Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Jorma only has the best leading his classes.
How much does it cost to take these classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 12:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
How much does it cost to take these classes?
It's like $1500 for a weekend. But that includes lodging and the Saturday night concert by the one leading the class that weekend.

I never could get the hang of it so I really appreciate those who are good at it but dang, I would have paid the money to sit in on Denny Laine's class just to listen to his stories. LOL (his class is on rhythm guitar) The classes are very limited. Around 10 I think.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
As noted, this has been Waters thing for years. His songs are saying the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BqA6KMTAAA

One of my favorites.
Wow, I can understand why they flew a Pig with Trump on it, it's almost as if this song was written with him in mind (only it was 40+ years ago). Last stanza in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGS Lyrics
Hey you, White House
Ha, ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse
Ha, ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
You got to stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary you're nearly a treat
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry

Old 07-11-2017, 01:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
I don't know which is odder: that the clueless go to this concert and are offended by political content in these abnormal times; or that anyone cares enough to go see some arena-rock from the '70's at all.
There is few acts out there that stick out from the 60's and into 70's... Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Rush, Led Zeppelin... Pink Floyd.

If Gilmour and Waters got together they could probably get way with calling it Pink Floyd, they would not be playing arenas. They would fill stadiums for multi night shows at the same stadium. That's guaranteed.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It's like $1500 for a weekend. But that includes lodging and the Saturday night concert by the one leading the class that weekend.

I never could get the hang of it so I really appreciate those who are good at it but dang, I would have paid the money to sit in on Denny Laine's class just to listen to his stories. LOL (his class is on rhythm guitar) The classes are very limited. Around 10 I think.
That is actually a bargain. I would definitely do that. I imagine there is a huge waiting list.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wow, I can understand why they flew a Pig with Trump on it, it's almost as if this song was written with him in mind (only it was 40+ years ago). Last stanza in particular:
Waters has also flown a pig with a Star of David on it.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Waters has also flown a pig with a Star of David on it.
I'd actually like to see a floating fish or chicken instead.

In regards to Floyd and politics, I just disregard the political bs and enjoy the music. If they take that option away from me by incorporating politics into their lyrics, well then I'll disregard those songs/albums.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You might want to avoid Pink Floyd shows, then. Were you there, having the message rammed down your... throat, was it?
I saw a Pink Floyd concert at the San Diego Laserium when I was in the Navy. No political message. Just some stoner lamenting he wasn't high.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Pink Floyd were ALWAYS political. Roger Waters is very much outspoken and political.

I'm surprised that anyone who is an actual fan of the band would expect otherwise.
I tend to disagree with you.

Most of the music and movies I liked never had a hint of politics associated with the musicians/actors. Even the gossip magazines back then (which I didn't read) talked about affairs, strife within the band, etc., not their political views.
So if I heard a great song on the radio or really enjoyed a movie starring a particular actor/actress, I didn't know or want to know what their politics were.
Even if I had a favorite group and maybe even knew some of their names, I certainly didn't know anything about their personal lives or views.

Pink Floyd is a perfect example. Had I not heard or read about Waters, I would have a clue about his politics. The same would have been true of Ted Nugent, had I not heard about him on TV or read about his views in the news.
If I like say Gene Hackman or Meryl Streep for example, I have no clue what his/her personal live/views are, I just enjoy their acting. Yet when they start spewing their beliefs just because they are entertainers, it annoys me.
I go to relax and be entertained, not listen to politics. The same would be true if one of them were religious and started waxing about God and then lecturing us on being sinners. Who wants that when you are going for some fun.

Quote:
They aren't in it for just the money?

They were always political and so why would they stop when they get famous?

They're rich now and don't give a crap if people don't like their politics?

Those are a few reasons off the top of my head.

I also doubt it's "half" their fan base. Trump only has the full support of less than 1/3 of voters, and not all of them are young enough to brave an arena show anymore, so yeah... I doubt it's at all half... and that would still only be half of their US fans as I doubt anyone in Australia gives a crap if they complain about Trump.
Wow, we really disagree on this subject. For starters you assume they are not in it for the money, but I do not see any of them saying if you are an X or a Y, don't bother to buy a ticket, because we do not want your money.
Nor are they offering to return money from a significant portion of their fans which undoubtedly think the opposite way they do.

For example, Don Henley of the Eagles has gotten very rich over the decades, and has many people who enjoy their music from both sides of the political spectrum in America. He certainly does not need the money, yet he still wants more.
That became very evident when Glenn Frey died, and Henley said that was the end of the Eagles. Yet a year later, he decided to reform the Eagles without Frey, all for the money. Big fans of Frey are aghast and upset, and now realize Henley is much more about the money than they ever knew. Years ago they blasted Don Felder for saying so in his book, but now realize Felder was right.

In regard to Trumps supporters, he got close to 50% of all the votes, so rest assured a large portion of the people at Waters concert were Trump voters. I suspect the same is true in reverse of Nugent fans, who may love his music, but not like his politics. Sure if he or Henley did a concert to benefit a particular cause/candidate, most of the people showing up for such an event knows where they stand, and are of a like mind.
However, if it is just a regular tour date, many the fans who like their music are not going to agree with or want to hear their politics.
Make sense?

`

Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I tend to disagree with you.

Most of the music and movies I liked never had a hint of politics associated with the musicians/actors. Even the gossip magazines back then (which I didn't read) talked about affairs, strife within the band, etc., not their political views.
So if I heard a great song on the radio or really enjoyed a movie starring a particular actor/actress, I didn't know or want to know what their politics were.
Even if I had a favorite group and maybe even knew some of their names, I certainly didn't know anything about their personal lives or views.

Pink Floyd is a perfect example. Had I not heard or read about Waters, I would have a clue about his politics. The same would have been true of Ted Nugent, had I not heard about him on TV or read about his views in the news.
If I like say Gene Hackman or Meryl Streep for example, I have no clue what his/her personal live/views are, I just enjoy their acting. Yet when they start spewing their beliefs just because they are entertainers, it annoys me.
I go to relax and be entertained, not listen to politics. The same would be true if one of them were religious and started waxing about God and then lecturing us on being sinners. Who wants that when you are going for some fun.
You can't listen to Pink Floyd and not understand the politics behind the music. Nugent, sure. Nugent pretty much sang about one thing and it wasn't politics.

"Hey you Whitehouse, ha ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse, ha ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies