Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 01:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

We are somehow or other able to start theatrical plays, movies, the opera, ballets, musical concerts, pie eating contests, three legged races....all without the need for some display of mass patriotism on the part of the participants and audience.

I suspect that we could start baseball, basketball and football games without this display as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Interesting point. I wonder how many people stand up in their living rooms while the anthem is playing?
"Do as I say, ..."

Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.
Man this is the most communist post I have seen on city data in a while.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We are somehow or other able to start theatrical plays, movies, the opera, ballets, musical concerts, pie eating contests, three legged races....all without the need for some display of mass patriotism on the part of the participants and audience.

I suspect that we could start baseball, basketball and football games without this display as well.
Yes we could. And we should have them without tailgate parties, cheerleaders and colors. We could do away with groundhog day, Santa clause, the flag, fireworks on the 4th, turkey on thanksgiving, veterans day for sure, presidents day, elections even.
Standing ovations after plays and concerts and county fairs. Lets do away with all things set as American traditions and anything patriotic.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
For International events then the anthem should be played.

playing the National Anthem in the NFL to honor our veterans and active duty soldiers around the world has been a tradition of the NFL since the 60's.....we don't need an international sporting event to honor them.

It has been a tradition from the NFL since the 60's.......deal with the kneelers for their personal politics and personal agenda and leave the tradition alone. Its an honor to our Veterans alive and dead and to the active duty soldiers around the world fighting......is that too much of a burden to ask....or should the NFL give in to the kneelers and cancel the tradition, that would be stupid.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes we could. And we should have them without tailgate parties, cheerleaders and colors. We could do away with groundhog day, Santa clause, the flag, fireworks on the 4th, turkey on thanksgiving, veterans day for sure, presidents day, elections even.
Standing ovations after plays and concerts and county fairs. Lets do away with all things set as American traditions and anything patriotic.
Damn straight. I agree, let's do away with all of that.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Damn straight. I agree, let's do away with all of that.
Yeah. Do away with America. Or just go live in a country where their traditions are more to your liking.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah. Do away with America. Or just go live in a country where their traditions are more to your liking.
I would guess that you are unfamiliar with the logical fallacy known as the slippery slope argument.

Otherwise you probably would not have employed it.

I suggested that we could have baseball and football games without the need for a musical affirmation of everyone's patriotism. I suggested nothing else, all these other scenarios are your contribution.

If you wish to make a coherent response to my post, you should argue why we cannot have baseball or football games without the anthem being played first. Argue against what I wrote, not against what you imagine I am advocating. Okay?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Man this is the most communist post I have seen on city data in a while.
Thanks.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I would guess that you are unfamiliar with the logical fallacy known as the slippery slope argument.

Otherwise you probably would not have employed it.

I suggested that we could have baseball and football games without the need for a musical affirmation of everyone's patriotism. I suggested nothing else, all these other scenarios are your contribution.

If you wish to make a coherent response to my post, you should argue why we cannot have baseball or football games without the anthem being played first. Argue against what I wrote, not against what you imagine I am advocating. Okay?
I have actually stated an argument more than once.
We established a tradition of playing the NA and standing during ball games. This is why we do it during ball games and not for theatrical plays, movies, the opera, ballets, musical concerts, pie eating contests, three legged races.
Why the need to stop this long standing tradition and why compare it to standing for the NA in our homes or at plays, movies, opera, etc. If one wants to push to remove this particular tradition why stop there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies