Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Ask the Air Traffic Controllers how the union worked out for them.
It's important to search deeper for the truth. When politicians take sides in union-management disputes the union usually loses. Reagan's firing of the air traffic controllers was only the opening salvo in a war on private sector unions. The war on public sector unions continues.

Here is another instance where government took sides in a labor dispute. It reads more like actions taken by a Colombian death squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
I have mix feelings on this subject and we have all seen the Unions driving business off shore. Union can find a place if they offer the owners of business a benefit to their business.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know what happened, I was around then. But it's apparent that it did not cause the employees to reject unionization did it? There have been other cases where strikes were ended or avoided by government intervention that does not make unions bad or prove them to be without value, all union members know that's a possibility and no union that I'm aware of wants to go on strike but just because a union might lose a battle does not render it 'bad' or 'worthless'.
One can't give information to some people, because they posses a mentality, which states. "Don't confuse me with facts, because I already got my mind made up"....

MLK describes it best: He said, there is nothing in America, more dangerous than Conscientious Stupidity and Sincere Ignorance...

Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
I know what happened, I was around then. But it's apparent that it did not cause the employees to reject unionization did it? .
As long as they obey the law, that is their option w/o consequences.

It is management's option , at all times, to seek alternative options, w/o consequences. The Twinkienistas found that out. Its 5 years in November for them. Hopefully there was a great market for knowing how to inject a puff of cream into an object.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
From what I've read here, the naysayers seem to come out of three categories:

1) those who have unfortunately been involved with a bad/weak union

2) those who are fortunate enough to have a job that pays fairly, offers great benefits, etc in a non-Union company

3) those that have had no personal experience with unions, but have bought into all of the anti-union propaganda.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM

BTW, I am not a UAW fan, but their margin of defeat was huge at Nissan. They only got 37% of the vote. It would be wise for them to stop futile attempts at the Southeastern plants, which pay well relative to low COL, and offer tremendous job stability.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I have mix feelings on this subject and we have all seen the Unions driving business off shore. Union can find a place if they offer the owners of business a benefit to their business.
The company I have worked for on and off for the last 30 years broke the union in Chicago in 1905.

That didn't stop them from off-shoring anything. They flowed jobs from big cities to small towns, then from state to state and later from small rural towns with lower costs of living across the border and across the Pacific. Unions never factored into it.

It is a cold calculation devoid of human interest.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Also, in response to those who seem to have the impression that people should just quit and find another job if they don't like it, depending on where you are, that may not be easy.

For instance, when my husband was in the Marine Corps, we lived in a town whose entire existance was dependent on the base. There were bars, strip clubs, gas stations, retail and motels. There was no real industry of any sort.

Therefore, civilian jobs (plus civilian jobs on base) were highly coveted not only by the residents of the town and military spouses and adult children, but from the impoverished surrounding towns inland and those on the coast with only seasonal economies.

Once you got a job, no matter how poor the conditions, at the time it was in your best interest to keep it because there was so much competition for every available job. I knew women with masters degrees working almost minimum wage retail jobs. The employers knew they yielded the power and many took advantage.

There are other cities in the U.S where I'm sure circumstances are similar.

Unions would have really, really helped in a town like that one.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
As long as they obey the law, that is their option w/o consequences.

It is management's option , at all times, to seek alternative options, w/o consequences. The Twinkienistas found that out. Its 5 years in November for them. Hopefully there was a great market for knowing how to inject a puff of cream into an object.
I didn't matter much what the union did and they knew it, automation was going to happen irregardless and the payroll has been reduced from 8,000 employees to 1,100. The other thing was they gained the ability to make those nasty globs of grease with a 2 month shelf life rather than one week, so that meant they could produce larger quantities at a time and do so nationally rather than regionally. And to be honest, far fewer people are willing to eat that crap than they were 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I didn't matter much what the union did and they knew it, automation was going to happen irregardless and the payroll has been reduced from 8,000 employees to 1,100. The other thing was they gained the ability to make those nasty globs of grease with a 2 month shelf life rather than one week, so that meant they could produce larger quantities at a time and do so nationally rather than regionally. And to be honest, far fewer people are willing to eat that crap than they were 20 or 30 years ago.
Wonder how the 18,500 fired Twinkienistas are doing? Did "I can inject cream in a filling" impress hiring managers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies