Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If you are a witch or s Wiccan you might have a case. But Halloween lovers are not a protected class,
He doesn't do any Halloween cakes so I doubt he could be forced to do one for a Wiccan. I imagine he would decline to make any cake for a Pagan ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Maybe reason is making a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Beliefs have no place in business, if your business is dealing directly with the public.

Leave your beliefs at home when conducting business, and leave your business at your business address when home.

Bob.
Bob, you probably aren't religious, you obviously don't run a business, and you are uninformed as to the Constitution.

Religious beliefs are a full time gig, not to be parked at the door when you go to work. Get a clue, or you'll start forfeiting the rights you do cherish.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and direct response to it

Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
That same baker won't do divorce celebration cakes either but someone who wants one doesn't complain, he just goes down the street to a baker who will do divorce celebration cakes. Easy huh?

One is naïve if they don't see the agenda that is going on here. I think it is backfiring on the gay community really bad though. Even a lot of gays think it is not right.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times
I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a cake from a bakery that doesn't want to serve them. If forced, the bakery staff might spike the cake with some unpleasant fluid that you normally wouldn't want in a cake.

If you're the refused customer, tell them where to shove their large bags of flour and go somewhere else.

Businesses refuse to perform service all the time, right or wrong. We can't sue everyone who hurts our feelings.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
The govt is not supposed to take sides on a private business matter. If this was Walmart or Google, then it can be taken up to court.

If the govt has to get involved in all kinds of small business matter, they don't have the resources. As for the gay couple, the reason gays do it is to force the public perception and has nothing to do with the business at all. There are plenty of bakers but as we know the gay community likes to play the big bully under the Obama administration but no sympathy here. Finally we have a govt under Trump that does not over step on private business matters.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Inconvenience...it's a lot more than inconvenience!

I grew up in a time where there was horrible discrimination at times...and I have seen just how ugly that can be...
I would never want to go back to that. We as a Country, are better than that.

Everyone has the right to the pursuit of happiness and liberty. And to not be treated like a piece of garbage
because of their skin color, nationality, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Discrimination is illegal...against the law, and if you can't open up and operate a business within the specific of the
legality of the law, then you shouldn't open up a business to begin with.
Tell that to the Muslim bakers. LOL

Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a cake from a bakery that doesn't want to serve them. If forced, the bakery staff might spike the cake with some unpleasant fluid that you normally wouldn't want in a cake.

If you're the refused customer, tell them where to shove their large bags of flour and go somewhere else.

Businesses refuse to perform service all the time, right or wrong. We can't sue everyone who hurts our feelings.
Some gays have thrown the cake away or worse taken it to a homeless shelter just in case it's been tampered with---maybe I can google it to show you so you can see, it's just to get people to accept them like bullies do, not for the cake. DUH

Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Both parties have stated, in court documents, that the design of the cake was never discussed.
True, but the baker knew what preparing a custom wedding cake involved for him. It involved more than selling pre-made cupcakes or adding names to an off the shelf wedding cake. Nor is a custom wedding cake a peripheral part of a wedding. The Colorado law as applied In This Case violated the baker's 1st Amendment rights.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times
I am aware of the bigger picture, the real motivation behind these things. I was addressing my comments to the well meaning but misinformed gay people who sympathize, of which there are many. DUH

Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That same baker won't do divorce celebration cakes either but someone who wants one doesn't complain, he just goes down the street to a baker who will do divorce celebration cakes. Easy huh?

One is naïve if they don't see the agenda that is going on here. I think it is backfiring on the gay community really bad though. Even a lot of gays think it is not right.
Who cares what gay people think? -it's not about them, but about all people.

If one business can discriminate in whatever way the choose, then all business should be able to, including life saving services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies