Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:08 PM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Please explain, that is what I have been asking you and your sole reason to date has been "Because it has always been done that way."

So, no repeats of the "tradition" business, please provide the actual, critical reasons as to why a play may begin without the anthem, but a sporting event may not.

My reason is not because its always been done that way (you were the one who said that). It has been explained, excerpts copied and pasted and the OP even provided a link to one article. You can find many web sites that will go into detail concerning the history of the NA being played at sporting events if you bother to look and actually read them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My reason is not because its always been done that way (you were the one who said that). It has been explained, excerpts copied and pasted and the OP even provided a link to one article. You can find many web sites that will go into detail concerning the history of the NA being played at sporting events if you bother to look and actually read them.
I see a post where none of the requested reasons were provided. My conclusion is that you do not have any.

Should you discover some, let us know. Otherwise there seems little point in continuing this discussion.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Better put the flags away too. They will be spitting on those before games by next season.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Is that the entire reason for the sacrifices? So that we may enjoy sports?
Of course not.

There is the added benefit of keeping Wall Street happy.

Quote:
Is the reason that we don't have the anthem played before a theatrical play that our boys were not fighting for theater, just sports?

Which of these two propositions would you support?

A) That the anthem must be played before any recreational event where five or more people have gathered.
B) That the anthem isn't played before any recreational events.

How about......

C) I don't care either way.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Send your gripes to:
officeofcommissioner@nfl.com

Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
I see a post where none of the requested reasons were provided. My conclusion is that you do not have any.

Should you discover some, let us know. Otherwise there seems little point in continuing this discussion.
You will either educate yourself on the subject or not. My bet is on not so yes there is no point in continuing the discussion with you.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
The democrats have made it trendy to be anti-American-- let's not give them any more space to do so.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Give me some good reasons why the National Anthem should stop being played, I will listen. I read every single post in this thread, so far, I am not so convinced why it should be stopped.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I don't have to stand for the anthem either. Isn't it good that we have a freedom of choice?
Wait, what are you arguing really?

Are you arguing the national anthem should stop being played, period

or you are arguing, you don't have to stand for the anthem.

You are arguing about two completely different subjects here.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Should they stop serving alcohol, food, etc. during the playing of the National Anthem at a stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies