Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 02:17 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I understand the point you are trying to make. Believe me, I have been blamed by somebody for my boyfriend's suicide.

However, She admits in ... texts that she did nothing: She did not call the police or Mr. Roy's family" after hearing his last breaths during a phone call, Moniz said. "And finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: Get out of the truck.

I really do believe the bold is the deciding factor of her sentencing.

I don't think any sane person would have done what she has done
Fine, then charge her with gross negligence which is defined as: "Carelessness in reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety."

Manslaughter is: "The crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."

She didn't kill him, he killed himself. It's not an appropriate charge, and it could end up having very bad repercussions down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Fine, then charge her with gross negligence or willful misconduct, which the law dictionary defines as: "Negligence where there is a wanton disregard of the risks concerning the circumstances, and the actor is aware of and disregards these significant risks."

Manslaughter is: "The crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."

She didn't kill him, he killed himself. It's not an appropriate charge, and it could end up having very bad repercussions down the road.

She was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Definition:

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.

Three elements must be satisfied in order for someone to be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter:

Someone was killed as a result of the defendant's actions.
The act either was inherently dangerous to others or done with reckless disregard for human life.
The defendant knew or should have known his or her conduct was a threat to the lives of others.

add: Like I said earlier

She admits in ... texts that she did nothing: She did not call the police or Mr. Roy's family" after hearing his last breaths during a phone call, Moniz said. "And finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: Get out of the truck.

I really do believe the bold is the deciding factor of her sentencing. She also knew the boyfriend was mentally ill and suicidal. MOST people lost their loved ones to suicide have no clue.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Good. I hope she get's the smallest cell with a biggest girl in the prison. 20 years isn't enough for this monster.
I don't think she'll even get 10 years.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
She was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Definition:

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.

Three elements must be satisfied in order for someone to be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter:

Someone was killed as a result of the defendant's actions.
The act either was inherently dangerous to others or done with reckless disregard for human life.
The defendant knew or should have known his or her conduct was a threat to the lives of others.
In your own definition it says "an unintentional killing." Again, she didn't kill him. He killed himself, just as he intended to do. Charging her with any kind of manslaughter is the problem.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
In your own definition it says "an unintentional killing." Again, she didn't kill him. He killed himself, just as he intended to do. Charging her with any kind of manslaughter is the problem.
No, you read it wrong

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence

If she killed him, she would be charged with first degree murder; since he killed himself, she was charged with involuntary manslaughter aka criminally negligent homicide.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
How does one listen to last breaths via text message?
She was on the phone with him.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Let's put it this way, if somebody asked a mentally ill and extreme suicidal person to GO BACK TO YOUR TRUCK and listened to him taking his last breath, that is not criminally negligent homicide? Come on.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Goodness.

I find myself in agreement with you on this one.

The woman certainly has issues, and I suspect that her subscription isn't up, but she should not have been charged with manslaughter. I am however, surprised, this wasn't a jury trial.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:39 PM

She was charged with involuntary manslaughter, not manslaughter. YUGE difference.

Involuntary manslaughter is also known as criminally negligent homicide. For example: giving a 2 year old a loaded gun.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No, you read it wrong

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence

If she killed him, she would be charged with first degree murder; since he killed himself, she was charged with involuntary manslaughter aka criminal negligence killing.
No, I read it correctly. And my point stands. She did not unintentionally kill him--he killed himself.

And now it will be case law and case law doesn't exist in a vacuum. Anyone who knows of someone who is contemplating suicide and does nothing to stop them can be held liable for involuntary manslaughter. I know you don't like this woman--neither do I--but this is a case of be careful what you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies