixed black and white), tho Dominicans tend to be slightly blacker than Ricans. Despite Cuba being a mostly mulatto nation like PR and DR, only the white Cubans had the money and permission to leave Communist Cuba and thats reflected in the emigrant community in the US. Also not all Hispanics are illegals wtf, about 60-70% of them are legal, many been here for generations and are just as American as most whites and blacks.

2. In regards to the original question, relations between blacks and "Hispanics". Well I think that depends mostly on which region of the country and which Hispanic group. For example: Blacks and Mexicans in Los Angeles historically dont get along at all, to the point where theres gang wars based on race, black gangs vs mexican gangs, even targeting non gang members of the opposite "race". While blacks and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans (the Caribbean Hispanics) in New York and the Northeast in general (NJ,PA, CT, Mass), get along great, to the point where their largely integrated and there is high amounts of "interracial" dating, intermingling, and babymaking between hispanic males and black females, and black males and hispanic females in this region. I dont know how Hispanic/black relations are in the rest of the country, like the south, midwest, and west outside cali. And it would be interesting to hear about how black/hispanic relations are in states like Florida, Texas, Georgia, NC, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Nevada. I'd imagine that the relations in most states are better than in California, but not as good as the Northeast states.
I'm in Arizona and, where I am, Bullhead City; the few Black women here are usually with light skin anglo white dudes with their mixed race kids. It's weird seeing a Black lady under about 35 years old with darker skin guys, regardless of their "race".

Old 03-12-2017, 08:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Fact. There was no "hispanic" group before the 1980s. The category did not exist. Nearly all were considered white before then, especially Mexicans.
The term Latino originated in Milwaukee, WI. It was soon picked up by Chicagoans and then overtime spread across the rest of the nation from Chicago. In Midwestern cities like Chicago and Milwaukee you had a mix of people from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic and so on. And so in that community in the Midwest came the term "Latino."

The term Hispanic is much older. The term was first adopted by Latin Americans in Latin America. That is my understanding anyways. The Spanish wanted maintain culturally connected to its former colonies in the Americas, and did not want them falling into seduction with the Anglo-Saxon world, namely the Brits and the USA.

So, the Spaniards in Spain impressed upon the people of its former American colonies that they were "Hispanics" (which I could be wrong but I think comes from "Espanola") like them and culturally connected to Spain and the Spanish people.

Incidentally, I don't know if it from the Moors but I have encountered a young woman from Southern Spain who was pretty swarthy. I mean dark enough I thought she was mestiza Mexican and in the culture of the United States no one would think she was white. Of course, few Spanish people are that dark, particularly in the North of the country. I only point it out because apparently you can occasionally come across white Spaniards that are so dark hued Americans would think they probably came out of Peru or Venezuela.

In terms of discrimination against Mexican-Americans and other Latinos, it was common place once upon a time. Bearing in mind the United States once had eugenics programs and subscribed to the view that Southern Europeans were inferior to Northern Europeans biologically. Due to the view of biological determinism. Mestizos and mulattos were held in even lower regard.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
The term Hispanic is much older. The term was first adopted by Latin Americans in Latin America. That is my understanding anyways. The Spanish wanted maintain culturally connected to its former colonies in the Americas, and did not want them falling into seduction with the Anglo-Saxon world, namely the Brits and the USA.
What?!

Grace Flores coined the term "hispanic" in 1972. (link) She brags about it today. The term was later adopted by the census in 1980 for the first time.

Before then nobody was ever called "hispanic", and nobody ever identified as "hispanic". The concept completely did not exist. They literally sat down and just made it up.

Its amazing how many people are not aware of this and are inventing an exotic historical origin 500 years ago. Nope, it was invented in 1972.

Before then most people of Spanish speaking origin had always been white. They were not minorities.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 PM

87 posts, read 78,522 times
Quote:
What?!

Grace Flores coined the term "hispanic" in 1972. (link) She brags about it today. The term was later adopted by the census in 1980 for the first time.

Before then nobody was ever called "hispanic", and nobody ever identified as "hispanic". The concept completely did not exist. They literally sat down and just made it up.

Its amazing how many people are not aware of this and are inventing an exotic historical origin 500 years ago. Nope, it was invented in 1972.

Before then most people of Spanish speaking origin had always been white. They were not minorities.
I'm not sure papi; it looks like there was some discrimination at least in some places:https://muse.jhu.edu/article/49469

Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
There are some light dominicans
Sure there are...such as Maria Montez. A white Dominican actress that was a Hollywood star in the 40s.

...and no, she was not a hispanic minority or "woman of color". She was a white latin actress.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Speak for yourself. That's the problem with 'hispanics.' Pride.
No, nothing wrong with pride. I have it and love it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Only the Hispanics who entered the country ILLEGALLY. This is not the same as nationalists Whites yelling to African-Americans "go back to Africa". Our ancestors did not enter the country illegally - they were illegally brought here. Apples and oranges.
Some people are taken over illegally by their family. Just like tribes in africa sold other africans into slavery. Neither has a choice on how they got there.

Quote:
No it isnt. Historically, it was not difficult to classify "hispanics". They were all white. They all identified as white.

Race relations and identity politics have dramatically changed indeed, especially in respect to how we perceive people of Spanish or Spanish-speaking origin today.

There was no "hispanic/latino" minority group in the past. The ridiculous concept that Spanish = minority/POC was politically fabricated in the 70s by liberal SJWs. Before then, Spanish meant Spanish and Latin meant Latin. Those were European labels. They were just a different kind of white people.

Bureacrats INVENTED a new minority group from whole cloth. They made Spanish descendants into a fake minority group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, Hispanic is not a race. The real problem is illegal aleins of which the great majority are Hispanic/Latino and this is harming citizens of all races and uniting them in an effort to make American citizens of all races the priority of our government.

The Democrats attempted to use "race" in the election to deflect from the real issues, divide and conquer, so this is really no longer relevant to the revival of our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hispanic is not a race!

But, yeah, every race will stick with their own and desire THEIR group to be on top.

That unity coalition between all the gorgeous people-of-color, unified to defeat evil Whitey.......LMFAO.

This multi-culti toiletpot will only develop more and more divisions.......racial-divisions at
the top.
Hispanic IS a race...i like how people who are not hispanic try to tell others what they think you are..the only opinions that matter are the ones that are of that race.

After all, the native americans get a box to check..they are not considered "white" neither are asians..so why should hispanics? Its because they want to divide and conquer..lets just split the white hispanics over there, the black ones over there..its all bs. It is our race.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post

Some people are taken over illegally by their family. Just like tribes in africa sold other africans into slavery. Neither has a choice on how they got there.

Hispanic IS a race...i like how people who are not hispanic try to tell others what they think you are..the only opinions that matter are the ones that are of that race.

After all, the native americans get a box to check..they are not considered "white" neither are asians..so why should hispanics? Its because they want to divide and conquer..lets just split the white hispanics over there, the black ones over there..its all bs. It is our race.
Uh; a blond hair blue eye lady of full Swedish family, born and raised in Chile is the "same race" as a Black Dominican along with a Mayan born and raised in Guatemala?

OTOH: a dude with the last name "Dominguez"; born and raised in England along with both of his parents ain't Latino even tho 1 parent's of Aztec blood and the other's of Spanish family? Going by your opinion: that dude's English.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:

Hispanic is not a race it's a culture including the Spanish language.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:32 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:

Ethnicity

the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
"the interrelationship between gender, ethnicity, and class"-
Culture
the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.
Race
People identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: A genealogical line; a lineage.

So there~~ the accepted norms: - some scientist do not believe in the whole race thing at all - we are of humans species- I agree with them.
From the DNA commercials and my brother, who took the test- we really are more mixed up than we think.

SOME FACTS:
Approximately 375 million people speak English It is the third most common primary language in the world, However, more than 437 million people speak Spanish as a native language, which qualifies it as second on the list, Mandarin is #1 The world's largest ethnic group is Han Chinese.

So for those thinking there going to be a certain -- group... anglos fall in 3rd-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies