Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:02 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL1-340ODCM
Extreme. I know maybe a few marriages that are childless, and those are the newly married. I can vouch for this. Many women who have alot of kids are often having them the wrong way and in situations where they can ill afford to take care of them.

I read in the description box about the 1950s. The 1950s was not good for everyone. Some of the stuff going on, Blacks were having higher rates of OOW births than anyone else in America, were poorer and often subjected to severe discrimination. Now, the stuff in that movie, that was taking place in the 1950s. It started to uptick in the 50s, and then shot up rapidly in the 60s and 70s. This problem is nothing new.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Yes, actually. Did you see that movie "The Lobster" with Colin Ferrel? It was a fictional world where people had to be coupled by law, and if for whatever reason you weren't at the moment (separation, divorce, death of spouse), you were given only a few weeks at a special retreat to find someone (or someone new) or be turned into an animal of your choice.

I saw it as a dark (very) satire on the endless searching (or just waiting) that many people do in real life. Getting into divorcee market territory is fine if you are both divorcees. It would be difficult I think for a 40 y.o. divorcee to understand how to work with another 40 y.o. who had never had a long term relationship at all. There should be a point. A hard cut-off, where we say essentially... "closing time in 12 weeks". Not because there is anything wrong with remaining single, but it would remove the stress of still hoping when its clear that there isn't any hope left.

I had some bad times on dating sites because there are quite a number of 44 y.o. and older women that are desperate to marry and have children. They make very demanding dating material. They want to know where (and how) things are going just hours in. They angrily accuse you of wasting their time if you aren't constantly reassuring them that your intentions are honorable. But there is also this critical appraisal that is at work at the same time making them question whether you are really good enough for them. Can it really be this easy. Yeah. A hard cut-off. The only people over 40 that should be on dating sites are those that can truly not be invested in outcomes. Those that can end things without regret over the amount of time "wasted". And enjoy what was good, learn from what wasn't and move on.
But what you're saying is giving up would make you happier (by taking away the stress/pressure of being in the game). And that's cool... that'd be your choice and if it makes you happier than go for it. I'm just saying that for people who want to be in a relationship and are really driven to get it, I don't see why they should give up just because they get to 35. If they stop wanting it because there's too much baggage, then ok, but that's more a choice than settling.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Does this mean that millennials are a bunch of spoiled brats!!!
Is this another example of every generation thinking the next generation is spoiled? It sure sounds like it.

But more millennials than baby boomers are going to college. Score 1 for millennials.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM

520 posts, read 730,748 times
I would love to get married and have a family eventually. Unfortunately, I've never had a woman like me romantically, or at least that I was able to pick up on. Plus I work part-time at a minimum wage job, and I live with my parents. And admittedly, I probably smoke way to much weed. I also still have no idea what I would like to do as far as a career to better myself. Money is easily the most important thing when it comes to marriage, and finding a woman. Woman like guys who have ambition, motivation to better themselves, and resources to take care of any kids that the couple may have. So I'm pretty sure that might have something to do with why women don't look at me as marriage material. I still feel that at 25, I have time to change things in my life. Right now, I'm more focused on having fun. So while I would eventually like to get married, it's not my main priority.

I don't really see how that means Young Americans are killing marriage though. Killing marriage would be getting married, and then getting divorced.

Also, you don't just wake up one day and find someone to marry. I've never been in a relationship in my life, either casual or long-term, and I'm 25. Sometimes it takes longer for people to find someone, and some people never find someone. I don't think that hurts society. But if some people are so worried about this, maybe they can help out us long-term singles? Otherwise, why care about what someone else does in the first place?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:10 PM

727 posts, read 390,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wait, what? Historically, marriage - at least in Greek, Roman and Abrahamic religion - controls women. Essentially, it's there to ensure that a man can make sure his sons were actually of his lineage. Look at the wildly differing norms for extramarital sex as they applied to men and women.
Nah, I'm talking about how it is now. Sure, men like the idea a woman will only sleep with them but men still want to screw as many hot women as they can. With religion, and monogamy being a part of it, society can pressure the man to remain "faithful". And faith is a big part of religion. Funny how that works.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Nah, I'm talking about how it is now. Sure, men like the idea a woman will only sleep with them but men still want to screw as many hot women as they can. With religion, and monogamy being a part of it, society can pressure the man to remain "faithful". And faith is a big part of religion. Funny how that works.
Do you have proof to that claim or is this just "locker room talk" right here? I have proof to say that is wrong...
Millennials prefer traditional dating to one-night stands, study says
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ecb_story.html
https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/02...-less-sex.html

Old 04-09-2017, 03:40 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,440 times
Quote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lling-marriage
A lot of them are children of divorce. So now that they are adults, they are (1) generally more educated and (2) less likely to rush into marriage. A lot of children of divorce don't want to repeat the cycle.

As for the "failure-to-launch" statistic, that can't really be blamed on the millenials. Blame it on the economy. I knew a millenial who had a perfect score on the SAT and got a master's degree in his early 20s in artificial intelligence. But the economy was so bad around 2008-2009 that he could not get a good job right away. So he wound up staying with his parents for about year. Now he is a successful programmer for for software that controls robotic surgery.

If you want to find millenials who rush into marriage and get divorced a lot like the generation of the 70s and 80s and 90s, then view the "Bible Belt". They still often rush into marriage by their early 20s. But then you find a lot of divorced single parents by their 30s.
What's fueling Bible Belt divorces - CNN.com

Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 AM

381 posts, read 642,381 times
As a millennial, what I'm seeing is that with online dating/apps, people are incredibly choosy and if a potential mate doesn't "check all the boxes" they don't want to settle for less, in their minds.

I'm finding that a lot of people my age (30's) are already set in their ways and don't want to compromise/work to build a life together.

Add to that job instability and rising COL, and traditional marriage rates will continue to decline.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
As a millennial, what I'm seeing is that with online dating/apps, people are incredibly choosy and if a potential mate doesn't "check all the boxes" they don't want to settle for less, in their minds.

I'm finding that a lot of people my age (30's) are already set in their ways and don't want to compromise/work to build a life together.

Add to that job instability and rising COL, and traditional marriage rates will continue to decline.
Yeah, I find that with online dating. I read the profiles or try to before swyping left (no I don't use Tinder but most platforms adopted that swype left to pass) but often I find that even if I think I fit what they want, they don't think so. That or that silly "have your **** together" comment that I mentioned in another post.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:22 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lling-marriage
No, the linked article clearly indicates that millenials are more educated than boomers were at the same age. It also indicates that millenials are working just as much as their boomer counterparts were working back in 1980 when they were the same age range as current millenials.

The article seems to be making a big deal out of the decline in the traditional living arrangements as some sort of crisis. I just don't agree with that assessment. In Asian cultures people have traditionally lived together as extended families. In America the nuclear family was pushed as the standard and that seems to be changing and I just don't consider that to be a negative. The nuclear family is just a meaningless social construct. The decline in the nuclear family as the standard living arrangement does not equate to a decline in the quality of the human race. We are changing but not necessarily for the worse. If millenials are rejecting baby boomer lifestyles it does not mean civilization is failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies