Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Nonsense if the woman is healthy there's no problem 99.999 percent of the time.

The older generations are out of touch they worked in the 50's through the 70's when the country was totally different. Sadly these are the people running the country and that's why we're in the mess we're in.

Let all these pull up your boot strap preachers try and make it in this day and age...they'll be crying and longing to go back to the 60's and their hippie headband.
Trump would have been nine years old in 1955. He did most of his big stuff in the 80s. Few people around remember much about the 50s but everyone is obsessed with it. The 70s were awful with high crime in cities, gas pump lines and 20% mortgage rates. Obama is barely a boomer and anyone younger is GenX. We remember the stock market crash in the 80s and recession in the early 90s also with high unemployment.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Nonsense if the woman is healthy there's no problem 99.999 percent of the time.

The older generations are out of touch they worked in the 50's through the 70's when the country was totally different. Sadly these are the people running the country and that's why we're in the mess we're in.

Let all these pull up your boot strap preachers try and make it in this day and age...they'll be crying and longing to go back to the 60's and their hippie headband.
The Baby Boom started in 1946. There were no 4 year olds working in 1950. There weren't many 14 year olds working at full time jobs in 1960, either. As you can see, it wasn't until the 1970s that Boomers made much of an impact on the work force, and in 1971 Nixon imposed wage and price controls that lasted for two years. Then in 1973 there was that nasty little Arab Oil Embargo and energy "crisis". There were recessions in 1970, 1973-75, 1980-82, 1990-91, 2001, 2008-09. Even in the 1980, the oldest Boomers were 34 years old. They didn't start getting involved in politics until later that decade. It wasn't until 1992 that there was a Boomer president (Clinton).
https://www.thebalance.com/the-histo...states-3306011

Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe it is the company you keep.
Maybe I don't want someone whos ridden the **** carousel from High school onward, has a disease, and has morals/values, self respect, doesn't need to live on a phone, exhibit attention seeking behavior (psych issues) through the various apps, (filling a void), or exhibits bed to wed tactics... As stated, I don't partake or endorse the hook up culture of my generation.

Finding someone as old fashioned as me is like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles.

Uh sure it's the company I keep... We'll go with that one, as I primarily fly solo, and most that I associate with are married. Don't need a big group of friends to have a good time.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM

73,036 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I learned where I stood when I was told at 23 that it would cost $14,000 to bank my eggs before starting chemo. There's a chance, sure, but it's not particularly reliant on my age at this point. Not to mention the further out from cancer I am, the safer it will be for me to even carry a pregnancy to term. Yes, I know I'm not typical, but everyone lives their own circumstances.

There are many ways to build a family.

I want things to be financially right because daycare for an infant costs $2000 a month where I live. If I was to become accidentally pregnant, I wouldn't be able to afford the daycare costs. It would also be unlikely that I could up and move somewhere cheaper while 4, 6, 8 months pregnant. People figure it out, sure, but both my partner and I had parents who winged it and WE will be paying for that mistake as they age. I won't do that to my kids.
I'm sorry about your illness. This is one thing many people don't consider when it comes to childbearing.

Having a child is not cheap. Few people realize that. It is hard enough taking care of one's self as a single person.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
But, is it decimating the middle class?

Old 04-06-2017, 04:24 PM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I want things to be financially right because daycare for an infant costs $2000 a month where I live. If I was to become accidentally pregnant, I wouldn't be able to afford the daycare costs. It would also be unlikely that I could up and move somewhere cheaper while 4, 6, 8 months pregnant. People figure it out, sure, but both my partner and I had parents who winged it and WE will be paying for that mistake as they age. I won't do that to my kids.
You and your partner are not also expected to be funding both sets of parents in their old age?

Old 04-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Calling someone spoiled and irresponsible for not being married/having children is a low blow. If the goal of insulting someone for being single and childless is to get them to become married with children, it's not working. I will be darned if someone tries to shame me for being almost 31 with no children or in a marriage. Personally, shame doesn't work on me. It will not make me have kids any faster.

I thought about a conversation I had with my mother a long time ago. She didn't directly say it. She hinted at wanting grandchildren. 3 kids between my mother and father, and none of them are married or in a relationship. My brother is kind of a player. My sister has been in 2 serious relationships, but is currently single again. I have always been single. She hinted at feeling left out. All of her siblings have grandchildren.

As for the future of this country, I don't know what will happen. I don't see how me waiting until I'm ready for marriage/children is harmful.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Calling someone spoiled and irresponsible for not being married/having children is a low blow. If the goal of insulting someone for being single and childless is to get them to become married with children, it's not working. I will be darned if someone tries to shame me for being almost 31 with no children or in a marriage. Personally, shame doesn't work on me. It will not make me have kids any faster.

I thought about a conversation I had with my mother a long time ago. She didn't directly say it. She hinted at wanting grandchildren. 3 kids between my mother and father, and none of them are married or in a relationship. My brother is kind of a player. My sister has been in 2 serious relationships, but is currently single again. I have always been single. She hinted at feeling left out. All of her siblings have grandchildren.

As for the future of this country, I don't know what will happen. I don't see how me waiting until I'm ready for marriage/children is harmful.

Strangers can call you whatever they want (and they have called me similar names for not having kids). I will actually listen to these insults when they donate $100 bills toward my childrearing costs

Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Strangers can call you whatever they want (and they have called me similar names for not having kids). I will actually listen to these insults when they donate $100 bills toward my childrearing costs
This was more about what was in the first post of this thread. Calling millennials spoiled brats for not getting married/starting families.

My mother hinted at wanting grandchildren. I thought "I'm the one who is going to have to take care of those kids".

You have a point there. If said persons are not going to pay for my childcare costs, they have no right to complain. It's none of their business.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You and your partner are not also expected to be funding both sets of parents in their old age?
Neither set of parents has enough saved, no. When I talk to my peers who are also waiting to have kids, worried about taking care of our parents in old age is certainly a huge concern. I mean, just look at the caregiver's subforum - the cost of nursing homes is far more than many planned for. My partner is an only child and his parents are only children, so if not us, who?

My parents were abusive and I no longer have contact with them, but when it comes down to it, I don't think I would be able to let my brother do it on his own. We'll see. Not to mention who knows where filial laws will be when the time comes?

At the very least, neither of us had parents who helped us get our starts. When one set of parents pushes you into law school and the other goes on vacation to Europe rather than helping with anything when you're going through stage IV cancer alone, that sets you back quite a bit even before you worry about *their* future!

Even if we're not paying for it ourselves, I suspect we will have to see a big shift in taxes, social security, etc for our generation to handle the societal burden of our aging population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies