Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No we don't. What we NEED is for the younger generation of Americans to drop their feelings of entitlement and get off their ass and WORK.

Liberals keep saying any business that can't pay a "living wage" shouldn't be in business, looks like California farmers shouldn't be in business if they have to hire illegals.
Very fair point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 07:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
There have been hundreds if not thousands of "The Crops are Rotting in the Fields!" scare stories in the media going back decades now.

Quote:
Here are the worst unemployment rates in the U.S. at present [June, 2016], which seem to be largely farming areas in California that have imported generations of stoop labor:

In contrast, the lowest unemployment rate at the moment is in Ames, Iowa (2.0%), where a different agriculture productivity model prevailed.
Crops rotting in fields, Trump to blame - The Unz Review

Old 05-25-2017, 07:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Being "lazy" has nothing to do with it.

Low Wages - : National Farm Worker Ministry

"Annually, the average income of crop workers is between $10,000 to $12,499 for individuals and $15,000 to $17,499 for a family. To give you an idea, the federal poverty line is $10,830 for an individual or $22,050 for a family of four (in 2009).
Thus, according to NAWS, 30% of all farm workers had total family incomes below the poverty line.

Most farm workers are paid based how many buckets or bags they pick of whatever crop they harvest—this is known as the “piece rate.” Payment in this format has some drawbacks.
First of all, if workers are being paid by how much they pick, this acts as a disincentive to take breaks for water or shade, as taking breaks would cut into their productivity and thus cut into their pay.
And the surplus of illegal labor keeps those wages down, prevents better conditions for workers, and delays introduction of automation which could do everything cheaper and more efficiently.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I can't picture any youth I know working in the hot blazing sun for 12 hours straight bent over at the waist picking lettuce or hoeing a rows upon rows of cotton. Those jobs suck and typically pay very little.
You'd never make it on a farm. We did that and didn't get paid. Just a roof and food. We thought it was normal. It did build strong work ethic on top of wealth for our entire family of which I benefit from now.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You'd never make it on a farm. We did that and didn't get paid. Just a roof and food. We thought it was normal. It did build strong work ethic on top of wealth for our entire family of which I benefit from now.
I grew up on a dairy farm and have been employed since I was 15 years old never have been without work. In case you're curious I earn six figures. Don't assume buddy not all liberals are cut from the same cloth.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Growing up, I picked cucumbers in the summers in South Georgia. My parents considered it character building even though it was not a financial necessity for us. I'll attest, it was effective.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Being "lazy" has nothing to do with it.

Low Wages - : National Farm Worker Ministry

"Annually, the average income of crop workers is between $10,000 to $12,499 for individuals and $15,000 to $17,499 for a family. To give you an idea, the federal poverty line is $10,830 for an individual or $22,050 for a family of four (in 2009).
Thus, according to NAWS, 30% of all farm workers had total family incomes below the poverty line.

Most farm workers are paid based how many buckets or bags they pick of whatever crop they harvest—this is known as the “piece rate.” Payment in this format has some drawbacks.
First of all, if workers are being paid by how much they pick, this acts as a disincentive to take breaks for water or shade, as taking breaks would cut into their productivity and thus cut into their pay.
The minimum wage in CA is $10.00/hr. They would be making at least $20,000/yr if they work full time. If the farming season doesn't last all year, get another full-time job in the off season. What you're doing is trying to make the claim that they aren't getting paid much for the work that they do. That is false. They may not have a year round job, but they get paid at the very least $10/hr for the work that they do while out on that farm. Finding additional jobs in the off-season is not a new thing, it's not just for farm workers, it's been done by many people from fisherman to forest workers to farm workers for years.

Farmworker wages in California: Large gap between full-time equivalent and actual earnings | Economic Policy Institute
Quote:
A report in the LA Times last week explored why farmers in the Central Valley are having a hard time finding enough workers, despite reportedly paying up to 40 percent more than the California minimum wage. “Today, farmworkers in the state earn about $30,000 a year if they work full-time—about half the overall average pay in California,” notes the Times.
Farm workers get over time pay in CA. In September, Jerry Brown gave them more:

AB 2757 Assembly Bill - Bill Analysis

Stop lying about how they don't make any money. This is a very liberal state...why aren't the lefties working?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Convict labor is the answer. CA prisons are dangerously overcrowded and the inmates spend their time, well I'd better not say. Now if the politicians would only allow a sentence of hard labor, things would be better for prisoners.
I agree. The prisoners would live the work.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I agree. The prisoners would live the work.
You want to put prisoners to work on private farms to keep food costs low?

There's a word for that. Do you know what it is?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Who is paying $28 an hour to pick fruit that sounds like Bull.
Agreed....... Does the add Include a bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies