Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I agree too. One thing stands out to me however. If devotees of either Islam and Christianity have to ignore the anti gay stance clearly spelled out in the bible and Koran as well as other things contradictory to human rights and what we believe is right and wrong today then to me it puts the validity of both religions into question.
No it doesn't.

Love they neighbor as thyself

Mark 12:31

The only way your reading works is if you don't think much of yourself but granted, there are many that fit that label in and out of the church.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Good point. Since humans did all sorts of atrocities in the past, we should just ignore them today.
Religion, in theory, is a beautiful thing.

Leave it to mankind, in practice, to ruin it.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
There is no argument that Islam and gay rights and gender bending are not compatible. They are matter antimatter. Let some gays lesbos or genderbender trannys have a march down main street in Dearborn. They would be stoned.
You really messed this question up. The US is not yet a Muslim Theocracy. You'll not find many Muslims practicing their religion to the extreme letter of their law in Dearborn. In fact, you will probably not find that many who would if they were compelled to do so.

You need to put your question in the context of a true Islamic theocracy. And from the information we have from outside these theocracies that we can piece together, the answer is obvious: they would be put to death in some horrendous fashion if their being homosexual were a matter of public knowledge. Is there an underground gay community in places like Iran? I'm sure there is, but it is certainly not out in the open and would not be allowed to become public.

Another baffling aspect is the treatment of women in such nations and the beliefs of the feminist movement in this country. One hundred and eighty degrees out of phase... yet the hands are firmly clasped.

As to why there is an alliance between two polar opposites, it goes back to the old saying about the enemy of my enemy blah blah blah. Were the homosexual community, which is free to do as it chooses in this nation, suddenly plopped down into the middle of a hardcore Islamic theocracy, I shudder to think of the consequences. It wouldn't be pretty. But for now, the Islamists use this alliance with the libs for leverage in preparation for the carrying out of their goals, and the libs use the Islamic extremists as a middle finger to middle America. It's a dangerous game that will one day be regretted by at least one of the couple.

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Religion was created/invented by humans.

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
My favorite counter punch to the "gay sex is a sin" argument is "unmarried heterosexual sex outside of marriage is a sin as well, how much condemning of that are you doing? Maybe you should head on over to the young adults singles class."

Let married people head on over to our worship center to get married, and we can get them a step closer.
There is still a good bit of condemnation for sex outside of marriage but it mostly comes from those who hormones are no longer at their peak. LOL

Do as I say, not as I did has it's place but.......

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

People screw up everything.

Theoretically speaking, communism is the absolute, hands down best system of governance and community, until you add humans to the mix.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is still a good bit of condemnation for sex outside of marriage but it mostly comes from those who hormones are no longer at their peak. LOL

Do as I say, not as I did has it's place but.......
So true.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Hopefully, the religion of Islam will come around.

Christians are on the edge of change. The majority of younger Christians are pretty accepting, but until the older establishment dies off, the most vocal voice will continue to dominate.

Obviously, the animosity towards gays is radically different between the two religions. The old school Christians want to "cure" the gayness while the old school Muslims prefer a tall tower or a good pile of stones.

I look forward to the day when gay bashing is a rare event.
We can't BAN Islam anymore than we can ban the Nazi party in this country. But, we CAN stop normalizing Islamic practices and we can STOP inching towards blasphemy laws like they're doing in Europe and Canada.

Islam is basically the only religion that is growing...IN THE WORLD. Throughout traditional Christendom, secularism and atheism are more and more popular. But, Islam is growing faster than the west can secularize its Muslim migrants and immigrants.

There is no basis to think that Islam is going to "come around" any time soon. Islam will likely dominate the world numerically long before this much-awaited-for "reform" comes around. In the meantime, where does that leave LGBT people? The "reform" of Islam should have already happened or started in our information age. But it's not. All indicators actually show that the religion is getting MORE conservative.

There's going to be a LOT of progress lost for women and gays. It is inevitable. And the liberal aversion to criticizing Islam will be at fault. Progress lost is already been felt and complained about in places in Europe where safe spaces for LGBT and women have begun to report a return to conditions that haven't been seen in decades and decades (in the Netherlands, for example, "Arab youth" increasingly are PHYSICALLY attacking gays in places that traditionally were gay friendly places).

Honestly, liberals supporting Islam is like a liberal supporting the most conservative of Christian sects. Pew polls repeatedly show that Muslims in America (who are supposedly EDUCATED in general due to selective immigration) have social views on par with the most conservative sects of Christianity.

Now just wait or think of areas of the world where the majority of Muslims are actually NOT educated.

A real recipe for progressivism, eh?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
There is no argument that Islam and gay rights and gender bending are not compatible. They are matter antimatter. Let some gays lesbos or genderbender trannys have a march down main street in Dearborn. They would be stoned.
For me it is about freedom of choice and staying out of other people's business except insofar as it harms the common good. I have a hard time with Islam after listening to a Sam Harris talk on the subject. He, rightly states that not all religions are created equal. There is no Jainist who would fly a plane into tower based on their religion. That said, a lot of ugly and evil stuff has been done in the name of xianity too. Yet people pick and choose what of that religion they want to adhere to. (Why the hell they pick on the barely mentioned homosexuality and ignore the many dietary restrictions is beyond me...) So if Muslim people in this country want to pick the shiny happy balogna that their religion purports the way Christians supposedly do, I think it is there right to do so.

Why anyone would have a problem with gays or gender fluid people, I simply cannot imagine. They hurt no one.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Quote:
People screw up everything.

Haha, ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Theoretically speaking, communism is the absolute, hands down best system of governance and community, until you add humans to the mix.
Indeed it would be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies