Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, I read it correctly. And my point stands. She did not unintentionally kill him--he killed himself.

And now it will be case law and case law doesn't exist in a vacuum. Anyone who knows of someone who is contemplating suicide and does nothing to stop them can be held liable for manslaughter. I know you don't like this woman--neither do I--but this is a case of be careful what you wish for.
Well, it has nothing to do with me not liking this woman.

I DO believe justice has been served in this case. I posted earlier what is the deciding factor of her sentencing.

You don't want to give a 2 year old a loaded gun. If the 2 year old killed him or herself using that gun, yes, you would be charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it has nothing to do with me not liking this woman.

I DO believe justice has been served in this case. I posted earlier what is the deciding factor of her sentencing.
I would not be surprised if this ruling was appealed. I hope it is, and that it is overturned. This is not a precedent I would like to see stand going forward.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I would not be surprised if this ruling was appealed. I hope it is, and that it is overturned. This is not a precedent I would like to see stand going forward.
well, I respect your opinion and I will leave it at that.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I am however, surprised, this wasn't a jury trial.
Her best chance of getting off was before a judge. A jury would have no sympathy.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This girl consistently told him to kill himself and even at the end when he might have changed his mind, she told him to get back into the truck (so that he would die of carbon monoxide poisoning.)

As members of the human race we all bear some responsibility towards other human beings. Often it's only a tiny bit of responsibility, but in this case, she helped him to kill himself and she knew him very well so she bore some of the responsibility. Yes, there's a fine line when it comes to freedom of speech but she knew him well, she could have kept quiet, she could have called 911, she could have referred him to help, but she chose to egg him on and convince him to kill himself. She is horrible, sadistic, and despicable to have participated in his death.

You have to set an example somewhere, the buck has to stop somewhere. If she had been allowed to get away with this, what does that tell other kids who want someone dead?
Never mind the freedom of speech argument. What about the boyfriend's freedom to put the phone down? Or his freedom to say "I'm not going to listen to you; I refuse to kill myself!" For all we know, he might have killed himself no matter what she would have said or didn't say. If a person if determined enough to kill themselves, they will. Even imprisonment isn't enough to prevent a person's suicide. Don't get me wrong. I'm not excusing her behavior. But ultimately the only person responsible for committing suicide is themselves.

This case reminds me of the case of the Rutgers student, Tyler Clementi, who tragically committed suicide when his college roommate, Dharun Ravi, filmed him having an intimate gay encounter with a fellow student via a hidden webcam in their room, them posted it on the internet. Tyler's mother did not approve of his homosexuality and he felt guilty about it. After the video was exposed, he jumped off a bridge to his death. Ravi was indicted for his role in the incident, and after much public controversy, police decided they could not charge him with any direct responsibility for Clementi's death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Tyler_Clementi

Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Never mind the freedom of speech argument. What about the boyfriend's freedom to put the phone down? Or his freedom to say "I'm not going to listen to you; I refuse to kill myself!" For all we know, he might have killed himself no matter what she would have said or didn't say. If a person if determined enough to kill themselves, they will. Even imprisonment isn't enough to prevent a person's suicide. Don't get me wrong. I'm not excusing her behavior. But ultimately the only person responsible for committing suicide is themselves. ]
You are not wrong and I am not disagreeing with you.

However, In that ruling, the court found that Carter’s “virtual presence” at the time of the suicide and the “constant pressure” she had placed on Roy, who was in a delicate mental state, were enough proof for an involuntary manslaughter charge.

The bottom line is not "he would have killed himself no matter what she would have said or didn't say."

The bottom line is that she encouraged a suicidal person to complete his suicide (by asking him to go back to his truck). It is almost like the giving a 2 year old a loaded gun scenario.

Let's say person A's girlfriend is suicidal and person A knew this for a fact. Person A gave the girlfriend a loaded gun and told her, "just pull the trigger and you would be free from all the pain." The girlfriend ended up died. That is not criminally negligent homicide?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-16-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Looks like somebody won a Darwin award. Well two actually, the judge and the person who offed themselves. The woman is innocent of any crime.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM

This female is the real life Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XPClOckPs

Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But with all those texts she was sending and receiving on her phone - never an attempt to punch in 9-1-1?

So??? Like she has a duty to mankind, or something?
Treating this as if she pulled the trigger, is so wrong in many ways.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:24 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Let's say person A's girlfriend is suicidal and person A knew this for a fact. Person A gave the girlfriend a loaded gun and told her, "just pull the trigger and you would be free from all the pain." The girlfriend ended up died. That is not criminally negligent homicide?
Poor analogy. She didn't hand him a loaded gun. She wasn't even in the same vicinity. That's what makes this charge wrong. She couldn't have forced him to get into that car from a distance even if she had wanted to. He chose to do that himself.

Quote:
This female is the real life Dr. Hannibal Lecter.
Oh, brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies