Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Young people have had to delay a number of important life decision because you baby boomers and old farts ruined this country, including the political and economic system. Way to go...pat yourself on the back for a job well done
I'm not a baby boomer , but if younger generations blame everything on the older generation it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy .
You see people doing this in general .
"I didn't go to a good school ... so I can't X"

"I wasn't born into money so I can't X"

Also not cool to call older people "old farts"

Just like it's not right to call younger people "young punks" or "spoiled little brats "

Yes some are but generalizing like that isn't right.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I did not stop fighting my parents until they were both dead. Unfortunately they can sometimes still haunt me.

Re: Iceland. I recently read that a Nordic tradition was for a man to have a wife or lover that either had his children or was pregnant before he went Viking (traveling salesman/thief). If the man did not return the village helped take care of the kids. If he did return he helped take care of his friends that did not return kids.

The moralists and control freaks of the Protestant Revolution made bastardry a curse as they enslaved women for the greater glory of the selected preachers. Take care of the women and kids REGARDLESS of their mother's married status. The children are the future.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
When societies and societal structures change, the laws will need to be changed and updated. That's what freedom is all about.

The gay community fought really hard to get the right to marry. People seemed pretty stoked about it then. Now its just a shoddy piece of paper...?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The gay community fought really hard to get the right to marry. People seemed pretty stoked about it then. Now its just a shoddy piece of paper...?
Some people want to get married. Some don't want to but still want to have a relationship. The law should allow for all cases.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 606,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Some people want to get married. Some don't want to but still want to have a relationship. The law should allow for all cases.
Indeed. When it comes to immigration your relationship isn't real if you do not want to be married

Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Generally not disastrous. It may be harder to get pregnant at that age. The risk of Down Syndrome goes up with age, any age. Gimmee a break with this "misery" shtick. "Happy endings" are the norm, not the outlier.
Down syndrome | March of Dimes
You brought up Down's. I was talking about fertility. "It may be harder to get pregnant at that age..." It IS harder to get pregnant at that age. A LOT harder. That is my point. There are a LOT of very unhappy 38 and older women because they cannot afford IVF and they have been trying for 3 years and its not looking good. I wouldn't go as far as to say happy endings are the norm. There is no norm anymore. The point, my point, is that any pain is downplayed. Like in your post.

I haven't read your link but I sure hope to God it isn't trying to tell women that Down's is no big deal. As I understand it 40% of American women and couples do not terminate a pregnancy even when it is discovered that the fetus has Down's. In Europe, 90% of women and couples terminate pregnancies known to be positive for Down's. In America the syndrome is not seen as all that much of a handicap. Maybe because the people that have the more serious cases are not going to be the ones that have to deal with them.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, its pretty interesting, both of these realities co-exist. And we haven't even acknowledged triad and poly aggregations. I don't think they will ever get a legal instrument that speaks to their lifestyle choice. Personally I think Gay marriage has everything to do with most people needing to be part of the traditional social, religious and socio-economic structure because of indoctrination. Rather than give that up and embrace a sub-culture that is (was) clearly outside of that umbrella, a minority of Gay people want (and got) the umbrella enlarged to cover them and those whom they choose as life partners.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think it's best to do this

Go to school-> get a job and make some $->get married-> have a baby

In that order. If you do it out of order, especially in reverse, you're setting yourself up for a hard life. As far as marriage itself goes- it's a legal contract. I don't think it's a good idea to buy property / mix finances, or have a baby without the protectections of that contract.

I would say: go to school > get a job and make some good money > either get married or built a solid relationship > have a baby. I see your point about those not married entering into legal contracts though. They must see an attorney and do joint ventures or something similar.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You brought up Down's. I was talking about fertility. "It may be harder to get pregnant at that age..." It IS harder to get pregnant at that age. A LOT harder. That is my point. There are a LOT of very unhappy 38 and older women because they cannot afford IVF and they have been trying for 3 years and its not looking good. I wouldn't go as far as to say happy endings are the norm. There is no norm anymore. The point, my point, is that any pain is downplayed. Like in your post.

I haven't read your link but I sure hope to God it isn't trying to tell women that Down's is no big deal. As I understand it 40% of American women and couples do not terminate a pregnancy even when it is discovered that the fetus has Down's. In Europe, 90% of women and couples terminate pregnancies known to be positive for Down's. In America the syndrome is not seen as all that much of a handicap. Maybe because the people that have the more serious cases are not going to be the ones that have to deal with them.
Here is a link about odds of pregnancy. Maybe this time you should read it before commenting on it. Do read the Down's link before commenting again.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here is a link about odds of pregnancy. Maybe this time you should read it before commenting on it. Do read the Down's link before commenting again.
Missing link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies