Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
You know that this could apply to the bible too, right? Or any religion for that matter?

Not that I have an opinion either way. Just wanted to let you know that your bias is showing.
Yes, and?

You think I'm a Christian? LOL.

What I DO know is that of the places where gay rights are thriving and gay marriage is taking hold... ALL of them are "Christian" countries or countries with a Christian tradition.

Compare to Islam and Muslim-majority societies.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:12 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've asked this many times.......do you not consider dead, dead? Why is it worse to get your head cut off than to get blown to bits by a bomb dropped by a drone?

Assuming the video's you watch are even real, they are evil because their mode of death is not as technologically advanced as ours?
The difference is that the ISIS type wishes me dead simply because I do not share his belief. On the other hand, I do not wish anyone dead unless I'm forced to defend my own life. I don't go out of my way to subjugate (or kill) others. I would suspect most middle Americans feel similarly. I would suspect that most black-clad ISIS thugs do not feel similarly.

So, no, dead is not dead. There is a difference generally. There is definitely a difference between me shooting and killing someone who breaks into my home with the intend to kill me and someone who is dead due to a death camp guard opening a shower head spewing gas. One is justified, one is not.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, we are probably splitting hairs.
Hopefully not short and curly.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Pastors and parents say they don’t hate homosexuals, and insist they only hate the “lifestyle,” that is, they only hate homosexual sex acts. Then Christian kids, gay and lesbian young people, sons and daughters, commit suicide.

I can only say that those brave, defiant pronouncement on behalf of God based on the Bible are hateful.*Are they protected speech? Yes. Is it the free exercise of religion? Yes.

But, whenwe casually disavow responsibility for the impact of our words on the innocent, and the innocent take their own lives because of those careless, literally irresponsible words–well, if that doesn’t constitute hate, let’s look for something else.

On “Law and Order” I hear phrases like “wreckless disregard,” “criminal negligence,” “depraved indifference,” and the like. If “hate” is too strong, then how about criminal?

I’m reminded of Proverbs 24:11-12.
Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to die;
save them as they stagger to their death.
Don’t excuse yourself by saying, “Look, we didn’t know.”
For God understands all hearts, and he sees you.
He who guards your soul knows you knew.
He will repay all people as their actions deserve.
I don't disagree with you, and I'm trying to be as vocal as I can here, with my friends and in church.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If the philosophy has baked into it bad ideas, then "abuse" is a symptom of the ideology itself, not abuse of the ideology.

Nazi-ism's call for the eradication of the Jewish people didn't lead to the holocaust because it was ABUSED. It directly flowed from the political philosophy.

With Christianity, fundamentalist Christianity is actually very similar to Buddhism. It was actually ABUSED by people who literally didn't heed Jesus' message. Ironically, though, the Popes and Kings of Europe going AGAINST Christianity's teachings (love thy enemy, turn the other cheek, etc.) is why Europe isn't ALREADY Islamic. Seeing as how Islam has spent 1400 years continuously occupying, colonizing, enslaving or attacking Europe and European peoples on one shore or another.

Had they "turned the other cheek" over the past 1400 years instead of fighting back, a grand mosque would stand where St. Peter's Basilica sits today. So i guess we should be thankful for that, since the enlightenment and modern era came out of Christendom

Where in the Bible is it that Jesus teaches that when it's inconvenient his followers should just kick his teachings to the curb?

And was it really so 'enlightened' when the church put Galileo on trial?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Yes, and?

You think I'm a Christian? LOL.

What I DO know is that of the places where gay rights are thriving and gay marriage is taking hold... ALL of them are "Christian" countries or countries with a Christian tradition.

Compare to Islam and Muslim-majority societies.

And Russia with its Eastern Orthodox tradition? A veritable stronghold of gay rights?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't disagree with you, and I'm trying to be as vocal as I can here, with my friends and in church.
I know you are, I wasn't directing that at you personally. Just responding to what you had said. I'm proud you're my friend and an ally. Ultimately it will take God to change hearts and minds, but with people like you speaking for us, change will come.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But you realize the problem lies with them, not with you, right?
Yes, I do. The reminder is nice though.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I know you are, I wasn't directing that at you personally. Just responding to what you had said. I'm proud you're my friend and an ally. Ultimately it will take God to change hearts and minds, but with people like you speaking for us, change will come.
I'm proud to have you as a friend as well.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
If the philosophy has baked into it bad ideas, then "abuse" is a symptom of the ideology itself, not abuse of the ideology.

Nazi-ism's call for the eradication of the Jewish people didn't lead to the holocaust because it was ABUSED. It directly flowed from the political philosophy.

With Christianity, fundamentalist Christianity is actually very similar to Buddhism. It was actually ABUSED by people who literally didn't heed Jesus' message. Ironically, though, the Popes and Kings of Europe going AGAINST Christianity's teachings (love thy enemy, turn the other cheek, etc.) is why Europe isn't ALREADY Islamic. Seeing as how Islam has spent 1400 years continuously occupying, colonizing, enslaving or attacking Europe and European peoples on one shore or another.

Had they "turned the other cheek" over the past 1400 years instead of fighting back, a grand mosque would stand where St. Peter's Basilica sits today. So i guess we should be thankful for that, since the enlightenment and modern era came out of Christendom.
Comparing Christianity to Buddhism is a new one to me...

A bit of a stretch and maybe a little want of putting Christianity in the better light that Buddhism rightfully deserves, but actually the different religious teachings are what drives those most ignorant to either go the way of violence or peace regardless.

The problem is the ignorance that causes SOME people to become victims of those who promote religious teachings in the manner that serves their agenda, and since religious teachings have long been all about the promotion of political agenda, it takes a great deal more intelligence to understand what is right and truthful rather than what is not. This problem and challenge exists with all religions, wherever ignorance, poverty and the pressure to follow overcomes our better mental faculties...

The proof of this truth is with all very peaceful and intelligent Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, the majority of people who are not subject or victim of ignorance. Also, fortunately, religion at least in America is becoming less and less an influence as we can all hope will be the case in the rest of the world, along with the hope for more peace and prosperity for more people in general everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies