Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why didn't the self-righteous people just say " Sorry, can't fit that one into my schedule, the place up the street is pretty good" BUT, NO, we gotta be self righteous and draw attention to ourselves.

The gay couple drama queens and the praying in public, hypocrites behaving like snowflakes deserve each other.
Basically this. Like, yes, they probably should just go to another bakery, but money is money. Glad I'm not the only one that finds both sides of this argument obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yes, yes they do...lol
Be curious to see some of their views. The right likes the LGTBQ discrimination but generally has trouble with discrimination against Blacks. And we should not kid ourselves. It would immediately come back in certain places if legally allowed.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
They went to a known conservative Christian baker and said they wanted a customized gay rainbow wedding cake because they figured they could "stick it to him" and make him do something they knew he didn't want to do once gay marriage was legalized...and legalized incorrectly by SCOUTS I might add.

The baker would be good to deny service based on them being ashholes never mind gay. It's no longer a live and let live goal, it's a "do what we want or else" goal and that's good for no one. I'm thrilled with this decision because it's the only one that makes logical and rational sense. If you have brain you will agree.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,565,672 times
Religion should be no justification for bigotry and discrimination. Anyone that uses it in such a fashion tarnishes it.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Creating the cake for the wedding is making a direct, material contribution to the wedding. A type of wedding he has a religious objection to.

Would you force a devout Muslim to cater an outdoor pig roast?

Why is this so difficult to understand?
I don't know does the Muslim offer pig roasts as a service? The baker did offer wedding cake services.

Baking a cake for any event is not participating or contributing to the event, it is providing a service that you offered to the public in exchange for monetary compensation.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They went to a known conservative Christian baker and said they wanted a customized gay rainbow wedding cake because they figured they could "stick it to him" and make him do something they knew he didn't want to do once gay marriage was legalized...and legalized incorrectly by SCOUTS I might add.

The baker would be good to deny service based on them being ashholes never mind gay. It's no longer a live and let live goal, it's a "do what we want or else" goal and that's good for no one. I'm thrilled with this decision because it's the only one that makes logical and rational sense. If you have brain you will agree.
Both parties have stated, in court documents, that the design of the cake was ever discussed.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't know does the Muslim offer pig roasts as a service? The baker did offer wedding cake services.

Baking a cake for any event is not participating or contributing to the event, it is providing a service that you offered to the public in exchange for monetary compensation.
Wrong.

When it's done for a wedding reception, it then involves the baker's religious beliefs as they see fit, what marriage is to them, etc.

And in any case, tell it to the judge.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Well, there you have it folks.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:54 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"The government agreed with Philips that his cakes are a form of expression, and he cannot be compelled to use his talents for something in which he does not believe."

Expression my ass.

This guy is in the business of providing a service to the public, and as such he needs to respect all his customers wishes.
If he can't, then he has no business being in a business that caters to the public.

Bob.
No, he doesn't have to do every order demanded by all customers. He has refused other jobs based on his beliefs. He doesn't even do Halloween products. I love Halloween, and would be disappointed if I was refused a custom cake for my party, so I would then go to another bakery for that particular product. No harm, even though I know the baker does not share my belief that Halloween is cool.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No, he doesn't have to do every order demanded by all customers. He has refused other jobs based on his beliefs. He doesn't even do Halloween products. I love Halloween, and would be disappointed if I was refused a custom cake for my party, so I would then go to another bakery for that particular product. No harm, even though I know the baker does not share my belief that Halloween is cool.
If you are a witch or s Wiccan you might have a case. But Halloween lovers are not a protected class,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies