Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,246,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why don't they get some real job skills then? No one should be expecting to raise a family on fast food restaurant wages. If someone is good at grilling burgers, then go get a job at a real restaurant and learn how to become a chef. A cashier can graduate to being a server at a fine restaurant.

Low wages are for starter jobs, not anything that should be expected to be a career. And if they do, then they are indeed slackers that somehow want to spend their entire lives doing menial work. And that is no America's problem to fix. Life rewards the ambitious, and that's the way it should be. Why rewards anyone who is content floating through life and having babies willy-nilly?
Only a idiot breeds when they can't afford to raise them. Lots of idiots out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Without immigrants our agricultural system would collapse. Instead of pointing fingers at immigrants maybe blame the rich for undercutting native peoples wages in the pursuit of profit.
Ahhhh the leftist version of modern day slavery. Must have illegals and migrant workers to get paid pennies on the dollar to counter high prices...

Meanwhile, in a past thread pertaining to this very flawed idea, I posted videos of harvesting equipment that yes do cost a farmer a pretty penny up front, but is tax deductible... and cheaper in the long run if maintained properly, than hiring at a discounted rate... also faster and more efficient too

Whether it was strawberries, apples, citrus, grapes, potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage/lettuce, there's a machine for that.
Heck, I've seen the one in Okeechobee at an orange Grove that has this rubber/nylon looking belt, that grabs the trees, a circular net goes above it, and this thing shakes the hell out of the tree and it collects the fruit in the net, goes up a conveyor belt into a bed of a dump truck and off to Tropicana to be made into juice. Bring that to an orchard up in NY for apples. To Georgia for peaches etc...

If you want modern day slavery, I suppose one could keep using 17th century harvesting practices in place with hands and a basket... or get with the times and buy equipment to do it faster and more efficiently...

Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,246,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, they do. Americans are hopelessly addicted to big government handouts, and they know it.

You too. Try and get rid of any entitlement program, and watch all the conservatives come alive like those mummies in Thriller.
Uh not me. I minimize what I pay in taxes because the fed just pisses it away. I don't have health insurance thus I fund no one.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,946,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Pretty arrogant of you to assume you know what "would improve" the lives of people you don't even know. In fact, such statements that you get to decide what is best for anyone is paternalistic and insulting.
Oh yea free healthcare would hurt the working class. In fact the working class is better off with no social safety net at all. Besides those poor rich people can get slightly lower taxes its a win win.

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Would somebody please define, "working class." Almost everybody works (unless they are retired). Even the CEO of a major corporation get's up every day, gets dressed, and goes to work, and the CEO's at the companies I used to work for were usually the first to arrive and the last to leave. I never saw them lined up at the door waiting for the clock to strike 4:00 PM to leave. Most of them put in more than 8 hours every day.
Working class is people who are above the poverty line but in non-management/non-professional level positions. So I am working class, even though I make $52k/year, because I'm a local truck driver

5,472 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How about people do what it takes to help themselves instead of demanding that government take what they need from other people to give to them.
You missed the whole point... Therefore, I'll leave you to your own thoughts.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Are you saying all other countries with universal country are lazy? Canadians, especially Blue-collar Albertans beg to differ. They know they are getting their money's worth and the system will always be there for them. And they wouldn't trade it for a U.S style private health care system.
This is just a personal anecdote but it was pretty revealing to me.

A few years ago I took a fairly common antibiotic for one week, and it destroyed both my Achilles tendons. So I had to have surgery on one, and then the other. No fun.

Anyway, so I was using the US healthcare system. After the first surgery, I realized that renting a knee scooter for $15 a week was a real life saver and made a huge difference in my quality of life, and was safer than trying to get around non weight bearing on crutches for weeks. So I gladly shelled out the $15 a week for about 6 weeks the second time (as well as the first time). Had I known at the time of the first surgery that I'd need to use a knee scooter again, I probably would have just bought one for about $200. Then donated it when I was done.

I could have filed this on my insurance but it was so cheap I just thought to heck with it and shelled out the $15 a week.

So - I joined this international support group for people who have had Achilles tendon problems, ruptures, issues from antibiotics, surgery, etc. Many of the group members are Canadian.

Get this. Not only could they not rent a knee scooter in Canada - they couldn't buy one either. Not in Canada. They'd have to travel to the US to buy one. You know why? Because knee scooters were outlawed in Canada. And Canadian medical plans certainly weren't going to pay any portion of any knee scooter usage.

Not only that - the Canadians in general in the group were forced not to have surgery in many cases - they weren't given the option, surgery simply wasn't an option. This is because it's more expensive. You can sometimes heal some Achilles tendon injuries via non surgical routes - and sometimes we do that here in the US as well, because it's less invasive and sometimes it's the most appropriate route to take. But most of the time, we here have two options - either surgery or attempting the healing without surgery (often you end up having to have surgery anyway but sometimes the non surgical approach works).

Both options have pros and cons. There is a slightly higher risk of infection with surgery (of course) but a MUCH higher rate of rerupture without surgery. So here in the US, sometimes your surgeon will lay out both options and just let the patient decide, if either option is appropriate.

No such choice in Canada. If the doctor determines that you may be able to heal without surgery, that option is off the table, even if you WANT surgery due to the much lower risk of rerupture. Doesn't matter - you're not getting that surgery.

I just thought that was interesting.

By the way, the surgery is outpatient surgery. I had it done on both ankles with no problems whatsoever. I was walking normally both times in 8 weeks, no cast or boot. Non surgical approach requires many more months of clumping around on crutches and in a boot or cast. The recovery time is significantly longer. But hey - it's cheaper!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,946,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Let me get this straight...

You want to use the force of government to take away what people have earned by their own labor and give it to able bodied people who refuse to work their way up and provide for themselves the way that the people you're taking from did?

And you accuse others of wanting to "screw" people?
I want people who work to be able to pay rent and eat yes. You seem confused poor people work harder and longer than many middle class workers yet they make less. If someone is homeless and unable to find a job should we just ignore them? Give them nothing? This is where right wing ideology breaks down its based on elitism a hatred of the poor and downright lies about the working poor.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,467 times
Every society can improve by analysing how other societies perform better. Are Americans humble enough to do that?

Old 09-02-2017, 10:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Oh yea free healthcare would hurt the working class. In fact the working class is better off with no social safety net at all. Besides those poor rich people can get slightly lower taxes its a win win.
Do you actually think people b*tch for the hell of it? Left wing politics hurt the middle class. Left wing policies are for the uber rich and the dependent poor and to answer your question, people are fed up with both.

If you don't pry your mind open to understand outside your own world, then take a good hard look at your life as it is now, you better like the way it is because it won't get any better in your future. Just because you graduated HS (if you did) doesn't mean you stop learning and learning requires that you stop being so hard headed, stop thinking you know it all and opening your mind to new idea's and realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies