Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yes, I do. The reminder is nice though.
Probably as much a reminder to myself of how incredibly, sanctimoniously close minded some people can be.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Do you honestly think ardent believers in Islam that come to our country will automatically abandon their beliefs and embrace our open and accepting culture? DO you think people are so weak willed that they will give a belief system imbued in them since birth and for many generations prior?
Well, women don't wear hats that much in church anymore and Catholics eat meat on Fridays, so if things change in the Christian world, they can change in the Muslim world as well. Maybe there's a Metropolitan Community Church-styled Mosque in Islam's future! How many "former Christians" haven't seen the inside of a church since the cows came home! Think that won't happen to Muslims as well?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Comparing Christianity to Buddhism is a new one to me...

A bit of a stretch and maybe a little want of putting Christianity in the better light that Buddhism rightfully deserves, but actually the different religious teachings are what drives those most ignorant to either go the way of violence or peace regardless.

The problem is the ignorance that causes SOME people to become victims of those who promote religious teachings in the manner that serves their agenda, and since religious teachings have long been all about the promotion of political agenda, it takes a great deal more intelligence to understand what is right and truthful rather than what is not. This problem and challenge exists with all religions, wherever ignorance, poverty and the pressure to follow overcomes our better mental faculties...

The proof of this truth is with all very peaceful and intelligent Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, the majority of people who are not subject or victim of ignorance. Also, fortunately, religion at least in America is becoming less and less an influence as we can all hope will be the case in the rest of the world, along with the hope for more peace and prosperity for more people in general everywhere.
As Christianity returns to its deep down roots of love and compassion, I think it will see a resurgence In the US.

I can see why people have turned from it.

Hopefully, Christians will see that the further they have strayed, the less impact they have. We, Christians, need to return to a very basic tenant - love.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I know you are, I wasn't directing that at you personally. Just responding to what you had said. I'm proud you're my friend and an ally. Ultimately it will take God to change hearts and minds, but with people like you speaking for us, change will come.
If true, God created all around us, then counting on God for better than the violence known to man from the beginning is like still counting on shaman and prayer rather than science to find the cure for cancer.

As you wish of course, but not for me or my loved ones thank you...

Ultimately, it will take less counting on "God" and more education for all that will save ourselves from the ignorance that has had so many millions of people killing one another over beliefs that go back to before we knew the Earth was round.

Continuing to promote more of that belief in "God" rather than what really brings peace and brotherhood among people is not the way, and why -- again -- I think we make progress when we see that fewer people in America today associate themselves with any religion than ever before. A statistic that continues that trend with each generation that slowly comes to know better, understand better what is truth and what is not.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If true, God created all around us, then counting on God for better than the violence known to man from the beginning is like counting on prayer rather than science to find the cure for cancer...

Ultimately, it will take less counting on "God" and more education for all that will save ourselves from the ignorance that has had so many millions of people killing one another over beliefs that go back to before we knew the Earth was round.

Continuing to promote more of that belief in "God" rather than what really brings peace and brotherhood among people is not the way, and why -- again -- I think we make progress when we see that fewer people in America today associate themselves with any religion than ever before. A statistic that continues that trend with each generation that slowly comes to know better, understand better what is truth and what is not.
God grants us the ability to gain the scientific knowledge to cure disease.

If we made the CHOICE to invest the resources we've used for war to cancer research, it would be as relevant as polio. However, since we have CHOICE, we constantly make wrong ones way too often.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As Christianity returns to its deep down roots of love and compassion, I think it will see a resurgence In the US.

I can see why people have turned from it.

Hopefully, Christians will see that the further they have strayed, the less impact they have. We, Christians, need to return to a very basic tenant - love.
Show me a religion that has not applied the same sort of kindness to "win hearts and minds."

Even Al Qaeda was well known to help the local people with care, medicine, protection -- help -- in order to bring them into their order. All religions do the same to appeal to the common base of the common people, plus a little fear of this or that (Hell), maybe shame for not being a part, contributing, missionary work..., and on and on with the tactics to gain new followers.

People need to focus on truth, love and compassion, simple as that. Take out all the rest of the nonsense going back to before we knew we weren't the center of the universe, and we might just have a chance going forward.

Religion -- all of them -- is to that progress like water is to a boat...

Old 05-08-2017, 10:47 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Probably as much a reminder to myself of how incredibly, sanctimoniously close minded some people can be.
Yes, that too.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
God grants us the ability to gain the scientific knowledge to cure disease.

If we made the CHOICE to invest the resources we've used for war to cancer research, it would be as relevant as polio. However, since we have CHOICE, we constantly make wrong ones way too often.
I don't blame God for giving us choice, and I don't blame God for those who make bad choices, no more than I blame Santa Clause for the gifts around the fireplace on Christmas morning...

The choice that people make about what to believe is the most important, and this is where too many people are making the wrong choice that leads to wrong decisions, about gays, women, birth control, those who believe in other religions, love, sex, tolerance, science..., for TOO MANY CENTURIES ALREADY!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well, women don't wear hats that much in church anymore and Catholics eat meat on Fridays, so if things change in the Christian world, they can change in the Muslim world as well. Maybe there's a Metropolitan Community Church-styled Mosque in Islam's future! How many "former Christians" haven't seen the inside of a church since the cows came home! Think that won't happen to Muslims as well?
The key is to live in a better educated secular world where religious beliefs give way to the better way and truth for all concerned. May this progress however slow continue in America and the rest of the world as quickly as man can manage, at least as fast as this progress has continued since we began to question Creationism...

Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, at some point, with the rise of Islam, there will be less liberals to confront here.
Too funny and ironic, but no doubt the thinking of a conservative who doesn't even know how they prove the wrong in their own way of thinking. The above "truth" if you insist, maybe something for alt-right conservatives to think about just a bit harder if you ask me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies