Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygiboy View Post
What about that second Verse ?
S/he probably has never seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
S/he probably has never seen it.
Yes I know about the flag stands through those battles.

So many of this division in our country stems from the political correctness movement that has been slowly burning over the years/decades IMO. It's reaching the point of absurdity, having these almost pointless discussions about expressionism which is NOTHING like action.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
The USA is a different beast altogether, because its very foundation stems from the diversity of cultures and ethnicities. Patriotism in the US is about certain ideas and moral codes on which the country was founded. Therefore, American people can't be nationalists in the classic sense.
As the child of Europeans (Italians, in fact, to connect with your metaphor) I think you have grossly misunderstood the point.

Sure, the US cannot be patriotic in the classical sense.

Nothing will stop those people from trying.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
I don't think so but it shouldn't be a forced into thing. LONG before the first athletes knelt, I've seen able bodied people who paid to be in attendence sit during the anthem. I've also heard boos from Canadians during the Star Spangled Banner or from Americans during Oh Canada at hockey games. Mind you, the minority of players are actually American.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:26 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJNL_rhGDq4

Old 09-25-2017, 03:35 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Great question! I would love to see all of the self declared patriots attempt to defend the racism and love of slavery displayed in the full version of the Star Spangled Banner. If we are going to play the song, we should play the entire thing.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I also find it ironic that Francis Scott Key wrote a verse which was critical of black men that were fighting for the British which had made them free men instead of supporting the Americans that wanted to keep them in bondage as slaves. That is basically the same issue being brought up by the national anthem protests. Certain white men want black men to just shut up and go with the flow. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
[quote=Katarina Witt;49628835]And when were you in Europe to observe this? I don't remember seeing the flag in the European countries I've been in, but I don't remember not seeing it either. I do know that Canadians are big on displaying their Maple Leaf here in the US on all kinds of objects.

Do you have a link to Keillor's piece? I heard a talk he gave once years ago about the national anthem; it was quite moving. I'll point out Keillor is no conservative.

It was last weeks column in my daily paper that has been recycled already.

Bet you can google. The column was about hymns and anthems

Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
I've never really cared either way. I've always stood for it growing up when it was played at games (either as a participant or as a spectator). That said, I'm fine with others free speech to kneel (it's pretty harmless). The anthem has never seemed super necessary, but I never complained about it, either.

I think it's interesting how much hubb bubb is generated over this issue considering the majority of people watching these games do not see the national anthem. Outside of the really big games (such as the Super Bowl), the national anthem is very rarely aired on TV.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 09-25-2017 at 03:56 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 03:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Great question! I would love to see all of the self declared patriots attempt to defend the racism and love of slavery displayed in the full version of the Star Spangled Banner. If we are going to play the song, we should play the entire thing.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I also find it ironic that Francis Scott Key wrote a verse which was critical of black men that were fighting for the British which had made them free men instead of supporting the Americans that wanted to keep them in bondage as slaves. That is basically the same issue being brought up by the national anthem protests. Certain white men want black men to just shut up and go with the flow. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
According to this article, the words have been changed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner
"And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

Sort of like "My Old Kentucky Home" no longer references the "darkies", and many hymns have been made gender-neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And when were you in Europe to observe this? I don't remember seeing the flag in the European countries I've been in, but I don't remember not seeing it either. I do know that Canadians are big on displaying their Maple Leaf here in the US on all kinds of objects.

Do you have a link to Keillor's piece? I heard a talk he gave once years ago about the national anthem; it was quite moving. I'll point out Keillor is no conservative.

It was last weeks column in my daily paper that has been recycled already.

Bet you can google. The column was about hymns and anthems
This it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.51b93d2400a3

We saw Keillor on this tour, at the Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms. He had us singing quite a few songs, including "My Country Tis of Thee". I kind of wish he'd included "America the Beautiful" as it was written about Colorado.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's less than fake patriotism. It's just a ritual that we will probably keep. Most people couldn't care less about the pre-game national anthem. It only rarely shows up on TV broadcasts because it is considered a waste of time and cuts into commercials or commentators' remarks. On some occasions it is a curiosity based on what celebrity is going to sing it (or screw it up). Do people in the beer line even notice?
The biggest problem about this is that it wasn't even part of opening game ceremonies until 2009.. when Pentagon sent multi millions to Sport teams ( especially NFL) to promote patriotism since they wanted those Americans INLIST into the Military Service!! Prior to that.. NOPE~~ Anthem// Flag waving was missing!

I actually only witnessed this during INTERNATIONAL games/Olympics etc etc.. when a group of players came together to perform for their Country... Certainly not in dAY TO DAY GAMES! THAT ONLT BCAME COMMON IN 2009 WHEN PENTEGON WANTED TO PROMOTE!!

THIS WHOLE HULLABALLOO is only Idiot POTUS trying to stoke his base with RED MEAT!! Most don't give a care and those ho voted against knee taking likely have zero info that it's only been happening for about 8 years!! NOT some legacy and more important.. demonstrates support for Country much less Patriotism!!

It's dog whistle politics only.. It's not whether or not you kneel or cross yourself or claim cr@p .. It's what you do daily that reaches the communities and reaching out to young people!! Course POTUS wouldn't EVEN be aware of the work these athletes do.. since he only interacts with POWER PLAYERS ( OWNERS) .. BUT guess POTUS realizes he has actually screwed himself.. Wonder IF any of the multi-million donors will feel like donating down the road for this IDIOT???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies