Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This!
No one will acknowledge it.

Easier to blame people than to acknowledge a systemic problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Operative word is basically not having a life. If I didn't give my fiance at least some time each day, she'd probably leave me. I'd rather die with her than die rich and alone
No one on their deathbed has said, "I wish I spent more time at work".

Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I've never been rich.

I used to be poor.

I worked my way to middle class on my own.

It took me decades to accomplish, but I did it without a degree and without government handouts.

Thinking that other able bodied people cannot accomplish what I did is where Left wing ideology breaks down and the soft bigotry of low expectations takes over.
amen.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Other people are not my problem.
Except if they're in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Uh not me. I minimize what I pay in taxes because the fed just pisses it away. I don't have health insurance thus I fund no one.
What was the last war you opposed?

Old 09-02-2017, 03:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why don't they get some real job skills then? No one should be expecting to raise a family on fast food restaurant wages. If someone is good at grilling burgers, then go get a job at a real restaurant and learn how to become a chef. A cashier can graduate to being a server at a fine restaurant.

Low wages are for starter jobs, not anything that should be expected to be a career. And if they do, then they are indeed slackers that somehow want to spend their entire lives doing menial work. And that is no America's problem to fix. Life rewards the ambitious, and that's the way it should be. Why rewards anyone who is content floating through life and having babies willy-nilly?
For starters, not all poor people have babies "willy-nilly." That is a myth, and an ugly one, to boot.

There are several other things wrong with your argument. Not everyone has the ability to train for a better job. Are those who do not less deserving of a living wage, one that allows them to afford life's necessities? Also, even every single person in the country got some "real" skills, someone would still have to do those jobs. I'm not just talking about fast food jobs, either. There are many jobs that do not pay well, but make all of our lives easier: janitors, school bus drivers, retail employees, nursing home attendants, and the list just goes on and on. People can make the argument that low-wage jobs are for teenagers, but there are lots of jobs teens cannot, by law, do, and many of them do not pay well. By all means, let's have everyone acquire "real" skills, so we can have more college graduates saddled with debt, doing menial work that won't pay the bills, because the competition is more fierce than ever. Really good jobs are not infinite in number.

Last of all - and perhaps this will appeal to your common sense, if your common decency is impossible to awaken - when people who work are paid so little that they must supplement their wages with government assistance, it means the taxpayers are effectively subsidizing their employers. Does that make you happy? If it does, good for you. I just makes me mad.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
For example universal healthcare should be a no brainer the US is one of the least efficient countries when it comes to healthcare as a advanced nation. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...east-efficient

The same goes for robust welfare programs many working class people would stand to gain alot by having strong systems in place to protect them from poverty if a job is lost. It honestly makes no sense to me. Looking for some clarification.
It's a head scratcher for sure.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,480 times
Most of them vote for the conservatives due to immigration rhetoric etc, the cultural ties and affinity with your own kind mean more to them than their pocketbooks.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:31 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,512,657 times
Move somewhere where you think Universal stuff is great. You will soon love the USA even more..

Old 09-02-2017, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Why do so many working class americans vote against policies and people that would improve there lives?
We should start with education. Clearly we are failing.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Except if they're in Iraq or Afghanistan.

What was the last war you opposed?
Still not my problem.

I oppose all war but if it comes to that I would conduct it with unremitting harshness and not this mamby pamby nonsense that is currently being conducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies